The Student Room Group

Struggling social life cost and can't find a job

So i only got a £3820 loan from student finance for rent and my parents pay in £20 towards food per week. But they are very stingy with money so I have little to barely go out and socialize with. I can't exactly ask for more because it is just for eating out etc yet they don't want me to work either and just focus on my degree :/
I'm trying to find a job but am failing atm cus I have ZERO experience in the working world. I only have volunteering work. I even got rejected from MacDonald XD
Any advice for finding a part time job? I applied to like 10places already

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rt6f
So i only got a £3820 loan from student finance for rent and my parents pay in £20 towards food per week. But they are very stingy with money so I have little to barely go out and socialize with. I can't exactly ask for more because it is just for eating out etc yet they don't want me to work either and just focus on my degree :/
I'm trying to find a job but am failing atm cus I have ZERO experience in the working world. I only have volunteering work. I even got rejected from MacDonald XD

Hey, I'm sort of in a similar situation myself. I managed to secure accommodation but my student loan didn't cover the cost for a year so I knew I had to get a part time job.

Have you tried barwork? Lots of places like pubs or maybe clubs will hire you without any experience. The only downside is that the hours might be unsociable.
Be grateful that your parents are giving you any money at all.
Reply 3
Sweden has a 9000 or so government loan that every student can take regardless of their parental income. This would be a much better system. I feel like this current ayatem allows parents to hold their children to ransom. "Wanted to study Architecture? Too bad I'll only finance a medical degree."

Also it seems some households over 40k, or whatever the threshold is, are not as rich as they seem. Why not just have a standard loan that is reasonable say 8k then have extra support for poor students if they need it?
Reply 4
Original post by #ChaosKass

Who said I wasn't grateful? I just need spare cash and I am looking for alternative routes - not asking my parents for more
how are you applying for jobs? Online or in person?*

For me, when I was younger - Online applications were a waste of time for anything part-time retail based. Best thing I ever did was just to approach it the old fashioned way - target business that do not go the online-application form route (small buisness, pubs, bars, resteraunts) and just go and give them a CV and talk (definetly talk, dont just give them a CV and then run) to them in person.*

Most are going to reject you, but if your persistent, have a good attitude, and are not a complete idiot - then eventually you will get something.

Also, go for jobs that are used to employing students, student bars/cafes etc, close to the uni. Many jobs will reject you because they know you will disapear for 1/3rd of the year to go home (sometimes at their peak times, in the summer etc) - so first target those buisness that cater to students, and are used to employing students. if this does not work, get very good at quickly explaining how you will not be going away from university in the summer/winter/spring holidays.

Check the uni job boards frequently, and look for opertunities within the university itself. from my experiance open days are a nice source of bonus cash.. I used to do 3-4 a year, for around 40 quid each. Its not much, but its better then nothing.*
Original post by Who_Cider
Sweden has a 9000 or so government loan that every student can take regardless of their parental income. This would be a much better system. I feel like this current ayatem allows parents to hold their children to ransom. "Wanted to study Architecture? Too bad I'll only finance a medical degree."

Also it seems some households over 40k, or whatever the threshold is, are not as rich as they seem. Why not just have a standard loan that is reasonable say 8k then have extra support for poor students if they need it?

Sweden also has a much higher GDP per capita, much higher taxes and less of an income gap which makes it more viable. The UK system works, it's only a problem in the unfortunate situation where your parents aren't funding you as much as they should be and you can't find a job, which is pretty rare.

OP talk to your SU, they're usually quite happy to give jobs to students that are struggling for money.
Original post by Rt6f

Hello :smile:,

Keep looking! Don't give up - that's my suggestion. You just have to keep applying and don't give up. In student cities they are often a lot of jobs available - especially bar work as someone has mentioned - they'll train you and take you on even with no experience. So, they are always a good place to look at!

At the same time, approach your university. They sometimes have a list of jobs in the local area for students so check with me!

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Get out there and apply in person. You can apply online, but you need to apply to so many to increase your odds of your CV actually being seen by a human being that it seems like no one wants you. If you are applying online, make sure you check through your CV when you upload it, I know Indeed can mess up the format of it when they convert it to their PDF file and I didn't start getting any offers until I found out and fixed it.
Tutoring? Not that much time needed for a relatively high hourly rate.
Do your friends have jobs? My uni job hunt ended when a friend suggested me at her workplace. Unfortunately for everyone else, that kind of thing goes a long way.
Original post by #ChaosKass

Sorry but this comment is so unnecessary. If OP is getting the minimum loan (Which is sounds like they are) then their parents are expected to make up the shortfall.
Not sure what university you're going to but they usually offer some kind of careers service to help you get into temporary work which is basically meant for students e.g. during A Levels I worked at Chessington World of Adventures - basically any seasonal and temporary/casual work is easy to get in to as they are not really bothered about that stuff (I think Mcdonalds, KFC, these things prefer to hire differently, not sure how it works because they don't accept some people applying online but when you go into their stores you see some of the people working and are like wtf you cant even speak english).

Anyways, try hospitality/bar/retail jobs.. for a start Compass Event Jobs try that they have locations all around the UK e.g. twickenham, leicester, reading mostly stadiums or horse racing things. Merlin Attractions is easy too but depends where u going uni...

Good luck!
I am in the same boat. But keep applying. I applied to about 30 in a week and got about 5 replies back wanting interviews. Unfortunateoy I couldnt make it to any of them because my lectures were at interview times.

But keep applying. There wi be loads of temp jobs coming up as its christmas season after Halloween so you might have a good chance at places like Tesco, Argos, Toys R Us, etc etc.

Good luck sweetheart!
Its a tough world to crack. You just need to keep applying,applying and applying. Be it online or in person. If a store doesn't have it online it doesn't mean theres nothing available. Try go in person and speak. The best way I feel is to speak to someone cause you can make an impression. My CV isn't great academically but when people meet me in person I usually come off really well.

*Remember like others have said Christmas jobs are coming up and plenty of temporary with the chance for extension jobs will be available. Keep trying and don't get too disheartened if you can't get anything straight away.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Sweden also has a much higher GDP per capita, much higher taxes and less of an income gap which makes it more viable. The UK system works, it's only a problem in the unfortunate situation where your parents aren't funding you as much as they should be and you can't find a job, which is pretty rare.

OP talk to your SU, they're usually quite happy to give jobs to students that are struggling for money.

I don't know how common the "parents not giving what's expected" situation is but ive seen a scary amount of threads of people doing courses they don't want to do or struggling with maintenance because of finance. NUS or someone should investigate this and see how widespread this probelm is.

I still believe a standard loan is more beneficial. Would save money in beurocracy as well.
I don't know how common the "parents not giving what's expected" situation is but ive seen a scary amount of threads of people doing courses they don't want to do or struggling with maintenance because of finance. NUS or someone should investigate this and see how widespread this probelm is.

I still believe a standard loan is more beneficial. Would save money in beurocracy as well.

Bear in mind that TSR isn't representative of UK student life however and even then that certain topics are much more likely to come up than others. I would imagine the SFE has a pretty decent idea of how much of a problem it is, but it's likely very small, probably just hundreds are affected per year which isn't something worth spending a few hundred million per year over.

We're much more likely to see universal income than a standard loan, might as well make that jump in equality for all financial assistance rather than just student loans.

Do you really think that the OP is going to up sticks and move to Sweden on that basis? :rolleyes:
Original post by Rt6f

I've just mentioned in other thread the lead generation. This is new and coming up and you are good with zero experience. Practically you provide contacts to a company and they do the rest. If the company has a good service (like huge savings), then it's not hard to find someone who is interested.

The best I can think of now is the Merchant Service Calculator on Google play (lion is their logo). Using the app you submit contacts, if they make a deal, you get £100.

Quite simple.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending