The Student Room Group

Why are pushy vegans so pushy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i can't ever give up my greggs steak bakes so leave me alone!
Idk maybe I've just been lucky in this sense but all of the vegans I've encountered haven't been pushy or in your face about it at all. I didn't even know one of my friends was vegan till like 3 weeks after
Original post by ColossalAtom
Find new friends.

But this situation reminds me of this video: [video="youtube;z0O_VYcsIk8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0O_VYcsIk8[/video]

Oh my gosh, I love this guy - isn't there a gluten free one as well? :lol:

Original post by !!mentor!!
Don't worry. It's all cool. I just put forward that post because the vegan friends the OP mentioned sounded like stereotypical vegan preachers, telling or insinuating that meat eaters are bad people.
When I come across ignorance, i'll usually respond with ignorance in an attempt to highlight said ignorance.

But you sound like a descent vegan / vegetarian who can engage in thoughtful debate without being judgmental. I can get down with that.

Merci - I was trying so hard not to sound sarcastic and I found myself sounding more and more sarcastic the more I wrote, haha. As long as the person realises that they're being hypocritical if they were to use that form of argument seriously, then I'm all for poking fun at the preachers. :wink:
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
All vegans I've come across are like that, it really is annoying.

Has it ever occurred to you that you've probably come across a lot more vegans, but a lot of them didn't feel the need to be dicks about it, so you were none the wiser?

Just like when I was at school, there was one guy who was a muslim and he shoved it in everyone's face. Since this was in Dubai, there were probably a lot of other folks who were muslim too, the issue never came up with them because they weren't dicks about it. I don't assume that he was the only muslim I ever met, he was a dick, therefore all muslims are dicks.

Lol ffs some people these days -_-

:damnmate:*
Reply 24
Original post by Amefish
Why are some vegans so pushy? It genuinely makes me not want to be friends with them because I can't stand to listen to another rant about how bad my food is.

Why? They're shocked and appalled at how we inflict huge amounts of unnecessary suffering on non-human animals. Some may be additionally concerned about the massive greenhouse gas emissions from the meat industry: governments have proven inept at dealing with climate change, and we're going to see temperature rises significantly beyond the dangerous 2C limit.

When you know what goes on in the meat industry, even right now, and you can't do anything about it, some people become pushy, because they want to be able to do something about it.

At the same time, they're not realizing that they're doing harm to their cause if they talk about it in a disrespectful, belligerent manner. They're probably not really aware that people have been socially conditioned to eat animal products, and people aren't exactly going to have open minds when they're eating the very animal products that the vegans are condemning: ranting and talking in a belligerent manner simply puts people on the defensive.

Due to the horrific nature of the meat industry, these people may not be open to compromise; they should be. They should recognize that there are conscious meat-eaters who want to see factory farming disappear, and this can happen if everyone were to substantially reduce, but not necessarily eliminate, their consumption of animal products. Thus, instead of making veganism an all-or-nothing thing, they could talk about reducing meat consumption instead. Many people seem to be much more receptive to this. Some meat-eaters may also be interested in 'offsetting' their meat consumption by donating to the most cost-effective charities that spare farm animals from suffering in factory farms (per dollar donated, an expected 13-14 animals could be spared, so even small donations do a lot of good), either through vegan/vegetarian advocacy or through reforms to the meat industry.

My personal experience is that all of the vegans I know aren't pushy, and are interested in finding the most effective ways to reduce the suffering of animals at the end of the day; they're not interested in pursuing unproductive face-to-face confrontations for the sake of it. At the end of the day, all vegans should constantly remind themselves that it is reducing the suffering of sentient beings which matters, not necessarily satisfying one's desire to have an argument. Vegans should show people that they can be happy and healthy on a vegan diet; misanthropy and belligerency do good for no one.
(edited 7 years ago)
The title of this question is a tautology. Pushy vegans are pushy by definition, that is why they are pushy.
Reply 26
Tell her she needs mental help and basically shoo her off. If you don't want to talk to her next year:wink:
Tell her she needs some meat. And the her meatless diet is making her appear to be a cave woman:colone:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 27
I feel some (by no means all) vegans are pushy because of the constant barrage they are under, both of rude derogatory comments, as demonstrated in this thread, as as constant questions of "why are you vegan", "do you not want a lovely burger *shoves burger under face*", "do you not think plants have feelings to", "why do you choose to do something so unnatural", "did your parents not love you as a child"... Sometimes it can just go on and on.

Such treatment can put people in a rather defensive position, and this can then come out in the wrong way.
Reply 28
Original post by Platopus
The title of this question is a tautology. Pushy vegans are pushy by definition, that is why they are pushy.

Well, not quite. The title is "why are pushy vegans so pushy?". If the title was "why are pushy vegans pushy?" then yeah the question would be redundant. However there are degrees of pushiness and OP can be seen to be asking why pushy vegans achieve a certain degree of pushiness.
Original post by Amefish
Hi everyone :smile:

I met this girl at school, we sat next to each other in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and occasionally Maths. We didn't talk much, but we got along fairly well.

Once we left school we got a lot closer, we'd go circuit training together and a few festivals as well. For the past few months she's been really pushing on me that she's a vegan, and so has her friend. We'll be out looking for some new trainers or whatever, and she'd say "oh my god it's so bad to eat meat I need to send you this documentary".

We'd also go out and whenever I'd eat something she didn't agree with she'd really push it onto me why it's so bad. Every time I mention that I've got a health problem it's immediately "because eat meat and dairy and eggs and...."

I've got another vegan friend and whenever I eat something he doesn't agree with he'd say "I'm not trying to be horrible, I'm not being nasty but it's really disgusting that you're eating that. It's literally disgusting and I can't believe you're eating that"

It's got to the point that I feel like I can't eat much around my friends because I'm worried that they're going to rant to me about how bad it is.

Why are some vegans so pushy? It genuinely makes me not want to be friends with them because I can't stand to listen to another rant about how bad my food is.

I think its because most vegans feel the have the moral high ground, so they believe whatever they say is right. I think only vegans are like this. Like I work with Muslims when I eat pork they dont come and preach to me about the Qua-ran.
Because you are the cause of intense animal suffering. It's like asking why were anti-slavery actavists so pushy. If you can't grasp this you are an idiot. It's an inherently emotional subject.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by thecho$enone
I think its because most vegans feel the have the moral high ground, so they believe whatever they say is right. I think only vegans are like this. Like I work with Muslims when I eat pork they dont come and preach to me about the Qua-ran.

Maybe this is the same reason atheists are often so pushy? They feel they have some sort of moral/intellectual high ground.
Reply 32
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Because you are the cause of intense animal suffering. It's like asking why were anti-slavery actavists so pushy. If you can't grasp this you are an idiot. It's an inherently emotional subject.

Well not really. It's a collective effort. The vast majority of individuals cannot be held personally responsible, because if they stop consuming animal products it will make no difference to the number of animals that suffer, since the difference in demand is so small. I dunno, it's an interesting philosophical point that crops up in loads of places, politics and energy consumption being two more important ones. Many people see the problem with a certain course of action when it is collectively undertaken, but as they have so little personal power to change things they don't change their ways, but if everyone thought more positively, and did change, they would collectively solve the problem. Personally I would in one sense like to be at least vegetarian as it displeases me to know I am supporting such cruelty but I just don't see how it would help/how there are are any objective positive results to be had from it.
It's no different to how people constantly go on about how good bacon is.
Reply 34
Original post by Saeedpoppa
Would only work if OP's vegan friends were 6-year-olds.

What OP isn't 6 years old?:colone:
Your question is a bit of a tautology is it not? :tongue:
Reply 36
Original post by Saeedpoppa
Nah, I don't think so.

Sad times:frown:
Reply 37
Just tell them to shut up - and explain to them that you don't care whether or not they find something horrible. They eat what they want, and you eat what you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending