The Student Room Group

Inverse of exponential functions

I havent really ever been taught how to find the inverse of an exponential function but have been asked to find the inverse of f(x)= 1-2^x

Can anyone help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So if you have y=f(x) y=f(x) so here y=12x y=1-2^x then the inverse is a reflection in the line y=x, so all you do is swap the x and y variables around so the inverse has equation x=12y x=1-2^y . Normally though they want the equation in the form y=g(x) y=g(x) so just rearrange to get the equation in x.
Original post by langnerd
I havent really ever been taught how to find the inverse of an exponential function but have been asked to find the inverse of f(x)= 1-2^x

Can anyone help?

Swap the x's and y's for inverse, rearrange for y. Why do this? Well as B_9710 said, y=x is a line of reflection and inverses are reflections along that line. These must be one-to-one functions though, so you can't do it for something like x2x^2 unless you restrict the domain.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3

Can anyone help?

Log base 2 comes to mind:biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by B_9710
So if you have y=f(x) y=f(x) so here y=12x y=1-2^x then the inverse is a reflection in the line y=x, so all you do is swap the x and y variables around so the inverse has equation x=12y x=1-2^y . Normally though they want the equation in the form y=g(x) y=g(x) so just rearrange to get the equation in x.

Thank you all for your help. How exactly can I isolate y and make it the subject as the answers I have come up with so far are not a reflection in the line y=x?
Reply 5
Thank you all for your help. How exactly can I isolate y and make it the subject as the answers I have come up with so far are not a reflection in the line y=x?

Just rearrange x=12y x=1-2^y to make y the subject.

Get y on one side then use a logarithm with an appropriate base.
Reply 7
Original post by RDKGames
Get y on one side then use a logarithm with an appropriate base.

I got y=log2(1-x) which isn't a reflection?
Reply 8

It is in the line y=x.

Yes it is.

Seems like a pretty damn juicy reflection to me...

asd.PNG
Reply 11

Can anyone help?

This is how I did it:

y=12xy=1-2^x

let x=y:

x=12yx=1-2^y

x1=2yx-1=-2^y

1x=2y1-x=2^y

Now you can take logs, natural logs or log2log_2:

ln(1x)=ln(2y)ln(1-x)=ln(2^y)

Now use the power rule of logarithms:

ln(1x)=yln(2)ln(1-x)=yln(2)

Rearrange for y:

ln(1x)ln(2)=y\frac{ln(1-x)}{ln(2)}=y

That's how i'd do it anyway and I believe that's correct (checked on wolfram alpha) if you took log base 2 you could have a different result:

y=log2(1x)y=log_2(1-x) as log2(2)=1log_2(2)=1
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by L33t
The methods thus far on here are wrong. In order to find an inverse function with an exponential you must end up with a log or ln somewhere! This is what allows reflection in y=x:

y=12xy=1-2^x

let x=y:

x=12yx=1-2^y

x1=2yx-1=-2^y

1x=2y1-x=2^y

Now you can take logs, natural logs or log2log_2:

ln(1x)=ln(2y)ln(1-x)=ln(2^y)

Now use the power rule of logarithms:

ln(1x)=yln(2)ln(1-x)=yln(2)

Rearrange for y:

ln(1x)ln(2)=y\frac{ln(1-x)}{ln(2)}=y

That's how i'd do it anyway and I believe that's correct (checked on wolfram alpha) if you took log base 2 you could have a different result.

That's what we all said, plus x=12y x=1-2^y is the same curve as y=log2(1x) y=\log_2 (1-x) anyway.
Original post by L33t

Try not to solve other people's question's for them. Just point them in the right direction.
Reply 14
Seems like a pretty damn juicy reflection to me...

asd.PNG

Ah thank you, Google isnt very good at drawing graphs it would seem!
Reply 15
Try not to solve other people's question's for them. Just point them in the right direction.

Calm down, I'm only trying to help, sorry I won't in future!
Ah thank you, Google isnt very good at drawing graphs it would seem!

Try www.desmos.com/calculator instead :smile:

Original post by L33t
Calm down, I'm only trying to help, sorry I won't in future!

No problem, just saying :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by L33t
Yes! But for it to be an inverse function you have to swap x and y AND rearrange for the new y or it isn't correct. No marks in the exam for that.

Yeah but that's only because it says you need to find f1 f^{-1} . If f(x)=12x f(x)=1-2^x then sure f1(x)=log2(1x) f^{-1}(x)=\log_2(1-x) .
Reply 18
Try www.desmos.com/calculator instead :smile:

No problem, just saying :smile:

I'm new to TSR so I don't know the etiquette yet you see, truly sorry.

While I very much appreciate your efforts and admire your enthusiasm, I would also say the same thing. Eg

Prove that it now works for n=k+1

r=1k+1r=r=1kr+(k+1)=12k(k+1)+(k+1)=(k+1)[k2+1]=12(k+1)(k+2)=k+12([k+1]+1)\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{k+1} r = \sum_{r=1}^{k} r + (k+1) = \frac{1}{2}k(k+1) + (k+1) = (k+1)[\frac{k}{2}+1] = \frac{1}{2}(k+1)(k+2)=\frac{k+1}{2}([k+1]+1)

QED.

Quick Reply

Latest