The Student Room Group

Uni, confidence, anxiety and life

Hi
Ive just started uni last week . Tommorow begins my first day of actual teaching.
So the low down
Im 18 , female and i have a v low self esteem and confidence. Im losing weight , lost one stone and i thought that would increase my confidence but it hasnt. I get teribbly nervous and shy and pannicky when presenting something and even asking a question. Throughout college this led me to not even ask for help when i needed it and for the fear of being judged. I have anxiety or so the symptoms or feelings of it. I dread presting and have already strated to check assestment methods to see if i need to do that which i do. Im unsure about my current course and this week was thinking about switching . However i didnt know what i wanted to do and most of the ones i thought about most likley had a lot of presenting speaking and group work in.

Im good at worjing im groups i just panic and get shaky sweaty and feel sick when presenting and even readjng sometjing aloud to a class. In college i mangaed to presnet a few times but i went threw all of these feelings. I had a panic attack while reading aloud in my class in college that ever since ive now become scared of doing anything or presneting in front of people. My boice started to shake i went bretheless and stopped. At the time i didnt know it was an attack but i had a simmilar feeling a week prior to that. Like most kids my confidence increased and decreased in college i developed another issue which im not saying on here because im embarresed but, that rbh had resulted in or worsened alot of these issues. I stayed away from friends and didnt have many in college i had lots of people i spoke to but not neccesarily friwnds. Uni is a fresh start and i want it to go well can anyone help me ?
I couple of weeks ago i started to re cut stupid i know and it hurt everytime but i ws frocing myself ive since stopped , last time was 2/3 weeks maybe less but i thought id get back into it incase uni and tjibgs didnt go right id have somethig to fall back on.

I already feel like the group of friends ive made now really dont like me and ive started to question them and me . Its even more awkward since my course is mainly guys and my friends are mostly girls.

Im thinking about seeing a counsellor to help with all these issues.
But any advice , stories amd word of wisdom would really be appreciated . Thank you
Reply 1
Somebody please help
Its getting too much
Hi OP,
Take comfort in the fact that you are trying. If you get judged by a random stranger, they are not worth being around.
Out of interest, what is your course and what skills do you aim to acquire during your time at uni?
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
Hi OP,
Take comfort in the fact that you are trying. If you get judged by a random stranger, they are not worth being around.
Out of interest, what is your course and what skills do you aim to acquire during your time at uni?

Thanks,
Im doing exercise science
I want gain confidence , self esteem, leadership skills and just being comfartable with who i am , i want to rid my anxiety and my particular anxiety issue. I want to be less nervous,more happy and be more enthusiastic and outgoing
Exercise science, huh?
I'm sure you'll make practical use of your studies the next time you work out at a gym. Since you can never outperform the opposite gender "physically", don't worry about asking males for help; the decent ones will be kind enough to make you feel welcome :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by shawn_o1
Exercise science, huh?
I'm sure you'll make practical use of your studies the next time you work out at a gym. Since you can never outperform the opposite gender "physically", don't worry about asking males for help; the decent ones will be kind enough to make you feel welcome :smile:

Yh they tie in together and yh i can ask then for help , a lil afraid haha but i can its more so my confidence, and presenting and anxiety that are the issues
Original post by Anonymous
Yh they tie in together and yh i can ask then for help , a lil afraid haha but i can its more so my confidence, and presenting and anxiety that are the issues

If you need presentation confidence, think of it as like playing a sport. It's ok to mess up slightly as long as you're on course to win the game, nobody really plays a "perfect" game. Similarly everyone stutters a bit while presenting, even those with much experience.

Quick Reply

Latest