The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by MamzZass
I just dont get how nationalism and pride can cause people to screw themselves over! Baffling really.

The vote was won with the vote of Labour supporters in the North.

It's difficult to say "EU = jobs" to people that work on 0 hour contracts and see jobs being given to Poles. Boston is a city with one of the highest percentages of Poles, and they voted 75% Leave.

This vote is the result of the betrayal of the working class by the Labour in the name of their insane immigration policy.
Original post by the bear
We must strive to achieve our Manifest Destiny as a Proud Chosen Nation

Yes I get it a European superstate would of been perfect it's not like anyone else in recentish history have tried to get Europe ruled by Germany.
Original post by Chakede
i think in the good old days it would have jsut been the 5% or so of socities little closet racists that would have voted to leave. but in last decade or so, peoples anxieties about schools, health , wages, jobs and security ( ie the worldwide standard political concerns) have been hijacked by a very skilful set of politicians in UKipers adept in creating hystera and anger and turning it into pointless protest votes.
you have to look at the comparatively low turnout of young voters who had most to lose by coming out of EU - quite dumb. now UK is effectivley a laughing stock amoung the rest of the world who still cant fathom why we actually voted to leave the eu

The pound value will go back up. It takes ****ing time. Have some ****ing patience everyone. BrexitIsTheWayPeople.

[video="youtube;vTCIwo3cEvU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTCIwo3cEvU[/video]
Trade talks are already beginning

http://pulse.com.gh/business/after-brexit-ghana-britain-trade-talks-begin-immediately-hannah-tetteh-id5188747.html

I expect American talks to start soon and for the other small EU trade partners to follow Ghana (and the vast majority are at least as small)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Naveed-7
The pound value will go back up. It takes ****ing time. Have some ****ing patience everyone. BrexitIsTheWayPeople.

its not about the value fo the pound, frankly dont really give a **** about that, currency fluctuates all the time. its about the damage to investor confidence, foregin companies relocating, jobs, and our financial standing in the world etc which are and will be affected over the next few years. the rest of the world are clueless as to why we voted for this and there is a reason for that. this is what your average brexit protest voter in their self obsessed enclave has no understanding of.
Original post by FrenziedCoot
When you look at the voter demographics, the majority of 18-24 year olds voted to remain. It's mainly the older generation who have been more susceptible to the immigration scare tactics of the leave campaign that have voted to exit.
It's a shame for our generation.
Reply 206
Well, this is a depressing read.

And what may I ask, will happen to the UK should you know, the whole of the world decide NOT to be mental and refuse to trade with us? Oh yes, we will carry on as before! But with less migration (good and bad) and more control of ourselves.

The whole premise of this fear-mongering is that the world refuses to play ball with us and throws us to the dogs. This will not happen, we will take our time (it is our right to trigger article 50 when we want, not when Brussels wants), we will draw out trade deals with EU countries and non-EU ones, if we are fortunate we will somehow manage to get into the free trade arrangement (unlikely though), and we will supplement any trade losses with non-EU countries who would love the opportunity to trade with us. We are currently paying £175m a WEEK for the right to be in the free trade arrangement, and free movement, this is not "free" then is it. Worse case scenario we don't get in it, and the government then has to work to offset the new taxes to business' who are exporting or importing with the EU with their new found WEEKLY £175m.

The markets today represent the shock of Brexit, EU is down more than UK is some places, US is down, they will all recover, as will we. This was inevitable, however could have been mitigated had anyone actually considered the possibility that we weren't just making a fuss and actually were not happy. The fact all of these countries are coming out saying how shocked they are, goes to show they never took our concerns seriously, as they didn't when they gave us pitiful renegotiations.

If you read the BBC news, who have been very pro-IN this campaign, you will see that anti-EU movements in the Netherlands, Italy and France are gathering tremendous momentum, and calling for EU referendums of their own, this whole "bully the UK for leaving, by not trading with them" will go belly up very quickly once other nations follow our suit and see that the EU is not needed in its current form. These are the kind of movements which will gain even more momentum should we be treated unfairly for leaving. The EU already made a grave error threatening us into staying, should they then go further and carry out these threats as a show of resolution to others considering exit, I believe it would have just as much effect there as it did here.

Please can we avoid this hysteria, it does nothing but harm us.
Original post by Josb
The vote was won with the vote of Labour supporters in the North.

It's difficult to say "EU = jobs" to people that work on 0 hour contracts and see jobs being given to Poles. Boston is a city with one of the highest percentages of Poles, and they voted 75% Leave.

This vote is the result of the betrayal of the working class by the Labour in the name of their insane immigration policy.

Yes. Labour have a huge responsibility for what we all woke up to today...
I genuinely believe that 'EU' will collapse.
UK leaving is the seminal tip of the iceberg.
Merkel's bullish nature will alienate its remaining members even more.
With this disintegration of the EU inevitably happening, it would be good to see how projections and prospects of economic well-being change - UK may very well be ahead and better equipped in relation to other nations, if / when this does occur, with Hollande's comments further perpetuating the idea of a disintegration or more nations leaving with his comments.
You are right. The UK is dead now. Scotland will leave. They were fairly close last time and the only thing that kept them was the safety of the UK. Now thats blown up and England threatens to drag it out of the EU, they will leave. Northern Ireland might try and join them too.

The pound has crash and we have lost a ridiculous amount of money for nothing. Rumours of various businesses pulling out and moving to Europe.

And you know what? I don't blame them. It is the logical thing to do now.
Reply 210
Original post by Yellow 03
Yes. Labour have a huge responsibility

If they don't update their software, UKIP will steal many constituencies in the North from them. They already lost Scotland...

Original post by Yellow 03
we all woke up to today...

You didn't stay awake all night long? :biggrin:
Original post by elitepower
You are right. The UK is dead now. Scotland will leave. They were fairly close last time and the only thing that kept them was the safety of the UK. Now thats blown up and England threatens to drag it out of the EU, they will leave. Northern Ireland might try and join them too.

The pound has crash and we have lost a ridiculous amount of money for nothing. Rumours of various businesses pulling out and moving to Europe.

And you know what? I don't blame them. It is the logical thing to do now.

The last one can't really be called close, and the next one is unlikelyto be for independence

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Algren
we will supplement any trade losses with non-EU countries who would love the opportunity to trade with us

This is one of the things that most concerns me. One of the good things about trading with EU nations is that it allows us to be less reliant on trade with countries like China, Saudi Arabia etc.. which have many human rights issues. Increased trade with countries like these only helps to prop up and support these governments.
Original post by Jammy Duel
The last one can't really be called close, and the next one is unlikelyto be for independence

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't just dismiss the opinions of 16 million people because 17 million people said something. The 16 million deserve to be represented somehow.

And it depends. The Leave campaign have already revealed some of their biggest appeals were fake and people have regrets.
Original post by Josb
If they don't update their software, UKIP will steal many constituencies in the North from them. They already lost Scotland...

I know, it's quite embarrassing, they behave like sitting ducks!

Original post by Josb
You didn't stay awake all night long? :biggrin:

No, I fell asleep in the end...:colondollar: I had to go to work in the morning.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 215
Original post by The Epicurean
This is one of the things that most concerns me. One of the good things about trading with EU nations is that it allows us to be less reliant on trade with countries like China, Saudi Arabia etc.. which have many human rights issues. Increased trade with countries like these only helps to prop up and support these governments.

When people say how poor the EU is, IN voters come back with "only from within the institution can we change it".

The same people then say, we can't deal with ethically dubious countries because we will prop them up.

Well, we tried changing the EU from the inside, our doubts fell on deaf ears. Maybe we would have more luck with others. Maybe not, but they're unlikely to take any less notice of us than Brussels
Original post by Bella909
Can't believe we have decided to listen to the likes of Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson and millions of uninformed voters who have no clue about the impact this will have on millions of others, who were voting under the premise we will gain back our 'British Sovereignty.' Truth is it has now been replaced with the uncertainty of political and financial instability.

Not to mention that "British Sovereignty" may now be in the hands of Boris Johnson and the like. How on earth is this a more attractive option than absolutely any of the EU bureaucrats?

PS. Maybe we can import Bernie Sanders to run the country? We clearly need a hand here and he needs to stop messing with the US elections...
Reply 217

Scotland will not leave. They would have to create a new currency in an extremely volatile environment and cannot enter the EU like that (they'll have to wait for several years). Moreover, Scotland doesn't trade much with the EU, its biggest trade partners are England and the USA. Within the UK, Scotland would benefit from the free trade deal with the USA that will be concluded in the near future (as Tafta won't pass now that the UK - its biggest supporter - has left the EU).

Same for NI. The Remain vote margin is not significant enough to trigger a new leaving.

The pound has crash and we have lost a ridiculous amount of money for nothing. Rumours of various businesses pulling out and moving to Europe. .

Europe is not an attractive solution at the moment and businesses won't move now that the markets are so uncertain. They will wait for the situation to stabilise before deciding what to do. They also want to know the next government and its plans.
Original post by Josb
Scotland will not leave. They would have to create a new currency in an extremely volatile environment and cannot enter the EU like that (they'll have to wait for several years). Moreover, Scotland doesn't trade much with the EU, its biggest trade partners are England and the USA. Within the UK, Scotland would benefit from the free trade deal with the USA that will be concluded in the near future (as Tafta won't pass now that the UK - its biggest supporter - has left the EU).

Same for NI. The Remain vote margin is not significant enough to trigger a new leaving.

I'm at a loss as to why Scotland would wish to leave now to join the EU. The UK economy as I said was one of the strongest in Europe, what will they do when Brussels demands Scotland coughs up for a bailout for the Spanish or Italians.
Reply 219
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
I'm at a loss as to why Scotland would wish to leave now to join the EU. The UK economy as I said was one of the strongest in Europe, what will they do when Brussels demands Scotland coughs up for a bailout for the Spanish or Italians.

I was answering an user who said that Scotland wants to leave.

Latest

Trending

Trending