The Student Room Group

Doing higher maths privately to get admission for A levels

Its a desperare parents plea !! If anyone can help . But I'm quite anxious and disappointed , my son went for his interview today at the sixth form College. Well he went very confidently but unfortunately when he came out he was in tears . Reason being the interviewer told him to change his A levels options from chemistry to health and social care as she said that his predicted gcse scores especially in maths his grade 5 which doesn't qualify him to be get entry into A levels chemistry.

It becomes more difficult as he has foundation maths which the max he can achieve is Grade 5 if he does exceptional in maths .

So here goes the chemistry option out of the window
And I think for medicine which he intends to do is out of question as well .

Can anyonw please let me know- is this the min requirement for all A levels college here for chemistry or is there an exception somewhere?

Advise me what to do ? As I'm clueless and desperate.
?

Please any guidance is appreciated?
Thanks In advance
Reply 1
Go to the school and ask them to switch gcse to higher and do extra revision to get the grade up a bit. That would be bad if the said no. Maybe provide some context. They may say yes if the extra learning happens at home.
Reply 2
I can only assume they probably want a 6 or 7 which is possible if home revision starts to reach that grade. First Maths exam is 16 May so still got 100 days to get it sorted.
Reply 3
Or simply look for colleges and ask as they may allow a gcse resit as an option along side the three chosen a levels
Reply 4
For uni as well it is usually required to get a higher grade in maths than a 5 for STEM subjects as I have experienced.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending