The Student Room Group

Can anyone give me sound advice on my situation

Hello there, I could really do with an outsiders perspective! (3paragraphs, need an agony aunt type response, medical repose, maybe legal advice)

When I was 17 I went for a run as I normally do and ended up getting lost. Rather than asking anyone for help I just kept running because once I was lost I felt embarrassed about being lost so just kept going. After the running for 6 hours I was now hopelessly lost, dehydrated and very hungry. In the end I ended up collapsing and feeling very light headed. I was picked up by a policeman who spotted me, handcuffed me and took me to a police cell. I just went along with it and didn't complain in the exhausted state I was in. I was then put in a cell and told to change into prisoner clothing. My family were called and they picked me up in the evening to take me home.

The day after, because I got lost and it was not a legal matter instead this was now a medical one. A mental health charity turned up at my doorstep to treat me for having a mental health issue because nobody could understand how I could get lost in such a large city at that age. They were not doctors, yet, they immediately provided me with a course of three different medications to take and insisted that my family makes sure I take them.

2 weeks pass and now I feel extremely drugged up an incapable of representing myself properly. I can only describe it as being on some kind of tranquilliser permanently. I was seen by a psychologist and he too recommended just one medication to keep taking for the rest of my life. On the day I was not delusional, hearing things, psychotic, etc I was just on heavy meds. (Med taking with no symptoms). I have never experienced the symptoms described for bipolar disorder only the side effects of the drugs themselves. I was then unable to be myself any more.

5 years have passed and I have had a lot of conflict with the mental health service because I claim that they have exaggerated my condition whilst they claim that I have bipolar disorder and that I should be receiving help for it. I do not take any medications (a mature and stable person may I add), I currently work and I am looking to finish a degree in Biochemistry in the near future.

I feel like I am a victim of bad decision making and I would like to sue based on what I have stated above. Except I don't know if I can nor if anyone would be interested. I don't want to leave it because this can create problems for me in the future. What do I do?
Reply 1
Original post by oversizedcarrot
Hello there, I could really do with an outsiders perspective! (3paragraphs, need an agony aunt type response, medical repose, maybe legal advice)

When I was 17 I went for a run as I normally do and ended up getting lost. Rather than asking anyone for help I just kept running because once I was lost I felt embarrassed about being lost so just kept going. After the running for 6 hours I was now hopelessly lost, dehydrated and very hungry. In the end I ended up collapsing and feeling very light headed. I was picked up by a policeman who spotted me, handcuffed me and took me to a police cell. I just went along with it and didn't complain in the exhausted state I was in. I was then put in a cell and told to change into prisoner clothing. My family were called and they picked me up in the evening to take me home.

The day after, because I got lost and it was not a legal matter instead this was now a medical one. A mental health charity turned up at my doorstep to treat me for having a mental health issue because nobody could understand how I could get lost in such a large city at that age. They were not doctors, yet, they immediately provided me with a course of three different medications to take and insisted that my family makes sure I take them.

2 weeks pass and now I feel extremely drugged up an incapable of representing myself properly. I can only describe it as being on some kind of tranquilliser permanently. I was seen by a psychologist and he too recommended just one medication to keep taking for the rest of my life. On the day I was not delusional, hearing things, psychotic, etc I was just on heavy meds. (Med taking with no symptoms). I have never experienced the symptoms described for bipolar disorder only the side effects of the drugs themselves. I was then unable to be myself any more.

5 years have passed and I have had a lot of conflict with the mental health service because I claim that they have exaggerated my condition whilst they claim that I have bipolar disorder and that I should be receiving help for it. I do not take any medications (a mature and stable person may I add), I currently work and I am looking to finish a degree in Biochemistry in the near future.

I feel like I am a victim of bad decision making and I would like to sue based on what I have stated above. Except I don't know if I can nor if anyone would be interested. I don't want to leave it because this can create problems for me in the future. What do I do?

I suggest that if you want to take this up, you speak to a lawyer and see if you would have a case and if it would be worth it. You'll need to consider what you would gain from a successful case and what impact the stress of the situation could have on you.

I will not tell you if you should or shouldn't take it up since it is your situation and there will be a lot that I am unaware of. I suggest you see a professional and get help working it out for yourself.

I'm sorry you had to go through such a difficult situation and am glad that you seem to have come out of it a fully functional and capable person.
Original post by Kindred
I suggest that if you want to take this up, you speak to a lawyer and see if you would have a case and if it would be worth it. You'll need to consider what you would gain from a successful case and what impact the stress of the situation could have on you.

I will not tell you if you should or shouldn't take it up since it is your situation and there will be a lot that I am unaware of. I suggest you see a professional and get help working it out for yourself.

I'm sorry you had to go through such a difficult situation and am glad that you seem to have come out of it a fully functional and capable person.

Yeah I will see what I can do it's just I am just thinking long term. The diagnosis could be used against me such as exempting me from a number of activities and professions, I lose personal freedoms such as a private home life, whom I share feelings to, what drugs are going in and out of my body. It could be used against me if I ever split up with a spouse for instance and kids were involved? Or at work somebody could force me out of a job if they knew and used this information to push me out. Plus I don't know what societies stance and the governments stance will be on people with a psychiatric condition in 10-20 or even 50 years time. I mean, I am a smart, educated young person now that can reason and stand up for himself. However, when I am 50 I could get early onset alzheimers or something and then get forced to take antipsychotic meds for bipolar disorder in a mental institution. That would be a disgusting way to go, especially considering I don't even have bipolar disorder.

That is why it is worth pursuing, not for the negligence part, although what has been done to me is pretty disgusting.

Imo, if I was to do the most sadistic thing possible to do to a human being it would be force drugging and put them in a mental institution. Just saying.
Reply 3
Original post by oversizedcarrot
Yeah I will see what I can do it's just I am just thinking long term. The diagnosis could be used against me such as exempting me from a number of activities and professions, I lose personal freedoms such as a private home life, whom I share feelings to, what drugs are going in and out of my body. It could be used against me if I ever split up with a spouse for instance and kids were involved? Or at work somebody could force me out of a job if they knew and used this information to push me out. Plus I don't know what societies stance and the governments stance will be on people with a psychiatric condition in 10-20 or even 50 years time. I mean, I am a smart, educated young person now that can reason and stand up for himself. However, when I am 50 I could get early onset alzheimers or something and then get forced to take antipsychotic meds for bipolar disorder in a mental institution. That would be a disgusting way to go, especially considering I don't even have bipolar disorder.

That is why it is worth pursuing, not for the negligence part, although what has been done to me is pretty disgusting.

Imo, if I was to do the most sadistic thing possible to do to a human being it would be force drugging and put them in a mental institution. Just saying.

The part I am most interested in is the charity that gave you the medication. From what i've heard and my understanding of this stuff I would think it is against their policy (or even law) for them to give you medications without a profesionals advice. That's where I would start personally. If you know the name of the charity you could look into their policies (although they would probably be different now and when it happened).

Also, I believe that in the uk children (17 is a child) need to be seen by a psychiatrist before they can be given medication. I could be wrong, but if that is the case then depending on when you were given meds it could be misconduct.
Also, just know that to be put in a mental institution withour your concent you need to be sectioned under the mental health act if you are a risk to yourself or others.
A professional like a lawyer will know all of this stuff better than me or anybody on here so I strongly suggest you see one. It's certinally possible that you have a case. You could also consider talking to the press if you want. There's a lot of stuff at the moment about the failings of the nhs and other institutions in caring for people with mh conditions. You could also get a second opinion from a psychiatrist regarding your condition. If you do this I would suggest you go private as the nhs will just agree with your records most likely.

Good luck. The whole mh system is a pain to go through even when you direly need it so i would hate to have to go through it as somebody who doesn't.
Original post by Kindred
The part I am most interested in is the charity that gave you the medication. From what i've heard and my understanding of this stuff I would think it is against their policy (or even law) for them to give you medications without a profesionals advice. That's where I would start personally. If you know the name of the charity you could look into their policies (although they would probably be different now and when it happened).

Also, I believe that in the uk children (17 is a child) need to be seen by a psychiatrist before they can be given medication. I could be wrong, but if that is the case then depending on when you were given meds it could be misconduct.
Also, just know that to be put in a mental institution withour your concent you need to be sectioned under the mental health act if you are a risk to yourself or others.
A professional like a lawyer will know all of this stuff better than me or anybody on here so I strongly suggest you see one. It's certinally possible that you have a case. You could also consider talking to the press if you want. There's a lot of stuff at the moment about the failings of the nhs and other institutions in caring for people with mh conditions. You could also get a second opinion from a psychiatrist regarding your condition. If you do this I would suggest you go private as the nhs will just agree with your records most likely.

Good luck. The whole mh system is a pain to go through even when you direly need it so i would hate to have to go through it as somebody who doesn't.

I was under-age (17), when this incident occurred and I did not formerly see a doctor before being given anti-psychotic medication by people visiting on my doorstep. I wasn't sectioned I was just told this was the best help for me at the time when a man and a lady visited my home.

And yes. I don't receive the same standard of care as a result by doctors that are 40 years+ that have a very Victorian attitude to mental health. Doctors from the 1980's-1990's tend to be very good though.
Reply 5
It's certainly unusual to be given medication on your doorstep. Even crisis teams don't carry medications on them - for safeguarding of not for much else. Going around the community with drugs which can be used to lace narcotics...would put them in hugely vulnerable position. Usually you'd get a prescription and paramedics would be called if you were in full blown crisis mode.

GPs can prescribe to under 18s though they often prefer to refer to camhs. It's very rare in the uk for a charity to be able to afford a psychiatrist, doctor or community psychiatric nurse

I'm surprised they didn't conceive idea of you getting lost in familiar area. Dissociation is a common phenomenon in mental health from dissociative disorder to dissociative identity disorder to other illnesses such as borderline personality and post traumatic stress disorder.

Forgetting all that, you'd struggle to get anywhere with a law suit. The reasonable man test might well ponder why you didn't ask for help and that maybe your reasoning was hindered by mental health. Diagnostics in mental health are not an exact science. And you really wouldn't be the first perpsn who, in their eyes, has strong paranoia and denial of their own state of mind.

Bipolar disorder is unlikely to have much stigma in job market.

Quick Reply

Latest