The Student Room Group

Diagnosed with Depression; College

I've just been diagnosed with depression and I have been put on an SSRI (antidepressant). Would it be best to tell my college? I have a physical disability as well, which they know about and I have arrangements for in exams, etc.

thanks in advance
Original post by celloel
I've just been diagnosed with depression and I have been put on an SSRI (antidepressant). Would it be best to tell my college? I have a physical disability as well, which they know about and I have arrangements for in exams, etc.

thanks in advance

It's up to you. It won't help you anymore in exams though
Original post by celloel

thanks in advance

If you believe that it puts you at an disadvantage, I think it would be wise to notify them so you will not have an unfair disadvantage during your exams. (hope some of that made sense) Stay strong:biggrin:
Original post by A-LJLB
It's up to you. It won't help you anymore in exams though

Not necessarily true. Depression often has a side effect of exhaustion. If this affects you, you could get extra time for rest breaks (you can't write in this time). I have extra time for a learning disability, and extra time for rest breaks due to depression.
Also, it might be a good idea to tell someone like your tutor; I'm sure they'll be able to tell you about any accommodations that could be put in place.
Also, if you need to use it as extenuating circumstances, it's easier if people were aware before the exam/coursework deadline/etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Marshall Taylor
x

Original post by Ashleyclaire
x

Thank you to both of you! I wasn't looking for exam arrangements - I already have them due to my physical condition and don't need any more due to the depression. I was just wondering whether it'd be best to let my college know I'm on more medication, as they know about the ones I take for the physical illness.

Thank you again for your advice :smile:
Original post by Ashleyclaire
Not necessarily true. Depression often has a side effect of exhaustion. If this affects you, you could get extra time for rest breaks (you can't write in this time). I have extra time for a learning disability, and extra time for rest breaks due to depression.
Also, it might be a good idea to tell someone like your tutor; I'm sure they'll be able to tell you about any accommodations that could be put in place.
Also, if you need to use it as extenuating circumstances, it's easier if people were aware before the exam/coursework deadline/etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have depression/am recovering. I got nothing. This is just from personal experience

Quick Reply

Latest