The Student Room Group

VOTE: Edexcel A2 Biology 6BI04 difficulty?

Poll

Difficultly of Edexcel 6BI04 biology (SNAB) exam

Please vote above to the difficulty of the Edexcel A2 biology unit 4 old specification paper.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ABeingOnEarth
Please vote above to the difficulty of the Edexcel A2 biology unit 4 old specification paper.

Well this is the most skewed poll I've ever seen.
Original post by ombtom
Well this is the most skewed poll I've ever seen.

lol ikr
it was like 3% unit 4 and 97% ****in AS and that 3% unit four was super obscure stuff that is 3 lines in the textbook swear to god
Grade boundaries for edexcel biology unit 4.. Low or high? What is predictions for an A out of the avaloable 90?
Question 9

The graph above shows how difficult students found the unit 4 biology exam.

With reference to enzyme activity describe what is shown by the graph.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------d[3 marks]
(edited 7 years ago)
Found it very tough , idk why they had an entire section on peat bogs da***
Reply 7
I'm really hoping that the grade boundaries for this paper are low, because otherwise I'm sure I haven't done very well. I wasn't expecting all the AS questions to come sneaking in like that! I had no idea what to put for the male pollen question??? or for the last 6 mark question?? All I could think of was splicing!
Reply 8
Was disappointing predicted A* no chance after all the AS questions. Revised for unit 4 not AS.
Reply 9
I talked about RNA splicing, you should be able to get the full marks if you have talked about it in detail. For example, talking about the removal of the introns using splicosomes and splicosomes would also remove some exons which causes a range of proteins to be made.
Original post by Catalyst1
I talked about RNA splicing, you should be able to get the full marks if you have talked about it in detail. For example, talking about the removal of the introns using splicosomes and splicosomes would also remove some exons which causes a range of proteins to be made.

I think for the full marks a reference to translation would have to be made due to the fact that post transcription modification only really forms different lengths of mRNA. I said about translation and the differing combinations of exons would lead to varying positions of start and stop codons which would affect primary and therefore secondary and tertiary structure folding.
What did people put for my peat bogs preserve pollen grains? I think it was a 4 marker.

I talked about how the conditions were cool, anaerobic and acidic which affects the enzyme activity of decomposers. It being cool reduced enzyme activity as there will be less frequent successful collisions between particles. I did not know what to write for the others
Reply 12
:sad:
Reply 13
I wrote about the enzyme activity in the question before that on RUBISCO with respect to temperature? why so much on enzymes, this plus peat as well
I think there was also 2 whole questions dedicated on peat log / pollen
Reply 15
If anyone wants to see a rough mark scheme, search EDEXCEL JAN14 IAL paper ... It's almost identical to our exam today!
Has anyone actually seen the structure of a b plasma cell as part of their spec? I'm pretty sure I definitely haven't!
Original post by Jack Whittle
Has anyone actually seen the structure of a b plasma cell as part of their spec? I'm pretty sure I definitely haven't!

I think they wanted us to apply our knowledge of AS cell structure to that question. It was a pretty pathetic question seeing as the picture was blurry...

I was lucky in that just before the exam I read that "plasma cells have extensive rough endoplasmic reticulum as to manufacture vast quantities of antibodies". And as the question asked how structure Q related to the function of a plasma cell, I kind of put two and two together. Pretty lucky!

But yeah, it was a crap question nonetheless and I hope it translates to lower grade boundaries.
Honestly shocking to look at the IAL Jan 2014 paper. Feels like Edexcel just copied and pasted as many questions are they could from that, don't think they can get more lazy. So similiar.
Reply 19
Original post by Lozzie97
Honestly shocking to look at the IAL Jan 2014 paper. Feels like Edexcel just copied and pasted as many questions are they could from that, don't think they can get more lazy. So similiar.

Is that even legal with what they done? Sign the petition for it on change.org!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending