The Student Room Group

The idea that brexiters are racist is ridiculous

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boreism
No one, but just thought everyone was just generalising by whats happening in the streets Post-Brexit. Its not just Europeans who are under attack here.
Most Brexiters are against immigration are they not?

There's no doubt that there's a very small but perhaps rather vocal minority of individuals who supported Brexit. These are the kind of people who don't want any migration/immigration.

I'm positive the majority of Brexiters that are against immigration are against it as it was uncontrolled (EU, not non-EU). The princple of a country being able to control its borders is quite important. I believe the UK should be able to set skill requirements for all EU & non-EU individuals - immigration does benefit the UK economy but surely we can make it benefit the UK even more so with a points based system.
I don't think this is a one way street either; France, Germany, Poland, Greece etc should all be able to set skill limits too in my opinion. As far as I'm aware, even the USA & Canada don't have freedom of movement to the same extent the EU does.

This very much comes down to sovereignty - The UK Parliament should be able to over-rule EU legislation should it choose to including freedom of movement, VAT rules etc.
Nobody's saying that everyone who votes leave is racist, there's just a staggering number of racist incidents that have occurred after the UK voted to leave the EU based on a campaigned that used xenophobic fear tactics to gain votes.
I think that some people need to calm down. Not all those who voted Leave, voted with racist intentions. There were many voters, who voted for various reasons

I know a girl, who voted to remain just because she did not want the UK to be considered a xenophobic country. When pushed on her views on the subject matter, she said that she did not care which ever that the vote went, but her concern was the portrayal of the UK.

When I read the posts on TSR about Brexit, I thought about this friend. If she had voted Leave for similar reasons in the reverse without strong views on either side, she would have been criticized for her vote.

The point of this example is that there were people who voted remain or leave, who did not really knowing what the consequences were. Some voted on pure selfish grounds. Like the guy who voted remain because of his Spanish girlfriend and the young house builder who voted leave because he believed that Europeans were stealing his job opportunities.

To the discourse about 18-25 year olds feeling cheated by the older generation, they should have gone to vote. I am not saying that 18-25 year olds did not go to vote. Some did, but if they went out in full numbers. Maybe we could have gotten the remain vote that we hoped for. Just like my housemate, who could not be bother to vote, but rather chose to play Xbox instead and then complained about how he got cheated. We need to stop this stupid way of engagement. We cannot choose not to do anything and complain of the outcome.

I think that we need to respect the vote and work together to reduce the fallout from this vote.There is no need to start pitching groups against each other, whether it is old vs young or rich vs poor.

Finally, I think that the vote should be respected and shows how millions of people feel. Some people have genuine worries about their family, children, and welfare plus future prospects. It is unfair to simply conclude that those who voted Leave did so because they are racist or hate migrants.
(edited 7 years ago)
There are a ridiculous amount of stereotypes attached to Brexit. We're living in 2016 for goodness sake stop creating new stereotypes. I thought we were living in a modern world...
To be fair I am a racist, xenophobe, elitist, sexist, islamophobe and every other ism & ist you can think of but there needs to be someone who is directly offended by something I have typed on this forum along with proof that I have made a statement which is one of the hate crimes above.

As I understand it TSR doesn't tolerate any of the above but they don't just ban people for declaring their internal thoughts.

There needs to be a victim as I understand it. And its going to be extremely hard that you would be offended for me admitting to be a barer of a infinite amount of prejudices.
Reply 45
Compare this study on racism in the UK and compare it to the breakdown of Leave voters:

http://diversityuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/selfreported-racial-prejudice-datafinal.pdf

Correlation doesn't imply causation, but there's some pretty strong correlation in these. Statistically speaking the average Leave vote is highly likely to be more racist than the average Remain voter based on this.

Not that this says the Leave campaign or idea is itself racist.
Original post by TheTechN1304
And most racists are white? What's your point.

I'm a White Straight Cis Male. As I understand it my very presence is offensive to some people.
If racism didn't exist then remain would have won. That's the way I look at it.

I believe a large amount of people who voted leave are either racist or very prejudiced at least. The only reason I've seen people say they voted for leave was immigration, or "these foreigners coming over and taking our jobs".
Original post by illegaltobepoor
I'm a White Straight Cis Male. As I understand it my very presence is offensive to some people.

How is your presence offensive to some people?
Reply 49
Original post by illegaltobepoor

[video="youtube;D-3Y3NDCT-Y"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-3Y3NDCT-Y[/video]
Original post by Desi123

But yeah, lots of racism going round on Twitter etc. right now. Seems to be the dumbest Leavers tbf, our equivalent of the Remainers who whinge about older people having the vote

Agreed.

Media wants to link Brexit and the racism together but it's just a few backward idiots who probably did vote for Leave, but not all of us racially motivated reasons to vote Leave. I voted for control, not for deportation, not for a ban on immigration, I'd be in favour of allowing some of the immigrants from Europe to stay, because A LOT do contribute to certain industries. These racists are foolish to want all of them out, if you take all of them out, you ruin the NHS, you ruin construction industry, and you will ruin many others too. They fill a lot of the gaps that Brits don't want. Having said that, Honeypot Lane in Stanmore, always full of Europeans and a few Indians waiting for work, we don't need an overflow either.
Original post by The Roast
Most 18-24 year olds didn't bother voting :giggle:

Independent reporting 35% turned up lol
Original post by Manchester_123
Independent reporting 35% turned up lol

Pathetic.
the majority of black and brown commonwealth citizens living in the UK voted leave unsurprisingly as it is likely that this will make it easier for them to travel between countries and bring their families etc.
Original post by AndrewSCO
If racism didn't exist then remain would have won. That's the way I look at it.

I believe a large amount of people who voted leave are either racist or very prejudiced at least. The only reason I've seen people say they voted for leave was immigration, or "these foreigners coming over and taking our jobs".

And I believe a large amount of people who voted remain and are anti-democracy. Believe what you like, doesn't make it true. My parents are both the children of immigrants and I voted leave. For a lot of people this was about more than immigration (and even if it was, wanting to control immigration is not racist).
Reply 56
Original post by Kryptonian
It is true many racists voted leave. Of course this is evident as it they who are saying WE HAVE LEFT THE EU and telling people to go back to their countries. Hate crime has risen so much following Brexit. Yes certainly not all those that voted Brexit are racist it is lunacy to suggest that is the case. I'm talking specifically about the racists. There is a large proportion of people who are certainly not racist whatsoever and voted Leave. What I'm saying is the racists thought vote leave so we can get rid of the immigrants and send them back home as they are ignorant individuals.

It is Disgusting behaviour. Rather than deny this amd argue we need to condemn such disgusting behaviour and it must not be tolerated. We mist tackle this problem.

I'm sorry but you simply cannot say for certain that because there are people who are saying we left the Eu go back to your country it follows that they voted leave.

They could be people who didn't vote or remainers who are veryupset that they lost -which,let's face it,they all seem to be-and whenever they see a foreigner it reminds them of why they lost.

There's no logical reason why a leave voter would tell foreigners to leave because we are HAPPY.

Happy people don't go round abusing people,unhappy ones do.

:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by moggis
I'm sorry but you simply cannot say for certain that because there are people who are saying we left the Eu go back to your country it follows that they voted leave.

They could be people who didn't vote or remainers who are veryupset that they lost -which,let's face it,they all seem to be-and whenever they see a foreigner it reminds them of why they lost.

There's no logical reason why a leave voter would tell foreigners to leave because we are HAPPY.

Happy people don't go round abusing people,unhappy ones do.

:smile:

No you're mistaken. :wink:
Original post by ellie0497
Well MOST racists are brexiters.

There are a few things I need to emphasize so I shall address them here.

1) Boris is clueless. We must not make the mistake of conflating our fondness for him with whether he has the ability to be the PM. He has never worked a day in the real world. His only 1 ½ achievements are Boris Bikes and taking the credit for the London Olympics when it should have been accorded to Ken Livingstone and Ken Livingstone alone.

2) The problem in UK when it comes to politics is that people vote according to party affiliations. If your great grandpa was Labour, so too would your grandpa, your dad and yourself. In the past, politicians did real work for the people. After Thatcher was ousted, several politicians were in it for themselves. As long as they can claim fraudulent expenses, buy multiple homes, send their children to tops UK and US unis, then only are they contented. The welfare of the people is the least of their concern.

This is the 21st century. So put aside party affiliations and look at the essence of the various pledges. Only the can you arrive at a rationale decision, free from bias. I will illustrate this using a very simple exercise.

Team A's Pledge

allow migrants/immigrants/asylum seekers/refugees to enter UK with ease

no border controls, no border checks,

people with criminal convictions, HIV/AIDS, links to terrorists, fraudulent education certs or fake trade skills can enter

pay money to Germany and France to be a member of the single market and then get some money back in the form of rebates

be told by Germany and France on what and what not to do

UK Supreme Court is no longer supreme and UK parliament is no longer sovereign

vile people can simply come into UK, form grooming gangs to sexually molest, rape & even murder innocent girls and then disappear

doctors with fake medical certs can perform operations that results in patient deaths and then disappear

unskilled workers, migrants etc from all over the world can take a plane to London Heathrow, get council homes, receive monetary benefits and start large families without doing any proper work to the cost of the ever-obliging & obedient British taxpayer

people can fly to London, receive medical treatment or go into labour and then return back to their home countries without footing the bill

terrorists can walk into UK, go to enclaves, promote ill-will and hatred against other races and religions, orchestrate attacks and then disappear without a trace

Team B's Pledge

confer real powers on Immigration officers stationed at all points of entry into UK, to conduct checks on people wanting to enter UK.

With the exit and entry points secured, the new PM must sanction a joint task force operation between the (much publicized failed & powerless) Border Agency and Police forces, go into every borough and check for illegal immigrants (overstayers without valid visas), people with invalid/fake papers and without work permits, those who're wanted by the police or have jumped bail and round them up to be dealt with accordingly.

Provide extra funding to the General Medical Council (GMC) and empower them to conduct checks on foreign doctors and identify those with dubious qualifications and report them to the Police

Construct a processing centre to be located overseas which will evaluate and process all asylum claims etc. People need to know that they can't just turn up at the door and be expected to be let in.

Implement an Australian styled points system where people from all over the world with the necessary skills & qualifications, no criminal records, no terrorists links, no HIV/AIDS will be invited to apply for a work permit. But this is only to be done after job openings have been filled up by British citizens first and if there are vacant places, these will then be filled up by foreigners who would have passed the stringent background checks.

So let me ask you. Which Team's pledge appeals to you? Team A or Team B? Therein lies your answer.

Boris is a colourful character who doesn't stand for anything except for 'Boris Bikes'. No world leader will take him seriously if he was the PM of UK. He doesn't have a mind of his own. His close aide is Gove and the only good/nice thing about Gove is his voice. Gove will go down as the worst Education minister in the history of UK. Boris doesn't have any sense of originality since he always parrots what Nigel Farage says e.g. Australian points based system etc.

If you have diligently watched the telecasts of the hustings period during the campaign, Boris spoke loads of gibberish (which is normal of him) and the only time he said anything comprehensible was when he said that UK must adopt a migration policy akin to the Australian point based system etc. These were never his points or that of the official designate Leave campaign. All he did was to use what Farage said without citing him as the source.

Brexit was achieved because of the Leave Campaign. Boris, Gove and the rest of their clique knows this. But they are far too thick-skinned to even accept it for what it is. They have taken credit for the achievement and textbook writers will be paying homage to them in future editions of law and political textbooks.

On Brexit, you and several others like you were wrong about the outcome. Live with it. The people have spoken. Respect it. You may have been agonizing over it as a result of the decision. Get over it.

UK is not a charity for the rest of the world to drop in, use its resources for free while the ever-obliging British taxpayer has to obediently foot the bill. The duty of any democratic government is to its people, first and foremost.

With Brexit, the days are numbered where any Tom, Dick and Harry can enter UK

without being checked if they are holding genuine passports

without being checked if they have links to terrorist groups

without being checked if they have criminal records in their home countries

without being checked if they have HIV/AIDS

Someone recently asked me why should people wanting to enter into another country, be checked for HIV/AIDS? This is because the government owes a duty to its citizens to protect them from people who may want to infect others with their communicable diseases. This is an extension of a 'social contract theory'. Read up on it if you have time. Educate yourself.
Original post by James.Carnell
I am a minority. It is a hugely cynical misrepresentation of the voters. Bremainers should look at themselves with their class biases and the racists in their own ranks.

Theyre as much stupid as racist. Heres my sob story.. so today i was just packing my bags un tesco when some lads walked past me saying "weve got control back, you need to leave Britain is independent"

Heres what i wanted to say to them :
1. Firstly Boris who literally led Brexit said for those already here theres no getting sent back
2. Im a british national and so are my parents so brexit doesnt actually affect my presence
3. Im actually indian so its nothing to do with the EU. Retards.
4. Itd be more beneficial for people like you to leave England than myself since youre just causing trouble.

P.s. i said none of the above and just ignored them as i was too astonished as to how i was treated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending