The Student Room Group

Conservative Leadership Contest 2016 Official Thread

The Conservative Party leadership Contest 2016 Official Thread

The Conservative Party Needs a New Leader and Britain needs a new prime minster .

This Thread is the official thread for updates and discussion of who could replace Mr Cameron as Leader and Prime Minster

Could it be Boris or May , Crabb or Fox ?

The Next Prime Minster Will be a Women

Theresa May Vs Andrea Leadsom

Who will take the Keys of Downing Street ?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Although the bookies favour Boris, I wonder if there won't actually be quite a lot of hostility directed against him because of the hypocritical way he leapt on the Leave bandwagon, even though he's a Remainer, just to do down Dave.

The Tories never like the guy who actually did the backstabbing, even if they also couldn't stand the guy who got stabbed.
Seems like Stephen Crabb (my MP) has reportedly declared that he will run for the position.

Whilst his background might be quite favourable for the party (especially given the opportune moment for the party to take whatever advantage they can of the Labour turmoil), i honestly don't think he will stand a chance given his stance on the EU was very much remain.

Also to note as an update, Osbourne has ruled himself out.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Although the bookies favour Boris, I wonder if there won't actually be quite a lot of hostility directed against him because of the hypocritical way he leapt on the Leave bandwagon, even though he's a Remainer, just to do down Dave.

The Tories never like the guy who actually did the backstabbing, even if they also couldn't stand the guy who got stabbed.

Depends , Looks Likely It will be between May and Boris

Stephen Crabb Confirms he is standing
Osborne say he wont stand
Boris Johnson for Prime Minister!
Original post by _Morsey_
Seems like Stephen Crabb (my MP) has reportedly declared that he will run for the position.

Whilst his background might be quite favourable for the party (especially given the opportune moment for the party to take whatever advantage they can of the Labour turmoil), i honestly don't think he will stand a chance given his stance on the EU was very much remain.

Also to note as an update, Osbourne has ruled himself out.

He won't win for sure , Yes his background is favourable with Javid as Chancellor he won't win , I Think May will just win
Reply 6
Original post by Fullofsurprises

'He who wields the knife never wears the crown.'

I would like Fox to be leader.
Original post by similarBlank
Boris Johnson for Prime Minister!

Boris for King !!!

OP Updated
Javid to Back Crabb
Original post by hazzer1998
He won't win for sure , Yes his background is favourable with Javid as Chancellor he won't win , I Think May will just win

I agree with the prediction on May.

She wasn't hugely involved in the remain campaign and was fairly distanced from it. Don't think people will want Boris as PM so i could imagine May at the helm with Boris maybe given a cabinet position given his leave stance.
Original post by _Morsey_
I agree with the prediction on May.

She wasn't hugely involved in the remain campaign and was fairly distanced from it. Don't think people will want Boris as PM so i could imagine May at the helm with Boris maybe given a cabinet position given his leave stance.

I'm personally backing May or Fox for leader ( With May my 1st Preference ) She could steal UKIP Votes and could united the party because she wasn't involved to much and she is fairly eurosceptic despite backing remain ....
Boris deserves it.

I mean that in the coldest way possible.

Give will be backing Boris.
Crabb starts Leadership Bid

I too reckon that May is gonna clinch this. I think she played the EU referendum quite well by not being too vocal on either side and it would certainly feel more reassured with her in power as opposed to Johnson.
Dr Liam Fox Confirms he is standing
Noway to that Crabb and no way to Morgan. Liam Fox for sure, he has the brains and authority.
We can't have people leading Brexit who are not for Brexit.

Gove, Grayling, Davis et al and maybe May need to be the Brexit cabinet. Even if you are a remain Tory, you have to concede that instability and trying to backslide or reject the verdict will wreck the Tories, it won't work managing Brexit either. We simply need a unified Brexit cabinet smoothing the transition and providing solid Tory rule. Unless you remain Tories want to commit electoral suicide. Fox is the man for the job.
Original post by hazzer1998
Crabb starts Leadership Bid

The Tories don't see that a remain leader and cabinet will be electoral suicide for them. Labour will lose tons of votes if their mess continues, and then UKIP will gain loads. Farage could be PM! This guy is suicide.
Fox or May for me at the moment...
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
The Tories don't see that a remain leader and cabinet will be electoral suicide for them. Labour will lose tons of votes if their mess continues, and then UKIP will gain loads. Farage could be PM! This guy is suicide.

*Deputy PM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending