The Student Room Group

Laptop or desktop at uni?

I have a gaming PC I use at home, and I'm about to go off to study maths at Exeter in September, so I'm wondering if I should take it or just get a new laptop? I have the option of either spending my money on upgrading my current set-up so it's extremely high spec, or just having a laptop at uni. I'm a big gamer so it's important to me but obviously uni comes first. I'm sure many other maths undergraduate computer geeks have been in this predicament!

If the computer facilities at Exeter are good enough, I guess just using a desktop and USB for study would suffice. What has your experience been? Do most students carry laptops for study and is it worth it?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Most people will have laptops.

I guess you could manage with a desktop but would recommend using Dropbox rather than a USB.

:wink:
Original post by NoHetero
I have a gaming PC I use at home, and I'm about to go off to study maths at Exeter in September, so I'm wondering if I should take it or just get a new laptop? I have the option of either spending my money on upgrading my current set-up so it's extremely high spec, or just having a laptop at uni. I'm a big gamer so it's important to me but obviously uni comes first. I'm sure many other maths undergraduate computer geeks have been in this predicament!

If the computer facilities at Exeter are good enough, I guess just using a desktop and USB for study would suffice. What has your experience been? Do most students carry laptops for study and is it worth it?

Thanks.

I have a desktop and a small cheap laptop that I just use for viewing powerpoints, word docs etc and sending emails while at uni. I could fairly easily get by without a laptop and just use the computer clusters dotted around my uni but I prefer to work in a common room that doesnt have computers so thats the only reason I really take my laptop into uni. Most students I know dont normally bring in their laptops unless they are typing up a lab report etc but I assume as youre doing maths you wont have much/any of this type of work.

If was you I would take your desktop to uni and see how you got on for a month or so then decide whether to upgrade your system or get a laptop. I assume you will be upgrading for your own personal reasons (ie gaming) as there is no software you will really use that requires much cpu/gpu power
If you have the money to either a) upgrade the existing desktop or b) buy a laptop, why not take the existing desktop for gaming in your room and buy a laptop for Uni work, win win.
Get a laptop with thunderbolt 3 and an external GPU enclosure, best of both worlds. Or just get a normal high spec laptop, they can game pretty well nowadays.
you can get a basic laptop really cheap, I would recommend having a laptop as well if you are keen to keep your desktop as it will give you a lot more freedom in terms of where to work etc and in my experience (although not at your uni) computers tend to be hard to come by at busy periods
Reply 6
It's practically impossible in a lot of uni libraries to get a computer at busy times, so I'd take a laptop, even if it's in addition to your desktop. It's just a million times more convenient to be able to take it to seminars and lectures to take notes/'bring' handouts without printing out every single page/use for group work etc etc.
I'd take the desktop to use in your room and get a laptop to use for taking notes in lectures/seminars and working in the library.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm starting maths at Exeter this year too :smile:

I'm just going to bring a laptop :P
a laptop is hands down the most useful thing you can own as a student lets say you are doing a group project if your going to use a PC (and you will) you're going to the computer room where you might not be able to get a PC because no matter how many they have at busy times you won't get a PC and what about if your working in a library discussion room no pc's in there or the study lounge (difference is you can get tea there.
or you are finishing a project in the final hand in week (you won't get a PC. Seriously a laptop and printer can make the difference between 1st and a 3rd.
I would get a cheap laptop, then spend some left over money on upgrading your desktop setup. I would then take both to Uni.
Original post by NoHetero

Thanks.

You should probably take your course as a top priority if you want a successful start in life.

Just get a cheap laptop that can get work done if you need it and worry about gaming after you finish your course,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending