The Student Room Group

A-Level Biology

Hey
I conducted an experiment last week about transport across cell membranes within beetroot, I have to describe in my introduction "why would ethanol and temperature effect the permeability of the membrane to the betalain pigment" I haven't got an idea how to answer it, I thought it had something to do with the phospholipid heads in the cell membrane of the beetroot mixing with the ethanol to cause the ethanol to make hydrogen bonds. Please help!
Think about the how increasing the temperature would affect the stability of the membrane - what effect would increased temperature have on the pigment molecules? For ethanol, how would a polar compound such as ethanol interact with the phospholipid bilayer? Where is the hydrophillic part of the phospholipid molecule in the bilayer and how could that interact with a polar compound such as EtOH
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Think about the how increasing the temperature would affect the stability of the membrane - what effect would increased temperature have on the pigment molecules? For ethanol, how would a polar compound such as ethanol interact with the phospholipid bilayer? Where is the hydrophillic part of the phospholipid molecule in the bilayer and how could that interact with a polar compound such as EtOH

Hmm I'm assuming the higher the temperature the cells within the beetroot would burst? Causing more pigment? I honestly have no idea

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending