The Student Room Group

Law or Politics-A level

For law my examboard if choose would be ocr and for politics edexcel give pros and cons if you do both would be great if would give pros and cons and which you found easier to understand revise do better and achieve top grade compare to other and give reason the exam technique etc and yeah?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brianstudy01
For law my examboard if choose would be ocr and for politics edexcel give pros and cons if you do both would be great if would give pros and cons and which you found easier to understand revise do better and achieve top grade compare to other and give reason the exam technique etc and yeah?

Politics Edexcel has many resources online and you will easily be able to find Easter Revision courses and tutors to gain an A star grade. 😉
Reply 2
Original post by thegeek888
Politics Edexcel has many resources online and you will easily be able to find Easter Revision courses and tutors to gain an A star grade. 😉

Why have you done this a level and thoughts if you have and why should take it over Law???
Why have you done this a level and thoughts if you have and why should take it over Law???

Which other A-Levels are you considering?
Reply 4
Which other A-Levels are you considering?

Computer Science eduqas and edexcel business 💯 and then gonna pick 2 out of aqa econ edexcel politics and ocr law and start with 4 and drop as college makes you start with 4
Economics, Politics and Computer Science will be the best combination. But since you're not taking Maths, you'll limit your Economics and Computer Science degree choices. But should be fine for Law.
Reply 6
Economics, Politics and Computer Science will be the best combination. But since you're not taking Maths, you'll limit your Economics and Computer Science degree choices. But should be fine for Law.

I wanna get in tech or compliance
I wanna get in tech or compliance

Then I would suggest you take Maths, Economics and Politics. 🙂
Reply 8
Then I would suggest you take Maths, Economics and Politics. 🙂

Nah answer my question don’t add maths already said and not doing Both econ and politics both only 1
Nah answer my question don’t add maths already said and not doing Both econ and politics both only 1

For tech you would need a BSc in Computer Science and that requires A-Level Maths but you should be fine for compliance.
Reply 10
Hi I do AQA law (I know that's not OCR but yk) and have sat in Edexcel Politics lessons, I would say law is more interesting if you want to cover a broader range of topics, however it has a lot of memorising, whereas politics if you have a general understanding of politics it enhances it more and enhances the historical context of UK politics. So in general it's about what you would find more interesting, if your interested in both politics will be easier, however how parliament works will be taught in law. If you want me to give anymore information let me know!
Reply 11
Original post by Vir3
Hi I do AQA law (I know that's not OCR but yk) and have sat in Edexcel Politics lessons, I would say law is more interesting if you want to cover a broader range of topics, however it has a lot of memorising, whereas politics if you have a general understanding of politics it enhances it more and enhances the historical context of UK politics. So in general it's about what you would find more interesting, if your interested in both politics will be easier, however how parliament works will be taught in law. If you want me to give anymore information let me know!

Which did you find easy based on understanding learning revising doing well in exams and ez to get high grade compare the other and has better grade boundaries
Reply 12
Which did you find easy based on understanding learning revising doing well in exams and ez to get high grade compare the other and has better grade boundaries

I don't do politics just sit in lessons, however if I did do it the teacher reckons I would get an A, where's my law teacher is debating wether I'll be able to get an A or if I'll get a B. I would say politics is easier to understand however it's harder to include everything to get enough marks, law requires a less amount of marks to achieve an A compared to the amount of marks that you could possibly get. For AQA law it's 193/300 to get an A whereas it is 159/252 for an A in politics. So if your more of a perfectionist in your writing and understanding politics may be better. I would also say politics is easier to revise. However if you prefer scenarios, and having to pick apart a question to find the answer then law is better, because it's almost all scenario questions, which is like a short story where you have to apply the right laws.
Reply 13
Original post by Vir3
I don't do politics just sit in lessons, however if I did do it the teacher reckons I would get an A, where's my law teacher is debating wether I'll be able to get an A or if I'll get a B. I would say politics is easier to understand however it's harder to include everything to get enough marks, law requires a less amount of marks to achieve an A compared to the amount of marks that you could possibly get. For AQA law it's 193/300 to get an A whereas it is 159/252 for an A in politics. So if your more of a perfectionist in your writing and understanding politics may be better. I would also say politics is easier to revise. However if you prefer scenarios, and having to pick apart a question to find the answer then law is better, because it's almost all scenario questions, which is like a short story where you have to apply the right laws.

My college does ocr for law and edexcel for politics
Reply 14
Original post by Vir3

Is the aqa law same as ocr for grade boundaries and is the politics grade boundary you mentioned is that for edexcel???
Reply 15
Is the aqa law same as ocr for grade boundaries and is the politics grade boundary you mentioned is that for edexcel???

159/240 for OCR law or 159/252 for Edexcel Politics, so their incredibly similar grade boundaries.
Reply 16
Original post by Vir3
159/240 for OCR law or 159/252 for Edexcel Politics, so their incredibly similar grade boundaries.

So which do you think is easier based on your opinion if wanna get a top grade and btw what a levels do you do love and what’s your examboard and thoughts on them that’ll be useful ???
Reply 17
So which do you think is easier based on your opinion if wanna get a top grade and btw what a levels do you do love and what’s your examboard and thoughts on them that’ll be useful ???

I do AQA law, AQA sociology and WEJEC criminology, although I looked at doing psychology and politics. I would say politics might be easier however it might be worth looking at past papers for each subject to see which question style you will find easier, and which subject you think you'll remember information for better.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Vir3
I do AQA law, AQA sociology and WEJEC criminology, although I looked at doing psychology and politics. I would say politics might be easier however it might be worth looking at past papers for each subject to see which question style you will find easier, and which subject you think you'll remember information for better.

Btw how’s sociology and do you do criminology not as an a level and how is both???
Reply 19
Btw how’s sociology and do you do criminology not as an a level and how is both???

Criminology is an applied diploma, so it's equivalent to an a level. Criminology is pretty much crime and deviance of sociology with a little more focus on actual crimes, so definitely don't do both. Sociology is great and I find it super easy, however I did do it at GCSE but I've not learnt anything new really so it's kinda the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending