The Student Room Group

Nigel Farage on a second referendum

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lerjj
don't really care what the crest oof the country does. London is culterually and economically distinct from the rest of England though. We should leave.

Build a wall!

It's only right. We need to make London a separate country
Original post by Manchester_123
What we need to do now is gain independence for London, Scotland, NI, Cambridge, Oxford and every remain region. We need true democracy

That would not be good at all. If they asked for independence they would note cope. The less referendums for independence, the less likely people will be suffering as a result of it.
Original post by Davij038
No, I do not agree with a second referendum. I am merely pointing out that many Leavers think that Remainers should just shut up and accept the result and not be sore losers would adopt very different attitudes had the results been reversed.

@dragonzrmetal

@welshiee

And you know this, how?
Original post by MrMackyTv
That would not be good at all. If they asked for independence they would note cope. The less referendums for independence, the less likely people will be suffering as a result of it.

If you believe in democracy we need at least 100 referendums since at least 100 areas voted remain
Reply 24
Original post by Aceadria
And you know this, how?

Be
Reply 25
And you know this, how?

because for a lot of these people, they genuinley believed it was a Marxist, dictatorship dedicated to destroying Britain. If I thought that I wouldn't accept the referendum either.
Farage only said 52-48 vote would be “unfinished business”. That means that there might be another once-in-a-generation referendum in the future (not next week or next month). Farage was talking about a referendum some time after the first result had been honoured. He was not talking about ignoring/overruling the result... Remember that the last EU referendum was in 1975.

But Cameron said emphatically several times there would be “no second referendum", meaning that there would be no immediate "follow-up" or "corrective" referendum.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MrMackyTv

Isn't this exactly what people said about independence from the EU?

Project Fear!!!
Original post by FredChurchill
Farage only said 52-48 vote would be “unfinished business”. That means that there might be another once-in-a-generation referendum in the future (not next week or next month). Farage was talking about a referendum some time after the first result had been honoured. He was not talking about ignoring/overruling the result... Remember that the last EU referendum was in 1975.

But Cameron said emphatically several times there would be “no second referendum", meaning that there would be no immediate "follow-up" or "corrective" referendum.

So we'd have 2 twice-in-a-generation referendums?
Original post by JordanL_
So we'd have 2 twice-in-a-generation referendums?

Of course NOT. We have to honour the results of the referendum (ever heard of Honour, and Code of Conduct?).

If we don't honour the results, if we turn on a dime, and try crawling up the EU Kommissars' smug, dictatorial heinies, we will forever be looked upon with contempt. We will be the world's clowns, pushovers, never again taken seriously.
Original post by JordanL_
Isn't this exactly what people said about independence from the EU?

Project Fear!!!

Hahaha how ironic. You're funny :smile:
because for a lot of these people, they genuinley believed it was a Marxist, dictatorship dedicated to destroying Britain. If I thought that I wouldn't accept the referendum either.

You haven't answered my point. How can you be so certain that had the result been to stay, those in favour of leaving would have been such 'spoilt sports'?
Reply 32
You haven't answered my point. How can you be so certain that had the result been to stay, those in favour of leaving would have been such 'spoilt sports'?

Obviously a whole bunch of people voted to leave, and u do not wish to generalise. However, anecdotal and empirical evidence suggests that leave voters are more prone to paranoia and conspiracy

1: Have you seen some of the posts put up on here and on media message boards from people advocating Leave?

2:,a good chunk of them thought the vote was rigged anyway and are paranoid enough to bring pens with them.

3: Nigel Farage, their spiritual liege had decreed that they should not accept a Remsin vote - if you think the likes of Bill Cash and John Redwood would have quietly accepted the result I would worry about your judgement. These people are ideologically opposed to the EU.
Obviously a whole bunch of people voted to leave, and u do not wish to generalise. However, anecdotal and empirical evidence suggests that leave voters are more prone to paranoia and conspiracy

Please don't call this empirical evidence. You have no evidence to suggest this is fact. Anecdotal, perhaps, but even then TSR and the internet is by no means a true reflection of reality.

1: Have you seen some of the posts put up on here and on media message boards from people advocating Leave?

And you are basing your conclusion on the 'Leave' campaign as a whole based on the posts of a few? Surely, that is irrational behaviour.

2:,a good chunk of them thought the vote was rigged anyway and are paranoid enough to bring pens with them.

And? Bringing a pen is simply a sign of making sure you are exercising your right correctly.

3: Nigel Farage, their spiritual liege had decreed that they should not accept a Remsin vote - if you think the likes of Bill Cash and John Redwood would have quietly accepted the result I would worry about your judgement. These people are ideologically opposed to the EU.
This is my issue with many on the 'Remain' side. You're correct that Farage has been a leading figure of the push for the UK's exit from the EU. But he is by no means the principle or only figure in the movement. Far more respected members of society have backed it: Rees-Mogg, Dyson, and Hannan to name a few and yet people feel that all of the Leave campaign fit into one category. Such a conclusion is ignorant and is part of the problem of why so many voted against the establishment view.

I would rather argue that when we see the regional breakdown of the results, we see people from all classes and walks of life voting in favour of 'Leave'. The fact of the matter is that the scare tactics that were used by both Westminster and the 'Remain' campaign pushed the voters away from remaining within the EU. This should have been an easy win but once again, people panicked and used desperate measures to sway the vote.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending