The Student Room Group

How to get a job abroad in a gap year?

I’m in year 13 and want to take a gap year to go travelling. I want to earn some money and think having a job and living abroad would be fun. I’m studying Spanish so I thought it would be good to get a job in a restaurant or maybe a holiday resort in Spain but since Brexit it seems really hard to obtain a working visa. Do you have any ideas on what I should do?
Hey,

Sounds like a really good idea! I took a year out between Sixth form and University and found it super rewarding not only getting a break from the academic pressures but also learning more about new places and meeting new friends abroad! I've also just spent a year studying in Germany so understand the stress and complications trying to sort out the correct visas for what you're doing. Whilst I can't give advice on the working visa side of your question the side of travelling I can try and help with since I travelled to a lot of Europe last year! I actually made a blog with the Travel Aware Campaign with 15 things I learnt in 15 months travelling to 15 countries, covering anything from insurance to making friends and how to make the most of your trips!

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/subjects/geography-environment/undergraduate/study-exchange/abi-brown-stark/?utm_medium=sba&utm_source=studentroom&utm_campaign=fcdotraveladvice&utm_content=sba5

I hope that might give some insights into travelling and if you have any other questions or recommendations let me know and I'd be happy to try and help!

Abi Brown-Stark
Travel Aware Student Brand Ambassador
@travelaware
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Yeah after Brexit working in the EU is really difficult but not impossible and some companies still hire Brits. You could also continue studying Spanish but apply to work in a different location.

There are lots of gap year type jobs worldwide, these links might help, see if anything takes your fancy:
Jobs in Spain
Gap year jobs

Quick Reply

Latest