The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 04MR17
115518Ahem? Maths studies? Otherwise known as Maths?
Please tell me they're not making you do AS (except for Maths of course).

Yea but its different to normal maths because we learn about maths thats useful in everyday life.

And yea we have to do AS

115 525
Original post by Bluebutterfly310
Yea but its different to normal maths because we learn about maths thats useful in everyday life.

And yeah we have to do AS
Oh really? What exam board is that with?

WHY? Oh this vexes me do much! You do not need to sit AS levels in new linear subjects!
Original post by 04MR17
115527Oh really? What exam board is that with?

WHY? Oh this vexes me do much! You do not need to sit AS levels in new linear subjects!

Not quite sure yet, only just started it. Got told by the school i have to do it because they wanna boast me maths knowledge for geography and psychology :colonhash:

And what ya mean??

115 528
115 529
115 530
(edited 7 years ago)
Not quite sure yet, only just started it. Got told by the school i have to do it because they wanna boost my maths knowledge for geography and psychology.

And what do you mean?
Is it this specification?

And what I mean is that A Levels used to be (back in the 70s) where you did all of the exams at the end of two years and that was it. Then they changed to where you did you AS units in the first year, got grades for them and then did A2 units for the second year because AS+A2=A Level. Now, some subjects are going back to the old system, but some have yet to move; they call it de-coupled. So you can take either a one year AS or a two year A Level as separate qualifications often with similar but different content. So for English Lit, psychology and now geography: you do not have to take any exam until the end of year 13. However, many school wrongly (in my view) force their students to take a one year AS course in year 12, followed by a two year A Level course in year 13; in other words 3 years of work in two years. Thankfully, I am not doing this but it still aggravates me that some students get pushed to do this unnecessarily.
Original post by 04MR17
115532Is it this specification?

And what I mean is that A Levels used to be (back in the 70s) where you did all of the exams at the end of two years and that was it. Then they changed to where you did you AS units in the first year, got grades for them and then did A2 units for the second year because AS+A2=A Level. Now, some subjects are going back to the old system, but some have yet to move; they call it de-coupled. So you can take either a one year AS or a two year A Level as separate qualifications often with similar but different content. So for English Lit, psychology and now geography: you do not have to take any exam until the end of year 13. However, many school wrongly (in my view) force their students to take a one year AS course in year 12, followed by a two year A Level course in year 13; in other words 3 years of work in two years. Thankfully, I am not doing this but it still aggravates me that some students get pushed to do this unnecessarily.

It could be that one.

Oh i see thank you for explaining that and got to say many things were simpler back in the day.
And yea got my AS exams at the end of year 12 and then my A2 exams at the end of year 13 but in year 13 i can drop a subject i think.
And i agree with ya that wrong to do that to students.

115 535
(edited 7 years ago)
It could be that one.

Oh I see thank you for explaining that and I've got to say many things were simpler back in the day.
And yes got my AS exams at the end of year 12 and then my A2 exams at the end of year 13 but in year 13 I can drop a subject I think.
And I agree with you: that's wrong to do that to students.

115 534
To point out: you've got your AS exams this year; but next year, those are not A2 exams, they are A Level exams. The AS has no bearing on your A Level whatsoever. You will find that the A Level exams are quite similar to the AS, except that there will be noticeable differences (e.g. different texts for English).

Also, you might want to edit that number.:wink:
Original post by 04MR17
115536To point out: you've got your AS exams this year; but next year, those are not A2 exams, they are A Level exams. The AS has no bearing on your A Level whatsoever. You will find that the A Level exams are quite similar to the AS, except that there will be noticeable differences (e.g. different texts for English).

Also, you might want to edit that number.:wink:

Sorry this as/a level thing is still new and im was unsure. Thank you for explaining.

115 538
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry this as/a level thing is still new and im was unsure. Thank you for explaining.

115 537
No problem. I don't blame you. I blame the government's education reform. Everyone's struggled to understand it: teachers, students, university admissions etc. If you ever want any help (I'm second year of A Level doing Maths[A2], English and History), feel free to PM me.

Latest