The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by niteninja1
So your going to get into more debt just because you can.

It's people like you that destroy our economy, well your kind and labour

No i said i was going to listen to mass consensus and not buy that new pc. In case you didn't realise, but our government, and the usa, is founded on debt. We are billions in debt, and more everyday. So you can hardly blame me for using credit, which i do actually pay off thanks! j
Original post by john2054
No i said i was going to listen to mass consensus and not buy that new pc. In case you didn't realise, but our government, and the usa, is founded on debt. We are billions in debt, and more everyday. So you can hardly blame me for using credit, which i do actually pay off thanks! j

I haven't even gotten started yet in colleg A-level I was voted most controversial student union representative and student governor representative 3 times in a row
Original post by niteninja1
I haven't even gotten started yet in colleg A-level I was voted most controversial student union representative and student governor representative 3 times in a row

You do know that by going to university you are going to be taking out a debt of over £30k on average? All students do!
Yes it's no different from being paid £500 and then taking it out I do exactly the same with my HSBC account.
Good luck
Reply 25
Get a stocks and shares ISA, savings accounts are a joke right now
Original post by Gadero2

I owned shares in intel
Original post by Gadero2

Also 5% is a good rate
,makes sense how much savings do you have?
Have a look at natwests savings builder that isn't too horrific
I've got 5,200

I did have shares in Intel but me and my friend had an argument over when to sell them. I was right and we made £200 each but now don't talk.
Just a suggestion I don't know what you get at hsbc
It's steeped so the first amount is at the first rate then the rest is at the next rate.
take out an investment portfolio with Hargreaves and lansdown or Irwin Mitchell asset management??
An investment portfolio is different from a hedge fund. You make less money, but take less risk. There are also initial outlays, which are something like 2%, but they will make you more than double this per year in the long run, so are well worth it. Good luck. My money is with Irwin Mitchell btw.
Have a look at ratesetter
No you generally have to pay both a start up fee, and a yearly lump sump to invest with these providers, but they will make you more back in the long run. Best to give them a ring, google is your friend remember? ps they generally offer an intial free consultation. But invest for the long run.
Reply 37
Investing is risky for amateurs. You need to seriously educate yourself before you invest. If you don't know what a market beta, P/E ratio, P/B ratio, dividend yield, dividend cover, EPS, ROCE is, you really shouldn't be investing.

2 things to invest successfully:

1) Buy a great company. Do some digging. Read the balance sheet, look at the P/E, look at the dividend cover etc. See how it is doing on the high street. Have they got any contracts down the line etc?

2) Buy at a great price. Look at chart technicals. Buy when the stock is selling below intrinsic value. No point overpaying for a great company, you will go years without making profit. Look at ABF (listed on LSE) as a good example, 2 years of zero gains, even though primark is a great company. This happened because the stock was on a high P/E and had to correct if primark didn't keep over delivering on profits.

Now achieving both 1) and 2) together can be hard, but if you do, trust me you will become rich. Even if you can achieve 1) or 2) , you will make money. But it's always better to have 1) over 2) in the very long run. A great company will outperform a poor company over decades.

"Time is the friend of the wonderful company. The enemy of the poor" Warren Buffett
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gadero2
Investing is risky for amateurs. You need to seriously educate yourself before you invest. If you don't know what a market beta, P/E ratio, P/B ratio, dividend yield, dividend cover, EPS, ROCE is, you really shouldn't be investing.

2 things to invest successfully:

1) Buy a great company. Do some digging. Read the balance sheet, look at the P/E, look at the dividend cover etc. See how it is doing on the high street. Have they got any contracts down the line etc?

2) Buy at a great price. Look at chart technicals. Buy when the stock is selling below intrinsic value. No point overpaying for a great company, you will go years without making profit. Look at ABF (listed on LSE) as a good example, 2 years of zero gains, even though primark is a great company. This happened because the stock was on a high P/E and had to correct if primark didn't keep over delivering on profits.

Now achieving both 1) and 2) together can be hard, but if you do, trust me you will become rich. Even if you can achieve 1) or 2) , you will make money. But it's always better to have 1) over 2) in the very long run. A great company will outperform a poor company over decades.

"Time is the friend of the wonderful company. The enemy of the poor" Warren Buffett

If you buy an investment portfolio, the fund managers will do this leg work for you.
Reply 39
Original post by john2054
If you buy an investment portfolio, the fund managers will do this leg work for you.

Yes, but I can be more competent than them. They are fund managers, they over-diversify and take less risk.

I only hold 11 securities, while a fund manager will usually hold 70-120. A lot of what they are holding is bad, even if a lot of it is good.

You will achieve far greater returns picking your own securities, rather than relying on a fund manager. You don't make money following the sheep, you make money going against the sheep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending