The Student Room Group

Public Health ST1 Programme 2024 Entry Thread

With the completion of the 2023 round of recruitment, this thread is meant for those planning to apply for the 2024 round (and those who have succeeded previously and wish to help with information). Hopefully, we can support each other towards favorable outcomes by next year.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Really pleased to have found this thread. I’m hoping to assemble a bit of a study support group for non-medical applicants. Also I’d really welcome recommendations for revision resources.
I'm personally wondering what to do with current career as I wish to do the programme but am hating working for LA. Whilst I can do locum work in my chosen field, reality is that I won't be able to get a reference. I'm looking for work outside of LA but am conscious as my induction period is almost a year at band 6 equivalent and I want to leave ASAP (I want to finish some projects I am working on but they won't be done till September!)
I'm doing some things with a side hustle, however that isn't paid work / voluntary (it is relevant to health however).
Also looking for health roles outside of traditional fields.
Reply 3
Original post by Jacub91
Really pleased to have found this thread. I’m hoping to assemble a bit of a study support group for non-medical applicants. Also I’d really welcome recommendations for revision resources.

I’m also a non medic and considering applying this year.

I’m not sure what there is to revise beyond practice tests and reading the person specification! A registrar I know did recommend the foundation year SJTs too as some of the values will be the same. I had a brief look but I found them a bit hard to relate to public health.
Reply 4
Hi everyone. I wanted to inquire if anyone know of practice resources...thank ks
Does anyone know of any upcoming open days? In the North East?
Reply 6
Original post by chief_labrat

27th September 10-1 - email [email protected] to sign up.
Hi everyone! I am considering applying for the non medical route. I currently work for the NHS at Band 6 role + inner London allowance. Does anyone know what the salary/progression is for someone in the training? I mean it would be amazing if I get into the training but I need to get an idea of what my salary will be for the next 5 years.. Thank you!
Original post by Eeeeeeevaaaaa
Hi everyone! I am considering applying for the non medical route. I currently work for the NHS at Band 6 role + inner London allowance. Does anyone know what the salary/progression is for someone in the training? I mean it would be amazing if I get into the training but I need to get an idea of what my salary will be for the next 5 years.. Thank you!

I can't help with London, but in Wales it is a percentage of a band 8d, so presume it would be similar. You are covered by pay protection, so the minimum you would receive is a match to your current role. An example of what our registrars receive is at ST1 it is 45%, so in the region of £44k. rising each year incrementally.
Original post by sharon.nesbitt
I can't help with London, but in Wales it is a percentage of a band 8d, so presume it would be similar. You are covered by pay protection, so the minimum you would receive is a match to your current role. An example of what our registrars receive is at ST1 it is 45%, so in the region of £44k. rising each year incrementally.

That's super helpful. Thank you!
Reply 10
Hi what are the study resources?
Hi all, I'm the Specialty Training Programmes Manager for Public Health Wales. We have a few resources to share for those considering applying but restrictions will not allow me to share email details here. PM me if you would like further information.

Hi sharon.nesbitt, this resource would be so helpful to me
I also tried applying last year but didn't get in.
I think it might have something to do with the whole band6/7 work experience. Can someone please explain better how to show career and education evidence.
Original post by username6424556
I also tried applying last year but didn't get in.
I think it might have something to do with the whole band6/7 work experience. Can someone please explain better how to show career and education evidence.

Essentially band 6 equivalent is if you earn more than £32k a year (might be 34k). Usually involves some amount of management experience as well. So 2 years and above experience at band 6+.

For me, for example, I'm technically doing 2 jobs which aren't nhs banded but 1 is equivalent of 7 and the other band 6.but have way more experience than that at 7.
Does anyone know where to find a list of the universities affiliated to the training where one will go if successful to do the Masters in Public Health? I am interesting in looking at the course material and any similarities/differences. Can people choose which university they would like to go to?
Original post by chief_labrat

HEE have now produced recruitment pages which features recruitment events and taster days https://medical.hee.nhs.uk/medical-training-recruitment/medical-specialty-training/public-health
Hi all, I'm the Specialty Training Programmes Manager for Public Health Wales. We have a few resources to share for those considering applying but restrictions will not allow me to share email details here. PM me if you would like further information.

Hi. I am also applying for the programme this year. Can you please share resources with me? That would be very helpful. Many thanks
Reply 17

Hi Sharon - I'm new on here so can't PM until I've posted a couple of times, but would love a bit more info about this if you were able to send it through :smile:
Reply 18

Hi, thats great. I am planning to apply this year. wonder we can contact via NHS account?

Hi Sharon, would be great if you don’t mind sharing! Not able to PM yet as I haven’t posted enough. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending