The Student Room Group

GCSE

Guys, does OXFORD or CAMBRIDGE accept the following A levels: BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, AND PYSCHOLOGY? OR IS IT BETTER TO HAVE A HARDER A-LEVEL INSTEAD OF PSYCHOLOGY???
Reply 1
They may care more for a certain subject depending on the course you apply for. I don't think they view any A-Levels as more valuable than others unless it is relevant to the course.
Reply 2
Original post by enthjmk5e664
Guys, does OXFORD or CAMBRIDGE accept the following A levels: BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, AND PYSCHOLOGY? OR IS IT BETTER TO HAVE A HARDER A-LEVEL INSTEAD OF PSYCHOLOGY???

Depends massively on the subject but for medicine and possibly sciences at Cambridge they want Maths or Physics as your third.
Reply 3
Original post by Okayn
They may care more for a certain subject depending on the course you apply for. I don't think they view any A-Levels as more valuable than others unless it is relevant to the course.

For MEDICINE
Reply 4
Original post by IsabelleP6
Depends massively on the subject but for medicine and possibly sciences at Cambridge they want Maths or Physics as your third.

I thought Psychology was a really hard A-level why is that not respected so much? And does anyone know if Physics is hard at A levels
Reply 5
I’m sure it is a really hard A level and is definitely valuable but for whatever reason they ask for 3 sciences (Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths, FM).

Fairly sure Oxford would accept you for medicine with those three but you need to check their website.

And if you’re not doing medicine those are a great selection of A levels.

Physics is a hard A level but if you enjoy it it’s worth doing.
Reply 6
Getting into university isn't based on how difficult the subjects are but instead on how good you do in those subjects and how well you perform in your interviews if applicable. In other words, they don't care if a subject is harder or easier as long as you do good in it and entry requirements don't require one of the subjects.
Reply 7
I’m sure it is a really hard A level and is definitely valuable but for whatever reason they ask for 3 sciences (Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths, FM).

Fairly sure Oxford would accept you for medicine with those three but you need to check their website.

So you think Biology, Chemistry, and Psychology are fine?
Reply 8
Just had a look at the website and this is only for certain colleges. I’m sure you’ll do well with your choices but you should look at their websites and think about contacting admissions if you still have questions.

Reply 9
Guys, does OXFORD or CAMBRIDGE accept the following A levels: BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, AND PYSCHOLOGY? OR IS IT BETTER TO HAVE A HARDER A-LEVEL INSTEAD OF PSYCHOLOGY?

So you think Biology, Chemistry, and Psychology are fine?

Yes if you are doing medicine if should be. Just a warning for Cambridge they do not consider psychology as a science subject and some colleges would like maths. Go check both Oxford and cambridge uni entry requirements for the course you are interested in xx
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 10
Biology, Chemistry and Psychology A levels are good for Oxford. As already said, Cambridge varies from college to college. Psychology is a tough and respected A level. I would advise picking ( between Physics and Psychology) the one that you enjoy most and are most likely to get the better grade in. Unless of course, you go for a Cambridge college that specifies that it requires Maths or Physics as the third A level.
Reply 11

Psychology is hard and well respected subject, and it is great as a 3rd for medicine everywhere, except at Cambridge, where a few of the colleges prefer 3 sciences.

Quick Reply

Latest