The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA A Unit 2 Human Geography 8th June 2016 OFFICIAL THREAD

Does anybody have any predictions for this paper?
How are you finding revision?

I am doing the following sections:
Population Change
The Development Gap
Tourism

For Tourism, I have predicted the mass tourism case study but I want to see anybody else's predictions.

I'm still revising everything but in the last hour/minutes before the exam, I would focus on these topics.

Also - for after the exam - how did everyone find the exam?! Easy? Hard? Time management not so good? Feel free to leave a comment.

Just for reassurance - for the physical geography exam - on average you only need 49/75 marks on average (based on A* grade boundaries for the past 5 years) to get an A*. This means you can lose 26 MARKS and still get an A*! So even if you missed out all the 8 markers or missed a whole question out, you can still get an A*. So don't stress. If this thread is going to stress you out, don't read it!!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

yes ld love some predictions for this too! how did yiu find the physical exam?
Reply 2
Has anyone got any predictions for :

Changing Urban Environments
Population Change
Tourism

Thanks
Hey,
I'm also doing
Population change
Tourism
The development gap.

The physical exam didn't go to well but I'm hoping this will go better and my course work will help counteract my little mess up in the physical paper 😂How was it for you?
I think mass tourism is a good prediction but I'm not sure about the other topics.
Reply 4
Urban environments - air pollution, water pollution, waste management - that section (possibly 8 marks, likely 6)
Globalisation - something on local industrial regions with global connections (like Motorsport Valley etc.)
Tourism - mass tourism strategies? or maybe why people are attracted to areas in the tropics?
Original post by Jazzy_j_
Hey,
I'm also doing
Population change
Tourism
The development gap.

The physical exam didn't go to well but I'm hoping this will go better and my course work will help counteract my little mess up in the physical paper 😂How was it for you?
I think mass tourism is a good prediction but I'm not sure about the other topics.

what are you aiming for? A*,A, B OR C
If I got B on my Controlled Assessment and i think i got an A* in my physics paper,
do I have to get an A* on my human paper?
Reply 6
my geography teacher made a 'hot list' of likely topics for both papers, and he was pretty spot on with the physical so I feel pretty happy focusing mainly on what he's put (of course still revising everything in the 3 topics). But he thinks the most likely things will be:

Population: factors affecting population growth; social/economic/political issues with population change; non-birth control policies; migration

development: comparing/contrasting measures of development; classifying parts of the world; political/environmental influences of global inequalities; world trade and imbalances within it; development project case study; EU attempts at reducing development differences

Tourism: contribution of tourism to UK economy; impacts of external factors on visitor numbers to the UK; National Park case study; mass tourism case study; extreme tourism attractions/impacts.

Obviously it's a pretty wide range of topics but That's basically what I'd focus on.
Original post by SaraAli123
what are you aiming for? A*,A, B OR C
If I got B on my Controlled Assessment and i think i got an A* in my physics paper,
do I have to get an A* on my human paper?

I was aiming for an A* but unless human goes amazingly well I will take an A. I got 59/60 on my controlled assessment and I think might have got about a B on physical.
If you got an A* in both papers and a B in your controlled assessment I guess you would get an A/A* depending on your exact marks.
Reply 8
Original post by dsotm
my geography teacher made a 'hot list' of likely topics for both papers, and he was pretty spot on with the physical so I feel pretty happy focusing mainly on what he's put (of course still revising everything in the 3 topics). But he thinks the most likely things will be:

Population: factors affecting population growth; social/economic/political issues with population change; non-birth control policies; migration

development: comparing/contrasting measures of development; classifying parts of the world; political/environmental influences of global inequalities; world trade and imbalances within it; development project case study; EU attempts at reducing development differences

Tourism: contribution of tourism to UK economy; impacts of external factors on visitor numbers to the UK; National Park case study; mass tourism case study; extreme tourism attractions/impacts.

Obviously it's a pretty wide range of topics but That's basically what I'd focus on.

Thank you very much! This is helpful. Although I would place great emphasis on environmental influences of global inequalities as they have never been asked about before and the National Park case study is highly unlikely to come in because there was both the 4 marker and 8 marker on it last year already. I highly doubt that it would come in as a result.

I made my own predictions as well - I just wanted verification from someone else and these, more or less, are the same as mine so I would say these predictions are pretty much accurate.
Original post by dsotm

what do you mean by global inegualities?
Original post by glittery123
Thank you very much! This is helpful. Although I would place great emphasis on environmental influences of global inequalities as they have never been asked about before and the National Park case study is highly unlikely to come in because there was both the 4 marker and 8 marker on it last year already. I highly doubt that it would come in as a result.

I made my own predictions as well - I just wanted verification from someone else and these, more or less, are the same as mine so I would say these predictions are pretty much accurate.

what are your predictions?
Original post by Dmfdmf123
what are your predictions?

They're the same.
Guys, my humanities teacher has been predicting correct topics for last 2 years, she also predicted all the topics for the 2016 Geography AQA UNIT 1 (Physical) exam. The sections we learn for the exams are;
Population Change, Changing Urban environments and Tourism.

Okay so here are the predicted topics for tomorrow:

Population
DTM model with population pyramid
Transmigration
Coping with ageing population and encouraging more births
Migration push and pull factors and impacts on host and origin countries
Economic migrants within the EU
Refugee movements and impacts

Changing Urban Environments
Causes of urbanisation
Issues and solutions in CBD, inner city, suburbs and rural-urban fringe
Squatter settlement redevelopment
Effects and management of rapid urbanisation - disposal of waste, air pollution and water pollution
Sustainable urban living

Tourism
Tourist resort life cycle model
External factors effect on UK tourism
Mass tourism positive and negative effects and management
Extreme environments impacts and growth
Benefits of ecotourism and link to sustainable development.

ONLY YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR REVISION, NO ONE IS TO BLAME IF THESE TOPICS DO NOT COME UP.
They're the same.

'more or less the same' just wondering if u had anymore.
Does anybody have any predictions for this paper?
How are you finding revision?

I am doing the following sections:
Population Change
The Development Gap
Tourism

For Tourism, I have predicted the mass tourism case study but I want to see anybody else's predictions.

I'm still revising everything but in the last hour/minutes before the exam, I would focus on these topics.

Also - for after the exam - how did everyone find the exam?! Easy? Hard? Time management not so good? Feel free to leave a comment.

Just for reassurance - for the physical geography exam - on average you only need 49/75 marks on average (based on A* grade boundaries for the past 5 years) to get an A*. This means you can lose 26 MARKS and still get an A*! So even if you missed out all the 8 markers or missed a whole question out, you can still get an A*. So don't stress. If this thread is going to stress you out, don't read it!!

Yes I predicted the mass tourism case study aswell (mine is Kenya) and I am doing Development Gap/Tourism/Changing Urban Environments
If I got a C on coursework and 2 A's in the exams what would that sum to overall??
Original post by willsp8
If I got a C on coursework and 2 A's in the exams what would that sum to overall??

A or B depends on exact marks plus g bounds
Original post by willsp8

Depends on how high the C is, and also how high your A's are. If they were low A's and a high C, you'll probably get a B. Not 100% sure though.

For me, I had got 53/60 which is a high A, so I would need two high B's for a low A, or two high C's for a low B.
People doing population change, have you all done a case study on transmigration because our teacher hasn't taught us about it?? KINDA FREAKING OUT NOW...
Original post by worksmartnothard
People doing population change, have you all done a case study on transmigration because our teacher hasn't taught us about it?? KINDA FREAKING OUT NOW...

I haven't! my teacher hasn't told us much about it either. I have just looked up the meaning and why it is a good idea. don't worry im sure there wont be a case study on it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending