The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Returning to University after Leave of Absence

Hey! Just looking for some advice in regards to returning after taking a LOA. I'm studying Photography and have yet to complete my final year after being forced to take a LOA in October 2015 due to severe mental health issues.

I'm currently taking anti-depressants and am undertaking therapy in order to get myself in a better place and feel as though I have made some slight improvements. However I am also aware that I often depend upon drugs and alcohol in order to get through my day to day life and therefore am questioning my planned return to University in October 2016.

It is for this reason that I am questioning my return to University - I really really really want to complete my course as I have had issues in the past which have meant moving University twice, withdrawing and taking LOAs here and there.

My hardship has only made me want to graduate even more and it is my ultimate goal at this point in my life. I am probably focusing upon it as a personal aim to make myself proud and to prove to myself and others that I can achieve what I set out to achieve, rather than thinking that by graduating I will instantly have a great career within Photography - as I know this is not the case.

If I were to return to Uni I have to pay my tuition fees etc. myself so I don't really have any leeway in terms of taking another LOA if I decide it is too soon. What sort of support would be available to me? Would I be able to have any extra help? Etc.

My other option is to leave home and move back to the city I study in to get a job for a year which will allow me to focus upon something, make money and I can be near the uni, my friends etc. This is looking like the most suitable option at the moment as, if I'm completely honest, I don't think I'm quite ready to complete such a stressful year. But then again, I still have a bit of time to get to a better place.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by hallceyda5
Hey! Just looking for some advice in regards to returning after taking a LOA. I'm studying Photography and have yet to complete my final year after being forced to take a LOA in October 2015 due to severe mental health issues.

I'm currently taking anti-depressants and am undertaking therapy in order to get myself in a better place and feel as though I have made some slight improvements. However I am also aware that I often depend upon drugs and alcohol in order to get through my day to day life and therefore am questioning my planned return to University in October 2016.

It is for this reason that I am questioning my return to University - I really really really want to complete my course as I have had issues in the past which have meant moving University twice, withdrawing and taking LOAs here and there.

My hardship has only made me want to graduate even more and it is my ultimate goal at this point in my life. I am probably focusing upon it as a personal aim to make myself proud and to prove to myself and others that I can achieve what I set out to achieve, rather than thinking that by graduating I will instantly have a great career within Photography - as I know this is not the case.

If I were to return to Uni I have to pay my tuition fees etc. myself so I don't really have any leeway in terms of taking another LOA if I decide it is too soon. What sort of support would be available to me? Would I be able to have any extra help? Etc.

My other option is to leave home and move back to the city I study in to get a job for a year which will allow me to focus upon something, make money and I can be near the uni, my friends etc. This is looking like the most suitable option at the moment as, if I'm completely honest, I don't think I'm quite ready to complete such a stressful year. But then again, I still have a bit of time to get to a better place.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Why is it you would have to be paying yourself?

I've taken LOA twice and i'll be honest it's not gone well for me either time but i think that's cos I have issues with academia in general (special needs) and other health issues that weren't dealt with.

One option would be to take a longer LOA or to see if you can take what you have done so far as credits and finish at that or another uni later after you have sorted your MH issues. I suggest you talk to student support about all your options before making a decision.

If/ when you do go back make sure you take full advantage of student support and DSA. Apply for DSA before you go back so it is ready for you when you start and have a meeting with student support to make sure you have covered all your bases. Also, tell your lecturers and they will hopefully be a bit more supportive and give you some extra help if you need it. NEVER be afraid or embarassed to ask for support.

Be honest about these concerns in therapy too. You could change the focus to prepare you for uni more.

Just remember to put your health first. You can always go back to uni even if you're 80 so it's much better to be mentally well and less educated/ qualified than have a degree but be unstable mentally. Putting off your studies now doesn't mean giving up on your goal- just delaying it a little :smile:

Latest