The Student Room Group

Radian Help

image.jpgimage.jpg Have to complete this for the end of this month but I've never been taught it? Any help would be appreciated, sorry if the photo is turned around:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MollieT3
Have to complete this for the end of this month but I've never been taught it? Any help would be appreciated, sorry if the photo is turned around:smile:

As stated, radians are an alternate way of measuring angles, and soon enough throughout A-level maths you will realise that it is the better way. Angles are measured in terms of π\pi when in radians. You need to know that 180degrees=πradians180 \text{degrees}=\pi \text{radians}, therefore 90degress=π2radians,360degrees=2πradians90 \text{degress} = \frac{\pi}{2}\text{radians} , 360 \text{degrees}=2\pi \text{radians} and so on.

To convert an angle of nn degrees into radians, you take that number and multiply it by π180\frac{\pi}{180} (you can see that the fraction would equal 1 as the numerator is the same as denominator, just in different measurements, so the quantity remains unchanged). This would gives you θ=nπ180\theta=\frac{n\pi}{180} where θ\theta is the angle in radians.

To convert an angle of mm radians into degrees, you take that number and multiply it by 180π\frac{180}{\pi} (the reciprocal of the first one). This gives you ϕ=180mπ\phi = \frac{180m}{\pi} where ϕ\phi is the angle in degrees.

Radians are useful in calculating arc length and area of sectors and such, especially for circles with these simple formulae:
Arc=rθA_{rc}=r\theta
Area=12r2θA_{rea}=\frac{1}{2}r^2\theta
...where rr is the radius of the circle.

It will also become necessary to use them when integrating trig functions. Other than that I'm not sure what else to tell ya.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
A radian is the angle subtended when the arc length is equal to the radius. There are 2π 2\pi radii in the circumference of a circle, so there are 2π 2\pi radians in a full circle.
Everything thing else follows from this.
Original post by MollieT3
image.jpgimage.jpg Have to complete this for the end of this month but I've never been taught it? Any help would be appreciated, sorry if the photo is turned around:smile:

Original post by RDKGames
As stated, radians are an alternate way of measuring angles, and soon enough throughout A-level maths you will realise that it is the better way. Angles are measured in terms of π\pi when in radians. You need to know that 180degrees=πradians180 \text{degrees}=\pi \text{radians}, therefore 90degress=π2radians,360degrees=2πradians90 \text{degress} = \frac{\pi}{2}\text{radians} , 360 \text{degrees}=2\pi \text{radians} and so on.

To convert an angle of nn degrees into radians, you take that number and multiply it by π180\frac{\pi}{180} (you can see that the fraction would equal 1 as the numerator is the same as denominator, just in different measurements, so the quantity remains unchanged). This would gives you θ=nπ180\theta=\frac{n\pi}{180} where θ\theta is the angle in radians.

To convert an angle of mm radians into degrees, you take that number and multiply it by 180π\frac{180}{\pi} (the reciprocal of the first one). This gives you ϕ=180mπ\phi = \frac{180m}{\pi} where ϕ\phi is the angle in degrees.

Radians are useful in calculating arc length and area of sectors and such, especially for circles with these simple formulae:
Arc=rθA_{rc}=r\theta
Area=12r2θA_{rea}=\frac{1}{2}r^2\theta
...where rr is the radius of the circle.

It will also become necessary to use them when integrating trig functions. Other than that I'm not sure what else to tell ya.

Original post by B_9710
A radian is the angle subtended when the arc length is equal to the radius. There are 2π 2\pi radii in the circumference of a circle, so there are 2π 2\pi radians in a full circle.
Everything thing else follows from this.

Much better to use tau as then e.g. tau/4 radians is a quarter circle, tau/3 is a third of a circle, etc., whereas e.g. pi/2 not being a half circle makes no sense. For more information see http://tauday.com/tau-manifesto
Original post by HapaxOromenon3
Much better to use tau as then e.g. tau/4 radians is a quarter circle, tau/3 is a third of a circle, etc., whereas e.g. pi/2 not being a half circle makes no sense. For more information see http://tauday.com/tau-manifesto

*sees tau in sentence*

Reply 5
Original post by HapaxOromenon3

I'm not a fan of τ \tau and in schools it's only ever π \pi that is mentioned.
Original post by B_9710
I'm not a fan of τ \tau and in schools it's only ever π \pi that is mentioned.

Exactly. Besides, τ\tau is just like π\pi without a leg. We wouldn't want any cripple irrationals here.

Quick Reply

Latest