The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Manspreading!?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dandaman1
You came across as trying to contradict my previous post. I retorted. To clarify, are you saying that most man-spreaders do not do it for this reason?

I'm saying that if you 'manspread' and you're not doing it for those reasons (not to mention the fact that you do move if you appear to be in the way or bothering people, hello) then... surprise, you're not one of the men who do it for those reasons.

Your argument actually seems to be that because you don't do it for those reasons, and you move out of the way if necessary, then no-one else exhibits the behaviour described. Except plenty of men refuse to move out of the way even when they know they're bothering others. There are clearly two groups of manspreaders. Stop denying that the other group exists as a way of protesting your own innocence.
Original post by Ronove
I'm saying that if you 'manspread' and you're not doing it for those reasons (not to mention the fact that you do move if you appear to be in the way or bothering people, hello) then... surprise, you're not one of the men who do it for those reasons.

Your argument actually seems to be that because you don't do it for those reasons, and you move out of the way if necessary, then no-one else exhibits the behaviour described. Except plenty of men refuse to move out of the way even when they know they're bothering others. There are clearly two groups of manspreaders. Stop denying that the other group exists as a way of protesting your own innocence.

Whilst your argument basically seems to amount to 'I've got a feeling that this is what's going on' as opposed to any hard evidence for it. There's also the fact that your experience is as subjective as his.
Original post by limetang
Whilst your argument basically seems to amount to 'I've got a feeling that this is what's going on' as opposed to any hard evidence for it. There's also the fact that your experience is as subjective as his.

My experience is far more informed than his, given that he hasn't been the woman on the receiving end of this behaviour multiple times. Obviously.
Original post by Antifazian
Haha, ok. What's your basis for saying it doesn't exist?

Because I could real off endless stats about sexual violence, rape, abuse against women, the glass ceiling, pay gaps, street harassment, the division of household labour and childcare, female genital mutilation, sex trafficking, abortion laws, slut shaming, sexual objectification and over-sexualisation of particularly young girls, and so on - all of these things overwhelmingly disadvantage women. Those are facts. Even where they negatively impact men, as some of these issues do, the figures are tiny when compared to those for women.

So tell me again how there is no patriarchy..?

Because you've just selected a bunch of areas where women face problems, and refuse to include areas where men face problems.

I could list a series of instances in society where men are disadvantaged. Looking at only one "side" of things is pointless. The fact that you only are looking at one side of things actually indicates that you are the one who is sexist.
Original post by Dandaman1
I would posit it is the latter. While I, for example, am more than happy to move my legs if they're in the way, some men with poorer manners may not be, sure. Bad manners, however, are not what I'm defending. What's going through our minds isn't "I'm king of the train, bow down to my splayed manhood, female concubines and beta males." Nothing is going through our minds.

'Manspreading' is a lazy habit at worst, not some epidemic of social entitlement or a male subconscious desire to dominate and intimidate.

Exactly. It's a pretty inconsiderate thing to do, but it's not some attempted demonstration of male dominance...
Original post by Ronove
My experience is far more informed than his, given that he hasn't been the woman on the receiving end of this behaviour multiple times. Obviously.

Exactly, which is why I question what we can gain from your experience. Beimg on the recievibg end of it does not neccersarily mean you know why people are doing it. At leastt as an individual man the person you've quoted at least knows why he does it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Because you've just selected a bunch of areas where women face problems, and refuse to include areas where men face problems.

I could list a series of instances in society where men are disadvantaged. Looking at only one "side" of things is pointless. The fact that you only are looking at one side of things actually indicates that you are the one who is sexist.

I wouldn't bother, I tried arguing and realised I was either talking to a troll or a total raving misandrist.
Original post by limetang
Exactly, which is why I question what we can gain from your experience. Beimg on the recievibg end of it does not neccersarily mean you know why people are doing it. At leastt as an individual man the person you've quoted at least knows why he does it.

Don't you know she is a mind reader: It definitely, definitely, definitely is what's going through the minds of the few. She has the same powers as Professor X

ps. Did u get my PM?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rad_student
Don't you know she is a mind reader: It definitely, definitely, definitely is what's going through the minds of the few. She has the same powers as Professor X

ps. Did u get my PM?

It doesn't take a mind reader to work it out when some of them smirk to themselves when you nearly trip over them trying to get out because they refuse to move, etc, etc.
Original post by Chief Wiggum

Maybe that's because i'm not talking about men! :eek:

Once again, it is shocking that, when faced with evidence of the magnitude of these issues, you just go 'but what about men!?', instead of accepting that there is a huge issue here. It's like you can't bear to think that men might not be the centre of every conversation. Men may have issues, but they are not being killed, raped, sexually harassed and domestically abused by the opposite gender in huge numbers as women are. If you don't think that's a big problem, then there's no point even engaging with me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Antifazian
Maybe that's because i'm not talking about men! :eek:

Once again, it is shocking that, when faced with evidence of the magnitude of these issues, you just go 'but what about men!?', instead of accepting that there is a huge issue here. It's like you can't bear to think that men might not be the centre of every conversation. Men may have issues, but they are not being killed, raped, sexually harassed and domestically abused by the opposite gender in huge numbers as women are. If you don't think that's a big problem, then there's no point even engaging with me.

Ah, I see, you aren't being serious. Nobody could possibly be as stupid and illogical as your posts suggest, so I can only assume you are joking.

I'm not saying men should be the centre of attention. I'm saying that if you only focus on areas where women are disadvantaged, then that is sexist and unfair. If your posts in this thread are genuine, then you are incredibly sexist and have a serious attitude problem. I do hope you're joking though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 131
Original post by Kaeseia
I clicked the thread with visions of some new horror movie involving a knife and toast... slight disappointment.

... but yeah, I'm a lady and even I know guys spread to make their nuts comfortable. I'd rather them "manspread" than have to keep adjusting their underwear/sweaty nutsacks.

I spread my legs to keep my balls comfortable

Latest

Trending

Trending