The Student Room Group

Thoughts on Abortion?

I'm not against abortion, it should be used when necessary or appropriate, but it should never be used as birth control and having limits on abortion makes sense as it would be cruel to abort a baby that can feel stimuli such as pain and although the timeframe from when a woman can get an abortion isn't very long and most find out weeks later that they are pregnant. The general rule of thumb should be as long as you know you have had unprotected sex or used protection to prevent a pregnancy but know that the protection isn't 100% fool proof I would advise to take a pregnancy test.

I'm not pro-life or pro-choice but both sides are flawed and both have questionable arguments, if you would like me to explain this later on in the thread, let me know. I would like to be neutral and in the middle, because I feel like sides can be hostile, sometimes.
Reply 1
My views have softened over the years, there is nothing worse than bringing an unwanted child into the world. I think limits are set about right in the UK. In theory, I agree not an alternative for contraception, but other than force people to have unwanted children all you can do is allow them on demand.
Completely agree with Apachecow here. Abortion is a mercy in most instances where it's even thought about. Imagine bringing a child up in a household where the parents didn't even fully accept the child, or where they ran into hard times and couldn't support the child's upbringing properly :frown:

I don't really agree with the issue being that the baby can't feel pain though. Depending on when it's aborted, the baby might not even have the nervous system to feel this pain, and even if it does, I'm pretty sure it's an unbelievably basic system. I'd probably liken it a bit to someone hurting you whilst you're knocked out by anaesthetic. You just have no clue anything's being done.
(edited 10 months ago)
Women should not be stopped from having an abortion. It’s their body.
Reply 4
Original post by Apachecow
My views have softened over the years, there is nothing worse than bringing an unwanted child into the world. I think limits are set about right in the UK. In theory, I agree not an alternative for contraception, but other than force people to have unwanted children all you can do is allow them on demand.

I agree as unwanted children will only cause more strain on the child welfare system and highlight the failures of social services when children are placed into foster care etc. I do wonder about the fairness of UK laws surrounding this though - a mother of three can be put in jail for 14 months for aborting a baby at 7 months gestation (information sourced from https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/12/woman-in-uk-jailed-for-28-months-over-taking-abortion-pills-after-legal-time-limit) but an average sentence for violent crimes in the UK is only 4.5 months longer than that.
Reply 5
Original post by Thomas_Mac
Women should not be stopped from having an abortion. It’s their ******* body.

I hope you realise that I'm a woman and I never said that abortion should be illegal, I agree with abortions in most instances and women should be allowed to do what they want with their bodies. I even said in my original post that it should be used when appropriate and necessary.

Rat-tat-rat on your dumb, dumb drum.
Reply 6
Original post by Thomas_Mac
Women should not be stopped from having an abortion. It’s their ******* body.

Imagine my shock and horror when I see a man miscontrue my words, where did I say a woman should be stopped from having an abortion? Get some glasses dude, you just sound ignorant and patronising, especially since I am a woman. I never said abortion should become illegal and I never will.
Original post by Anonymous
Imagine my shock and horror when I see a man miscontrue my words, where did I say a woman should be stopped from having an abortion? Get some glasses dude, you just sound ignorant and patronising, especially since I am a woman. I never said abortion should become illegal and I never will.

The thread is thoughts on abortion and that’s exactly what I gave.

I never accused you of any of those things. Get some glasses your self. I literally just gave my opinion on the thread.

Plus in your initial post you never mentioned gender. It’s pretty ignorant of you to assume my gender. You don’t know what I identify as.
(edited 10 months ago)
I am against abortion. The excuse from some people is that a woman can do what she wants with her body. The real issue is precisely that. It's not her body exclusively once a woman is pregnant. She also carries the body of a growing baby after conception. To destroy a baby at any age, up to 9 months, is to destroy another human being. None of us would be here unless our Mothers took that responsibility (hopefully with support of Dad). I'm glad I wasn't thrown into the abortion dustbin and forgotten. If rearing an unwanted child is too traumatic, then allow the baby to be adopted. Even if the Parents never see the child again, at least the child has had a right to live and not die at such a young age.
My thoughts on abortion seem to be a bit controversial. But, Abortion should only be allowed for medical emergencies, or rape cases. Most women that scream “My body, my choice”, really just want to have intercourse without any consequences or responsibilities, so they fight to use abortion as birth control.
I was always anti abortion until I fell unexpectedly pregnant at the age of 19. I was in my first year of university and I was so so so shocked and I knew when I saw the test what I was going to do. I was using contraception at the time as well. I was living in halls with girls and the guy I was with we had only been seeing each other a few months. I had no money and no support from him so I knew the decision was right for me. I wanted to live my life and travel and finish my university degree and 2 weeks later I went through with the abortion and it was the right decision for me. I do not regret it. It was hard and painful but it was right for me! I think you never know what you would do unless you were put in that position yourself!❤️
I'm not against abortion, it should be used when necessary or appropriate, but it should never be used as birth control and having limits on abortion makes sense as it would be cruel to abort a baby that can feel stimuli such as pain and although the timeframe from when a woman can get an abortion isn't very long and most find out weeks later that they are pregnant. The general rule of thumb should be as long as you know you have had unprotected sex or used protection to prevent a pregnancy but know that the protection isn't 100% fool proof I would advise to take a pregnancy test.

I'm not pro-life or pro-choice but both sides are flawed and both have questionable arguments, if you would like me to explain this later on in the thread, let me know. I would like to be neutral and in the middle, because I feel like sides can be hostile, sometimes.

I was a failed abortion
Original post by username5452824
The thread is thoughts on abortion and that’s exactly what I gave.

I never accused you of any of those things. Get some glasses your self. I literally just gave my opinion on the thread.

Plus in your initial post you never mentioned gender. It’s pretty ignorant of you to assume my gender. You don’t know what I identify as.

Before this user deleted his account, I looked at their profile and it said they were male, which means OP didn't assume your gender, they just looked at your profile also your username included the name "Thomas". Stop accusing people of ignorance when you are ignorant yourself. The fact that you never said you are a woman is pretty telling that you are a man.
My thoughts on abortion seem to be a bit controversial. But, Abortion should only be allowed for medical emergencies, or rape cases. Most women that scream “My body, my choice”, really just want to have intercourse without any consequences or responsibilities, so they fight to use abortion as birth control.

Agree completely.

Having intercourse without any consequences is the reason why women get pregnant in the first place.

I definitely agree that women should definitely be allowed to have an abortion in cases of rape, incest, being underage, failed contraception or other medical emergencies.

Quick Reply

Latest