The Student Room Group

Need help with a pH question

hi I would like some help with part d please.
Attachment not found
here is my working . I don't get how you can just use the concentration of the acid as the conc of the h+ ions because they are different right ? without a Ka value, how are to supposed to find conc of h+ since ph is -log of h+. also I know the answer is -, how can ph be - tho??

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
IMAG1672_1.jpg here is a better picture
Original post by coconut64
IMAG1672_1.jpg here is a better picture

Yes, I can feel your pain ...

It is perfectly feasible for pH to be negative. Any concentration of strong acid greater than 1 will have a negative pH.

In fairness, the pH scale was never designed to work with concentrated acids as one of the basic assumptions - that strong acids are 100% dissociated in aqueous solution does not hold for very strong solutions.

I imagine that they are expecting you to assume 100% dissociation and then blindly apply the pH = -log[H+].

Taking the question at face value, 65% of 1400 = 910g
Moles of nitric acid = 910/63 = 14.44 mol
Hence solution is 14.44 molar in H+ ions = pH -1.16

If we apply equilibrium principles, there is simply not enough water for the full dissociation, assuming:

HNO3 + H2O <==> NO3- + H3O+
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by charco
Yes, I can feel your pain ...

It is perfectly feasible for pH to be negative. Any concentration of strong acid greater than 1 will have a negative pH.

In fairness, the pH scale was never designed to work with concentrated acids as one of the basic assumptions - that strong acids are 100% dissociated in aqueous solution does not hold for very strong solutions.

I imagine that they are expecting you to assume 100% dissociation and then blindly apply the pH = -log[H+].

Taking the question at face value, 65% of 1400 = 910g
Moles of nitric acid = 910/63 = 14.44 mol
Hence solution is 14.44 molar in H+ ions = pH -1.16

If we apply equilibrium principles, there is simply not enough water for the full dissociation, assuming:

HNO3 + H2O <==> NO3- + H3O+

Thanks. When you say 100% dissociation , does that mean h+=hno3 for the concentration ?
Thanks. When you say 100% dissociation , does that mean h+=hno3 for the concentration ?

yes

You might also like to consider what the pH of a very dilute solution of acid might be. For example, nitric acid with a concentration of 10^-9 mol/dm3
Reply 6
Original post by TeachChemistry
You might also like to consider what the pH of a very dilute solution of acid might be. For example, nitric acid with a concentration of 10^-9 mol/dm3

Nearly 1?
Nearly 1?

Remember that [H+][OH-] = 1 x 10-14
Reply 8
Original post by charco
Remember that [H+][OH-] = 1 x 10-14

Isn't that kw ? I thought in this case, you will do -log h+ to find pH ... Thanks
Isn't that kw ? I thought in this case, you will do -log h+ to find pH ... Thanks

Yes, and kw is a CONSTANT
Reply 10
Original post by charco
Yes, and kw is a CONSTANT

Why can't you use pH=-log h + though ? Thanks
Nearly 1?

Concentration of 10-9 so VERY dilute
Why can't you use pH=-log h + though ? Thanks

The learning point here is that the hydrogen ion concentration due to the dissociation of water is 10-7 which is far greater than the hydrogen ion concentration from the nitric acid.

Plugging in 10-9 into the pH = -log [H+] equation would give a pH of 9 which is obviously impossible. An acid must have a pH of below 7. We have to consider the water.

The hydrogen ion concentration is 0.000000101

This gives a pH of 6.996.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest