The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
I was assured that we would all think each of our own colleges was the best.

Now I am worried. Perhaps that is a lie, perhaps everyone at Cambridge secretly wishes they applied to Trinity.

Everybody will, in the end. :wink:
Original post by Mathemagicien
I was assured that we would all think each of our own colleges was the best.

Now I am worried. Perhaps that is a lie, perhaps everyone at Cambridge secretly wishes they applied to Trinity.

I just hate my room and my kitchen and my location.
So not really the college but most things tied to it lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1702
Original post by physicsmaths

Unlucky. The rooms and kitchens on lower floors are quite a bit larger.

I'm not saying it will work but I know an international fresher who complained about being on the 4th floor before everyone else arrived and they were moved. If you're tall it would help, as you can ask for one of the rooms that is about 0.5m longer than a normal room (so about 1m longer than yours).
Original post by alow
Unlucky. The rooms and kitchens on lower floors are quite a bit larger.

I'm not saying it will work but I know an international fresher who complained about being on the 4th floor before everyone else arrived and they were moved. If you're tall it would help, as you can ask for one of the rooms that is about 0.5m longer than a normal room (so about 1m longer than yours).

Who do I complain to?
I am 6 foot 3 so it should help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1704
Who do I complain to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go to the tutorial office tomorrow and ask, I think the accommodation person shares that office but if not they'll point you in the right direction. It's in the Cavendish building (the one with the great hall), walk in through the main doors to the building (the big wooden ones which automatically open) and walk straight down until you see a staircase on your right, just before the buttery, turn right at the staircase (don't go up) and then walk straight until you see an office on your right which has doors with windows. I think it says tutorial office on the door too. I think it opens at 10. Maybe 9.

My girlfriend had a 4th floor room in first year and she found it a bit small... and she's 5'2". It must be so much worse for you.
I just hate my room and my kitchen and my location.
So not really the college but most things tied to it lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

/
Dirty fridge is really unfortunate. If you're sure those food doesn't belong to someone already in the corridor, speak to House-keeping manager or a porter and ask them to sort it out for you. It helps if you put your name on to all the food (packaging) that's yours, so that they know which to throw away. A bedder usually do not touch inside a fridge when someone started living in a corridor, so it's better to do it through 'official' route, I think.

As for the room size, it's not just Homerton but at many colleges fresher's rooms are often the smallest. It comes as a shock when you first see it because it's a sort of size and shape you don't usually see in an ordinary house. When I first saw my daughter's room, I couldn't stop laughing....:tongue:

As @alow suggested, if they can change it for you because of your height, that'd be great. But if they can't, don't despair. You'll get used it. You may not want to :tongue:, but you probably will. :biggrin:

And at colleges with small fresher's rooms, things usually improves later years........fingers crossed!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1706
Original post by vincrows
/
Dirty fridge is really unfortunate. If you're sure those food doesn't belong to someone already in the corridor, speak to House-keeping manager or a porter and ask them to sort it out for you. It helps if you put your name on to all the food (packaging) that's yours, so that they know which to throw away. A bedder usually do not touch inside a fridge when someone started living in a corridor, so it's better to do it through 'official' route, I think.

As for the room size, it's not just Homerton but at many colleges fresher's rooms are often the smallest. It comes as a shock when you first see it because it's a sort of size and shape you don't usually see in an ordinary house. When I first saw my daughter's room, I couldn't stop laughing....:tongue:

As @alow suggested, if they can change it for you because of your height, that'd be great. But if they can't, don't despair. You'll get used it. You may not want to :tongue:, but you probably will. :biggrin:

And at colleges with small fresher's rooms, things usually improves later years........fingers crossed!

Yeah Homerton's rooms for second year + are much larger. My room in second year wasn't ensuite but it must have been twice the size as my first year room (which was a fair bit bigger than physicsmaths' current room, thanks to the angled roof meaning the 4th floor rooms have loads of the room cut off and the room being a lot shorter).
Original post by alow
Yeah Homerton's rooms for second year + are much larger. My room in second year wasn't ensuite but it must have been twice the size as my first year room (which was a fair bit bigger than physicsmaths' current room, thanks to the angled roof meaning the 4th floor rooms have loads of the room cut off and the room being a lot shorter).

Yeah, same at my daughter's college and a few other colleges I've known of.
I think it's much better that way than the other way around like some colleges I don't dare to name here atm......:tongue:
Who do I complain to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should be better than this.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_nAbKu41Vc

This guy was really unfortunate. No other room is as small as that, apparently.
Obviously they didn't know how tall he was when they allocated the room.......

So you're 6ft 3 and not rowing? What a waste.......
(edited 7 years ago)

So you're 6ft 3 and not rowing? What a waste.......

ha ha literally praying I get one of the rooms in the renovated block at Fitz because the old rooms are pretty dire to say the least :frown:
Original post by josephinemar25
ha ha literally praying I get one of the rooms in the renovated block at Fitz because the old rooms are pretty dire to say the least :frown:

Yeah I had a look at the renovated room and kitchen&sitting area. They look really nice. :smile: I wonder how far the renovation has progressed.
But someone I know who was at fitz a few years ago said she'd miss sitting on the corridor floor with her friends with a bowl of food in their hands....... You can never win.........
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah I had a look at the renovated room and kitchen&sitting area. They look really nice. :smile: I wonder how far the renovation has progressed.
But someone I know who was at fitz a few years ago said she'd miss sitting on the corridor floor with her friends with a bowl of food in their hands....... You can never win.........

Hell no!!! The renovated rooms and kitchen are like different worlds away from the old ones. Currently its 50:50 renovated to old for incoming undergraduates. so I have a 50% chance but they wont tell you till you arrive (so fingers crossed). Are you going to Fitz then??
Hell no!!! The renovated rooms and kitchen are like different worlds away from the old ones. Currently its 50:50 renovated to old for incoming undergraduates. so I have a 50% chance but they wont tell you till you arrive (so fingers crossed). Are you going to Fitz then??

I'm not an applicant. :wink:
I'm not an applicant. :wink:

so your a current student???
Reply 1714
no a natsci

Where did you get this booklet from????
Original post by 12284

I got emailed it by college. Maybe not all colleges require/want there students to do it. IT was just like A level Maths questions so not too bad :smile:
Original post by 12284

Colleges do this kind of thing differently. :wink:

Oh dear, Physicsmaths room is smaller than that, I've seen pictures...

edit: okay nevermind that, I assumed the ensuite would be a seperate room. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)

Which led me to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrzrhiHFjKY

Especially 2 mins 40...
Original post by jneill
Which led me to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrzrhiHFjKY

Especially 2 mins 40...

For people who're going to Clare this weekend.....
Don't worry, he's not there anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending