The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why abortion should be illegal

Scroll to see replies

You don't see the point.

He didn't say no women are against abortion. He said that if men were the ones having babies, they would have long ago made abortion socially acceptable. In fact, they would have written their holy books with abortion being acceptable.
0.1% done for rape implies vast majority is done for non-medial reasons?

That leap of logic could only have been said by a religionist.
Original post by Underscore__
Then you punish those who are committing crimes. You can't simply say something has to be legal because people will do it anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

trust me it would never work over corrupt system would do something for the first year or two but then leave it

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
The difference there is people usually end up pregnant as a result of choices they've made so it's far more reasonable to say that you have a responsibility to a 'life' you've created rather than one you haven't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

By that argument, you've found yourself at the point of being able to donate organs by the choices you have made too. Because you could have chosen to drink more or eat more saturated fat or smoke so that you get to keep all your organs and personal autonomy. But you chose to eat well and exercise so now you've lost the right to decide whether to keep your non-essential organs.

So no this isn't about choices it's about shaming others and playing the "you've made your bed now lie in it" card.
we don't just let people instruct doctors to remove body parts because we don't want them anymore

There's a whole field of surgery that does operations like that. Plastic surgery. You can remove pints of fat, chop off part of your labia, remove bits of nose.

You can have your penis/vagina removed for non-emergency reasons. I mean I wouldn't say that gender realignment was simply "wanting" to remove a body part obviously but there are a whole host of valid procedures where we remove body parts that people don't want
Honestly, when it comes to abortion there are so many things to consider. Firstly, people have their own perceptions of when life actually begins. Some believe it's at the point of conception, others say at the point of recognisable heartbeat, some even believe life only begins at birth.

Then there's the idea of pregnancy as a result of rape or incest. The mother may not have a strong enough emotional connection to the baby, and may have not wanted to conceive in the first place. The instance of very low income or no income parents, bringing a child into a life of extreme poverty with no good prospects. Or parents who are at a high risk of abusing the child, it would be unethical (in my opinion) to leave a baby in the care of certain dangerous individuals. Adoption is always a possibility, but social services and adoption agencies are stretched enough as it is, plus few families ever look to foster or adopt.

Also, there are cases where continuing with a pregnancy could mean a fatality for mother or baby, or perhaps the baby could be born with a life limiting, or fatal illness. I honestly view it as cruel to deliver a baby who will only suffer for a few hours and then die in agony.I could never feel comfortable telling another woman what to do with her body.
As a lot of women don't report rape for fear of various consequences, we don't have reliable stats on the prevalence of rape and abortion.

Girls/women can't win. This was never about a bunch of cells floating around an organ. If you're raped and abort the baby, you're a "murderer". If you're raped and you go on to have the baby, your rape can't have been that bad otherwise why would you want to keep the permanent reminder?

Basically BS and blame. If we had the only in rape clause, how exactly would you prove rape? Are we supposed to rely on the dismal conviction rates to separate real rapes from all those lying women just accusing people of rape to get rid of the babies they made being reckless and shameless??

If you can't hear the sarcasm, I shall tell you it is there. The anti-abortion movement like to throw out a lot of sensationalist, and downright wrong, information. At 6 weeks, a foetus is no more a baby than a brain tumour is.
Original post by NUSTweb
All blessings are due to Allah and all harm is due to our hands for which we should seek forgiveness...

I don't understand this. Why are good things the result of Allah, but bad things the result of man?

Allah should take credit for both the bad and the good.
Original post by inhuman
Maybe you are incapable of understanding this, but some people don't give a rat's ass about God.

And are you a vegan? If not how do you live with the guilt of killing an animal? Or even plants, they are living organisms that you kill.

I'm perfectly capable of realizing that some people don't believe in God. If you didn't notice, I made it pretty clear that I don't force my views on other people. If you don't believe in God then feel free to get an abortion, I'm not stopping anyone. But personally I wouldn't want to answer how I killed a fetus to God. :dontknow:

And no, I eat meat. God gave humans power over the world, that includes animals and plants. :smile:
Original post by Sabertooth
I'm perfectly capable of realizing that some people don't believe in God. If you didn't notice, I made it pretty clear that I don't force my views on other people. If you don't believe in God then feel free to get an abortion, I'm not stopping anyone. But personally I wouldn't want to answer how I killed a fetus to God. :dontknow:

And no, I eat meat. God gave humans power over the world, that includes animals and plants. :smile:

Did he now, amen to that brother.
I would rather be torn apart in the womb at 13 weeks by a strong hoover than be born into a lifetime of misery, abuse and poverty
While I'm not in favour of banning abortion I think people need to stop with this 'woman's body, her choice' argument, it is complete nonsense

Posted from TSR Mobile

First good post
Original post by NUSTweb
Brother listen....All their bad condition is due to our wrong policies and acts...This is what our hands done and there are clear mistakes done by people who are behind them....
But Allah still provides them provision.....

You are like a man who kills his kid and says that Allah killed him....while this world is a test...
All blessings are due to Allah and all harm is due to our hands for which we should seek forgiveness...

''What comes to you of good is from Allah , but what comes to you of evil, [O man], is from yourself. And We have sent you, [O Muhammad], to the people as a messenger, and sufficient is Allah as Witness.''The world is a test for all...and who wants to do bad,does.....so he will be paid according....

Dude stfu with this Allah stuff ffs... your pathetic Ummah and most sacred religious countries have all consitently turned their back on the plight of people in poverty, people fleeing persecution and war more often than not inflicting such misery themselves

Religion needs to die, i cannot handle the harmful sanctimony and the stupidity
Original post by jamesthehustler
trust me it would never work over corrupt system would do something for the first year or two but then leave it

Spoiler

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Original post by ~Tara~
By that argument, you've found yourself at the point of being able to donate organs by the choices you have made too. Because you could have chosen to drink more or eat more saturated fat or smoke so that you get to keep all your organs and personal autonomy. But you chose to eat well and exercise so now you've lost the right to decide whether to keep your non-essential organs.

So no this isn't about choices it's about shaming others and playing the "you've made your bed now lie in it" card.

That's very tenuous. I'm not shaming anyone, I've said multiple times that abortion should not be banned

Original post by ~Tara~
There's a whole field of surgery that does operations like that. Plastic surgery. You can remove pints of fat, chop off part of your labia, remove bits of nose.

You can have your penis/vagina removed for non-emergency reasons. I mean I wouldn't say that gender realignment was simply "wanting" to remove a body part obviously but there are a whole host of valid procedures where we remove body parts that people don't want

Yes but there's a limit, I couldn't ask a doctor to amputate my arms and legs and attach them to my head. It would be perfectly reasonable to say that the limit on 'removing your body parts' (even though a foetus isn't a body part of a woman) could/should be drawn at removing something which will in all likelihood become a human.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't understand what you're trying to say.
Posted from TSR Mobile

our government is corrupt and cutbacks would lead to failing by police who are pushed to do more with less resources as for that other bit criminality is in my blood so I know the ins and outs of criminal mentality
our government is corrupt and cutbacks would lead to failing by police who are pushed to do more with less resources as for that other bit criminality is in my blood so I know the ins and outs of criminal mentality

I don't really understand the relevance of what you're saying though. My point has been that the fact people will continue to do something after it has been banned that's not a valid reason for not banning it. Your experience with criminals also seems rather irrelevant

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't really understand the relevance of what you're saying though. My point has been that the fact people will continue to do something after it has been banned that's not a valid reason for not banning it. Your experience with criminals also seems rather irrelevant

Posted from TSR Mobile

it not that people carry on it the death and corruption that it brings
it not that people carry on it the death and corruption that it brings

How does it bring corruption?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How does it bring corruption?

Posted from TSR Mobile

corrupt doctors who will do the deed
they in turn pay corrupt cops to turn a blind eye