The Student Room Group

Southern V Northern British Foods? (nommmm!)

I'm not British originally but I've heard/read that foods are different up North and down South (more salads, cultural foods and things like afternoon tea in the south and more pies, pastries etc. up North).

Is this true? Could someone please give examples as I'm curious haha :colone:

How about fish and chips are they all over the UK I'm guessing?

Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’m from the north but I don’t really go down south so I can’t really say about that.
But yes there are a lot of pastries but also curry seems to be a big thing here. You tend to find loads of fish and chip shops at the coast, not sure about in the south though.
Original post by MissBeckyx
I'm not British originally but I've heard/read that foods are different up North and down South (more salads, cultural foods and things like afternoon tea in the south and more pies, pastries etc. up North).

Is this true? Could someone please give examples as I'm curious haha :colone:

How about fish and chips are they all over the UK I'm guessing?

Thanks! :smile:

This is a bit of an outdated cliché to be honest - probably more relevant in the 70s than nowadays. People oop't'north even have Olive Oil now, you know!!

Being serious, that idea of northerners eating steak and kidney puddings, offal such as tripe and onions, mushy peas, parkin and essentially living off chippy teas is long dead. It's probably more likely that curry would be the staple food of certain parts of south and west Yokshire and Lancashire!

The south is historically a wealthier part of the country, and it's probably fair to say that the UK diet become more varied here first - but we're talking a long time ago now. There was a report on the BBC only this week about how traditional British dishes have fallen out of favour, so this North-South distinction in eating habits is probably even less relevant.
The only real difference I have noticed is the North's addiction to gravy (texture like sun :flute:).
Northern foods.

Peas pudding. Basically an unspiced ham based daal made from split peas.
Lard on toast
Pies
Deep fried mars bar.

Southern foods.

Cornish pasty
Cream teas
Fried chicken
Baguette sandwiches
Don't Northerners just live on pie and gravy?
Reply 6
Original post by MidgetFever
Don't Northerners just live on pie and gravy?

You forget black pudding and ferrets in our trousers. Pie and gravy... only on Sundays!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Ambitious1999
Northern foods.

Peas pudding. Basically an unspiced ham based daal made from split peas.
Lard on toast
Pies
Deep fried mars bar.

Southern foods.

Cornish pasty
Cream teas
Fried chicken
Baguette sandwiches

Thanks. :smile: Oh, I've had that pease pudding before!

Is fried chicken from London haha? I always thought in the South the food was healthier, not sure why :colondollar:
Reply 8
Original post by MissBeckyx
Thanks. :smile: Oh, I've had that pease pudding before!

Is fried chicken from London haha? I always thought in the South the food was healthier, not sure why :colondollar:

More processed... more American. Northerners are used to a more scavenge based diet. Know what goes into mock turtle soup? Not turtles. Which diet is healthier? Only time will tell.
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm northern, but I have southern friends. We literally eat the same stuff to be honest! My fave is vegetable curry though, if wanna know. :smile:
Northern food culture embraces lots of local and tradition dishes.
Like pepper cake, parkin, eccles cakes, steamed sponge puddings, chips with curry sauce, malkin pie, scollop butty, scotch egg, black pudding, hindle wakes and tripe & onions.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by londonmyst
Northern food culture embraces local and tradition dishes.
Like pepper cake, parkin, eccles cakes, steamed sponge puddings, chips with curry sauce, malkin pie, scallop butty, scotch egg, black pudding, hindle wakes and tripe & onions.

Sounds ghastly - apart from the steamed sponge puddings :h:
I find most English food to be either bland or stodgy, unless it has a foreign influence.
Original post by harrysbar
Sounds ghastly - apart from the steamed sponge puddings :h:

Beware saying that in the hearing range of proud northerners. :biggrin:
My father is a very loud and proud manc.
His scouser crowd are even louder and very enthusiastic about sharing their vast array of culinary delights. :tongue:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by NotNotBatman
I find most English food to be either bland or stodgy, unless it has a foreign influence.

Sounds like you have just been eating **** food.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Sounds like you have just been eating **** food.

Probably.
Probably.

A full roast lamb dinner should be flavour sensation, the issue is a lot of people are just **** at seasoning.
A full roast lamb dinner should be flavour sensation, the issue is a lot of people are just **** at seasoning.

Roast lamb is deliciousness when my mum does it. Didn't know it was considered British tho.

Whenever I've eaten roast dinners at friends houses its just meat and potatoes, that's such a boring dinner.
Roast lamb is deliciousness when my mum does it. Didn't know it was considered British tho.

Whenever I've eaten roast dinners at friends houses its just meat and potatoes, that's such a boring dinner.

The Sunday roast is a classic British dish.

That is just bad cooking.
The Sunday roast is a classic British dish.

That is just bad cooking.

Yeah, not really a fan of a Sunday roast. I mean I like all that comes with it, but not together as a meal, I'd rather eat it with other things.

Quick Reply

Latest