The Student Room Group

How does one become exceptional at chemistry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alow
Oh god I hope this is sarcasm

The sticks, the IQ, or the credibility of the C3L6?
Reply 41
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
The sticks, the IQ, or the credibility of the C3L6?

The sticks thing I agree is stupid.

IQ is a poor measure of intelligence, and getting a certain grade on C3L6 absolutely does not mean you are good enough for Oxbridge or that you will get an A*. Getting an A* requires a lot more than being good at the subject.
Original post by alow
Yeah exactly, I've never taken an IQ test either and never will. If all you have to show for your supposed intelligence is an IQ test, you're definitely not that smart.

I don't understand why people would join institutions such as MENSA, it's just a bit sad and pathetic.

David Mitchell is quite funny on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPMKqyaXtHI
Don't compare to others and doubt your abilities. Do what you love and work on improving your version. That's the general key... We all have abilities.
You will have the answer to your question..
Original post by alow
The sticks thing I agree is stupid.

IQ is a poor measure of intelligence, and getting a certain grade on C3L6 absolutely does not mean you are good enough for Oxbridge or that you will get an A*. Getting an A* requires a lot more than being good at the subject.

Partially agree with the IQ part, but I really do think someone with an official IQ of 145 is going to be extremely smart. I dont think it's good for separating people of similar intellect though. It's original use was to highlight those with learning difficulties, not to necessarily and conclusively quantify intelligence.

Bro. Have you seen the people that get Rg? Cambridge personally invites them to the university. On the ability level, I think it gives them extremely high chances of getting in, it just depends on them having passion for it. I do believe getting Rg is much harder than getting an A* in chemistry (Assuming you did it in Y12).
Reply 45
Original post by MexicanKeith
David Mitchell is quite funny on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPMKqyaXtHI

That is amazing.
Reply 46
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Partially agree with the IQ part, but I really do think someone with an official IQ of 145 is going to be extremely smart. I dont think it's good for separating people of similar intellect though. It's original use was to highlight those with learning difficulties, not to necessarily and conclusively quantify intelligence.

All an IQ of 145 means is that you're good at IQ tests, and you're not mentally deficient.

Bro. Have you seen the people that get Rg? Cambridge personally invites them to the university. On the ability level, I think it gives them extremely high chances of getting in, it just depends on them having passion for it. I do believe getting Rg is much harder than getting an A* in chemistry (Assuming you did it in Y12).

Yeah because they won a prize, I've never heard it once mentioned at university. Just because it's harder than A Level chemistry doesn't make it an amazing discriminator, and getting a gold certainly isn't going to mean you are good enough.

For reference last year there were 101 Part II Chemistry students (91 the year before). There were 55 students this year who scored Rg and 541 who scored Au on C3L6. Personally I don't know a single chemist who took it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Is c3l6 something I should put some effort into doing well...
Just to clarify I've just started AS (not actually alevel!) And another clarification: my IQ was not thrown out there to prove anything-only as a way of giving a fairly brief insight into the context of.. me. I am fully aware of its 'Non' relevance.
Any good book suggestions/website links/ other resources to support and expand on content of AS?
Original post by alow
Things like this: http://webspectra.chem.ucla.edu/

A Level spectroscopy questions will be trivial if you can make it through a few of those.

Thank you :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by Chloe8585
Is there a methodical approach you could take to become extremely proficient at chemistry?

I'm an a level student. Don't get that same epiphany feel in chemistry (where your brain clocks away at extremely efficient speed...) as I would in other areas. Suggestions? Appreciate all insight. Willing to work extremely hard. IQ 145 (switched on but not a genius)

Thank you!

I think the best way is not just to memorise the answers, you have to try and understand the reason why. A lot of people struggle with A level chemistry because they simply try to memorise the answers, but you have to look deeper and really understand what is going on. It's good to do a lot of extra reading beyond the syllabus and take a real interest in chemistry.
Original post by Jpw1097
I think the best way is not just to memorise the answers, you have to try and understand the reason why. A lot of people struggle with A level chemistry because they simply try to memorise the answers, but you have to look deeper and really understand what is going on. It's good to do a lot of extra reading beyond the syllabus and take a real interest in chemistry.

Do you have any good books which you would know of, that would enable a student to gain greater understanding? ...something like Atkins physical chemistry, is that good?
Reply 51
Do you have any good books which you would know of, that would enable a student to gain greater understanding? ...something like Atkins physical chemistry, is that good?

You're going to need to know a lot more maths before getting anything out of Atkins' really.

As mentioned, Atkins is mathematical, and being physical chemistry, large parts of it are physics!

A more useful text for someone with a decent understanding of AS/A level chemistry would be 'why chemical reactions happen'It's read by 90%+ of Oxford chemistry applicants and gives quite a general overview, starting with some more physical principles and applying them in later chapters to explain organic reactions. I found it reasonably interesting (I read it over the summer in the middle of my time in sixth form)!

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/

Chemguide is great. It goes into a lot more detail than you will probably need. It also doesn't give you the cop out answers which most teachers and textbooks will give you.

http://chem.libretexts.org/Core
Is a very good website, a huge amount of detail, some of it beyond undergrad level.
Atkins is too advanced for you probably, it's a standard textbook for undergrad though. Similarly Organic Chemistry by Clayden and Inorganic Chemistry by Weller

Quick Reply

Latest