The Student Room Group

OCR AS Government and Politics Exam 2016

Hi everyone,

I've not found an official OCR thread for this years F851 and F852 exams; if there is one please let me know.

I'm retaking this years AS exams as last year I did awfully and annoyingly I can't remember any of the questions.

The exam structure for F851 goes:
Mandatory -
.Political Parties
.Pressure Groups
Choose one -
.Electoral Systems and Referendums
.UK Parliamentary Elections
.Voting Behaviour in the UK

The exam structure for F852 goes:
Mandatory -
.The Executive
.The Legislature
Choose one -
.The Constitution
.The Judiciary
.The EU

I've personally decided on learning the compulsory sections (obviously), as well as:
parliamentary elections, voting behaviour, the constitution and the judiciary.
I really don't like the other two and I'm willing to take a 50/50 on both exams.

Does anyone have any predictions for what may come up this year or any advice on how to answer questions in this exam? I don't feel very prepared for it. :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Wow thank you -- someone else who's actually taking the OCR course!!

I have honestly no idea what's going to come up in the exam...

I've focused on learning the mandatory topics (obviously), then the constitution and the judiciary for government and electoral systems and parliamentary elections for politics (we sort of rushed voting behaviour). I'm so nervous for the exam!
I have focused on learning mandatory topics, constitution, judiciary and voting systems, voting behaviour.
All I know is that my teacher said referendums are unlikely to come up in our exam as they featured last year- although it's not guaranteed!
Other than that I have no idea what will come up- I'm just hoping the questions aren't too bad :smile:
Original post by coolcolourofpink
I have focused on learning mandatory topics, constitution, judiciary and voting systems, voting behaviour.
All I know is that my teacher said referendums are unlikely to come up in our exam as they featured last year- although it's not guaranteed!
Other than that I have no idea what will come up- I'm just hoping the questions aren't too bad :smile:

Yeah that's true, I've only ever seen one or two referendum questions as well :smile: I don't think anyone's learning the EU for government haha! I'm glad we've got half term before the exams as well, I think I'll probably revise by going through all the past exam questions and breaking them down. Good luck to you both!
Hello does anyone know last years 2015 OCR examination questions for these units?
Nah mate OCR haven't released it to public.Its quite annoying
Was last years paper really hard???
Last years questions for Unit 1 were:

Using the sources and your own knowledge, outline the ways pressure groups can use courts to pursue their objectives.

Using your sources and your own knowledge discuss the view hat pressure groups make the UK more democratic?

The Labour and Conservative Party are both internally undemocratic. Discuss.

To what extent is the government's record in office an important factor influencing how people vote?
Original post by Billy_Boi

Using the sources and your own knowledge, outline the ways pressure groups can use courts to pursue their objectives.

Using your sources and your own knowledge discuss the view hat pressure groups make the UK more democratic?

To what extent is the government's record in office an important factor influencing how people vote?

How would u answer the third question ?? (btw thanks for the questions)
Original post by I'mquitestupid
How would u answer the third question ?? (btw thanks for the questions)

In all honesty I'm glad that, that question was asked last year because the chances of it being asked again are quite slim. I hate internal democracy of parties but I would structure it as following.

Define what internally democratic means.
Internal democracy measures the extent to which rank and file members have genuine power within a political party.

State Conservative's are traditionally thought out to be 'top down.'

Labour more grass roots.

Go along a systematic approach critiquing and arguing for how the parties are democratic or not.

Main points: Leadership selection, policy formulation, and how parliamentary candidates are chosen.
In all honesty I'm glad that, that question was asked last year because the chances of it being asked again are quite slim. I hate internal democracy of parties but I would structure it as following.

Define what internally democratic means.
Internal democracy measures the extent to which rank and file members have genuine power within a political party.

State Conservative's are traditionally thought out to be 'top down.'

Labour more grass roots.

Go along a systematic approach critiquing and arguing for how the parties are democratic or not.

Main points: Leadership selection, policy formulation, and how parliamentary candidates are chosen.

Hmmn i see, looking at that question, I've never seen any type of question like that before in any past papers. Lets hope this years paper is nice xD!
Hmmn i see, looking at that question, I've never seen any type of question like that before in any past papers. Lets hope this years paper is nice xD!

Let's hope...
hi! I'm doing OCR too and my teacher made some predictions for F851:
- changes/similarities between Con and Lab (perhaps between New and Old Lab)
- successes and failures of pressure groups
- low voter turnout

We only really went through voting behaviour out of the optional topics so i don't know what he think will come up in the other two, but best of luck for you all!
Original post by chloe2105
hi! I'm doing OCR too and my teacher made some predictions for F851:
- changes/similarities between Con and Lab (perhaps between New and Old Lab)
- successes and failures of pressure groups
- low voter turnout

We only really went through voting behaviour out of the optional topics so i don't know what he think will come up in the other two, but best of luck for you all!

What do you mean by changes/similarities between Con and Lab. Sorry but I'm kinda confused
What do you mean by changes/similarities between Con and Lab. Sorry but I'm kinda confused

sorry i should've explained, so how their polices have changed both economically and socially over the years.

(EG: conservatives have become more socially liberal due to the gay marriage act)
Original post by chloe2105
sorry i should've explained, so how their polices have changed both economically and socially over the years.

(EG: conservatives have become more socially liberal due to the gay marriage act)

Oh i see, thanks a lot! xD

Thanks! Do you know what question can up for the electoral systems part of the course?
Original post by beckyfrance
Thanks! Do you know what question can up for the electoral systems part of the course?

Referendums in the UK have done more harm than good?

To what extent do the results of recent general elections support the view that further reform to the electoral system for the House Of Commons is needed?
Referendums in the UK have done more harm than good?

To what extent do the results of recent general elections support the view that further reform to the electoral system for the House Of Commons is needed?

Thank you!
How democratic are the main two parties- how would u structure a question like that
What are the sources of funding for parties?

Thank You
xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending