The Student Room Group

What hobbies help you?

Hello, I have anxiety, OCD and quite possibly depression. Since developing this I've done less and less of things I used to enjoy and I find it difficult to do things. I was wondering what hobbies anyone has found to be helpful/ possibly make you happy?
for me it has always football, my problems never follow me onto the pitch - a sport is always a really good hobby
Violin omg
I would be so lost without it
Orchestra and just playing random sheiBe from Star Wars to [video="youtube;JGCsyshUU-A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGCsyshUU-A[/video]
just calms me down and man, I would recommend an instrument or just listening to music
Helps you clear your head and chill
Just
Yeah.
Reply 3
Watching YouTube videos :tongue:
I really like playing roller hockey. There's no team where I live but the gym has a rink so, when I can find the motivation, it really makes me feel better to lace-up those skates and hit a puck about for an hour or so. Exercise is good because it makes your body release "feel good" chemicals, even something as simple as a brisk walk or slow jog can give you a temporary boost. :smile:
Reply 5
The only thing that really helps me, especially with my OCD is gaming. Its the first thing I turn to when I'm at my worst and it gives me a much needed distraction away from obsessions, compulsions and built up emotions. I've often credited Skyrim for being one of the things that has kept me from hitting rock bottom as it gave me an outlet and an escape, even just for a few hours a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Walking in the park, where there is fresh air and time to reflect actually helps calm your mind and concentrate.
I also love playing the piano, which again helps me to concentrate.
I also enjoy playing chess, which helps train my mind to recognise patterns and helps me to keep an active mind.
Reply 7
Original post by Spock's Socks
The only thing that really helps me, especially with my OCD is gaming. Its the first thing I turn to when I'm at my worst and it gives me a much needed distraction away from obsessions, compulsions and built up emotions. I've often credited Skyrim for being one of the things that has kept me from hitting rock bottom as it gave me an outlet and an escape, even just for a few hours a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg this is really strange because I read a post recently about when you don't feel like doing things, set something to do every day and do it no matter how you feel. So I made a list, and so far, the only thing I've stuck to (although I haven't got myself to do it every day), is playing a game and I think it might possibly help. I seem to have felt kind of happy when I've been playing it sometimes but sometimes I'm still thinking too much. I'm glad to hear that it helped with you and I think it will help me too so thank you for affirming this :smile:

I've played skyrim too! I'm not very far yet and haven't played it in a while but it is a very cool game. I really want to get back to completing as many games as I can, it's just getting myself to keep playing and not end up watching tv or surfing the internet which doesn't really make me feel any better!
Original post by Anonymous
Omg this is really strange because I read a post recently about when you don't feel like doing things, set something to do every day and do it no matter how you feel. So I made a list, and so far, the only thing I've stuck to (although I haven't got myself to do it every day), is playing a game and I think it might possibly help. I seem to have felt kind of happy when I've been playing it sometimes but sometimes I'm still thinking too much. I'm glad to hear that it helped with you and I think it will help me too so thank you for affirming this :smile:

I've played skyrim too! I'm not very far yet and haven't played it in a while but it is a very cool game. I really want to get back to completing as many games as I can, it's just getting myself to keep playing and not end up watching tv or surfing the internet which doesn't really make me feel any better!

Games can be good for distraction. I haven't played in a while (as I forget controls then don't want to play again :colondollar: ) but I'm really tempted by the new South Park game. The original was great - easy to play and absolutely hilarious. I've tried Skyrim but it's a lot of effort, whereas South Park is easy to pick up and put down when the mood strikes you. Imo anyway. :smile:
I've been playing guitar for over a decade - once you get to that point where you and the guitar are in total symmetry, playing it is like taking yourself on a journey of sound and emotion. if it's not guitar, then it's video games, or youtube/itunes. at one point it might have been tv shows, movies and animes, but I'm "too old" for those now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze
I've been playing guitar for over a decade - once you get to that point where you and the guitar are in total symmetry, playing it is like taking yourself on a journey of sound and emotion.

Getting to that point requires a hell of a lot of dedication and self-motivation though, right?
Original post by Sabertooth
Getting to that point requires a hell of a lot of dedication and self-motivation though, right?

well, it's generally just a biproduct of loving music - if you don't like music, then there's no point. if you love music, then it's a natural progression. at least for most people. my dad, for instance, has literally thousands of LPs and CDs but he's never even tried to play the guitar (or a similar instrument)
but I myself am probably not representative of most guitarists because I have perfect pitch so guitar playing is a lot easier than it would be otherwise
Original post by Sabertooth
Games can be good for distraction. I haven't played in a while (as I forget controls then don't want to play again :colondollar: ) but I'm really tempted by the new South Park game. The original was great - easy to play and absolutely hilarious. I've tried Skyrim but it's a lot of effort, whereas South Park is easy to pick up and put down when the mood strikes you. Imo anyway. :smile:

I get what you mean, when I play skyrim I have to really concentrate and it takes ages to search things and pick up items and make sure I haven't missed anything. It's good to have something that is easier to pick up and do, I think for me at the moment it's kingdom hearts as I have been playing the series for years and I can just put it on and do a load of battles. I want to play my other games too though.
Have you tried landscape photography? Getting out for long walks is good, but having the focus of trying to find good shots is something to keep you mind on. And you get the reward/satisfaction when you take a great picture.

Dave (Enquiries, Wrexham Glyndwr University)

Quick Reply

Latest