The Student Room Group

Should I do Chemistry or Biology A-level?

I am about to choose my A-levels and I would like to do Natural Sciences or Physics at University level. I am giong to choose Further Maths, Maths and Physics, but I am not sure which to choose between Chemistry and Biology. I want to do Biology modules if I choose natural sciences, but if I do not choose it now then I am worried I will not be able to do such modules. However, I still love Chemistry very much, so I am not sure which would be best to choose or if I should do both subjects.
Original post by Physicist123
I am about to choose my A-levels and I would like to do Natural Sciences or Physics at University level. I am giong to choose Further Maths, Maths and Physics, but I am not sure which to choose between Chemistry and Biology. I want to do Biology modules if I choose natural sciences, but if I do not choose it now then I am worried I will not be able to do such modules. However, I still love Chemistry very much, so I am not sure which would be best to choose or if I should do both subjects.

It's more common for bioscience subjects at degree level to require some background in chemistry than biology. If you enjoy chemistry I'd say go with that - a couple of topics are useful background for physics, and a number of them are necessary background for some areas of biology.
Reply 2

I'd say that chemistry pairs better with your other subjects and, from what I've heard, biology (and biology modules) post A level are quite chemistry heavy and chemistry would be better for physics. It's also worth bearing in mind that biology A-level in VERY content heavy and so a lot of what you do will just be learning content whilst chemistry is more focussed on understanding (and is regarded as harder than bio) but they're both good options

I've just finished Y12 doing chem, bio and history so feel free to ask any questions
Reply 3
Original post by yogo1o
I'd say that chemistry pairs better with your other subjects and, from what I've heard, biology (and biology modules) post A level are quite chemistry heavy and chemistry would be better for physics. It's also worth bearing in mind that biology A-level in VERY content heavy and so a lot of what you do will just be learning content whilst chemistry is more focussed on understanding (and is regarded as harder than bio) but they're both good options

I've just finished Y12 doing chem, bio and history so feel free to ask any questions

Thank you for your response. Do you think that I would fall behind at university in my biology modules if I don't do biology A-level though? Or would you deem Chemistry more important, because it would aid my studies in both physics and biology anyway?
Reply 4
Thank you for your response. Do you think that I would fall behind at university in my biology modules if I don't do biology A-level though? Or would you deem Chemistry more important, because it would aid my studies in both physics and biology anyway?

I actually spoke to my biology teacher about something similar, he didn't do chemistry A-level and said that he had to learn a lot of the A-level chem stuff whilst at uni which he said was a lot of work - to answer your question, I don't think you would fall behind but I think you would initially find yourself having to do more work to catch up. That being said, if you didn't do biology, you would then have to catch up on the biology content at uni, if you chose to do biology modules, but I think that catching up in bio would be easier than catching up in chem. I'd say chem would be more useful for you but ultimately choose what you enjoy, and you'll probably be able to switch right at the start of Y12 if you think you've made the wrong choice

If you look at the following thread, there are a couple of Lancaster Uni reps who have studied natural sciences. You could ask them if their A level choices restricted which pathway they took:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7315939
At Lancaster University, the Chemistry A-level is required for the Biochemistry, Cell Biology and Genetics Pathway of Natural Sciences, whereas the Biology A-level is not required for any Natural Sciences Pathways. So you might as well choose Chemistry and not do Biology.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
(edited 8 months ago)

Hey!

I’m Oliver and am currently a third year in natural sciences at Lancaster.
Every university is different but for natural sciences at Lancaster our biology pathways don't actually require A-Level biology and from people I've spoke to you can definitely get on fine with the course without a biology background.
My advice would always be to choose the subject you enjoy more as you'll get the most out of it.

Hope that is helpful and best of luck with your decision 😊Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any

Oliver (Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest