The Student Room Group

Languages applicants for 2013!

Might be a bit too early for this, but oh well, I'm thinking about where I'm applying next year already so I'm sure some others are too :smile:
I'm looking to study French and Spanish at uni, already thought about UCL, Southampton and Newcastle but not sure where else. What about everyone else? Also if anyone has any recommendations for good language degree universities, feel free to post them here!

Scroll to see replies

Oooh ooh me me me :biggrin:

I'm applying for deferred entry in French and Italian ab initio.

Not sure where I'm applying yet, but I'm considering Cambridge, Durham, Warwick, Kent, Sheffield, Leeds, York, Reading and the University of London Institute in Paris.

It all depends on how my results turn out :P
Reply 2
Oohh what A-Levels are you doing? I've considered Cambridge before but have a feeling my GCSEs wouldn't be good enough, I only got 2 A*s :frown: (they were in languages though :biggrin:)
*hand in air* woooo that's me. :smile:

There's so much choice, though! o.o Lots of open days goin' on methinks. :L

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Oli-Ol
Oooh ooh me me me :biggrin:

I'm applying for deferred entry in French and Italian ab initio.

Not sure where I'm applying yet, but I'm considering Cambridge, Durham, Warwick, Kent, Sheffield, Leeds, York, Reading and the University of London Institute in Paris.

It all depends on how my results turn out :P

Hiya :smile: We linguists are such a rare breed that I just had to have a wee nosey round this thread!

If you have any questions about applying to Cambridge, gimme a shout :smile:
Reply 5
:smile:
I'm applying for French and ab-initio Spanish or Italian.
Looking at Cambridge, UCL, Durham, Warwick, Birmingham, Sheffield and others.
Waiting on results :P
Original post by Catherine.
Hiya :smile: We linguists are such a rare breed that I just had to have a wee nosey round this thread!

If you have any questions about applying to Cambridge, gimme a shout :smile:

Thanks! :biggrin:

Which languages are you hoping to study?

How much extra reading did you do prior to application?
Reply 7
Original post by constantmeowage
*hand in air* woooo that's me. :smile:

French/German/Spanish, but there's so much choice. o.o Lots of open days goin' on methinks. :L

Which of those 2 did you do at A-Level? :smile:
Original post by rach_kirke
Which of those 2 did you do at A-Level? :smile:

Next year it'll be all three of them. o.o Do you do both French and Spanish? :smile:

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Next year it'll be all three of them. o.o Do you do both French and Spanish? :smile:

Whaaat, how? :O My school only lets you do two languages :frown: French and then either Spanish or German. Wouldn't have minded doing 3! haha. Yeppp, I do French Spanish, History and Politics :smile: probably going to drop politics for A2 though.
Reply 10
Original post by PudPud
:smile:
I'm applying for French and ab-initio Spanish or Italian.
Looking at Cambridge, UCL, Durham, Warwick, Birmingham, Sheffield and others.
Waiting on results :P

UCL open day on the 4th? :biggrin:
Whaaat, how? :O My school only lets you do two languages :frown: French and then either Spanish or German. Wouldn't have minded doing 3! haha. Yeppp, I do French Spanish, History and Politics :smile: probably going to drop politics for A2 though.

Mine's only letting me do it if I get an A* in my GCSE Spanish. D: It's nerve racking stuff. XD

And yeah I did politics at AS. ;( I can't essay write for toffee. :s XD

Reply 12
Mine's only letting me do it if I get an A* in my GCSE Spanish. D: It's nerve racking stuff. XD

And yeah I did politics at AS. ;( I can't essay write for toffee. :s XD

ahh so you're doing a GCSE in it this year? i think i understand :wink: i do two essay ish subjects and i suck :frown: i can actually write essays better in french and spanish ...somehow :L
ahh so you're doing a GCSE in it this year? i think i understand :wink: i do two essay ish subjects and i suck :frown: i can actually write essays better in french and spanish ...somehow :L

Yeah GCSE this year, and then the full A Level next year, so I have to kinda learn the syllabus over the summer. XD Stressful times. :tongue:

I agree. :smile: I think I've mastered the art of the language essay, but all the essays for English I find just obscenely difficult. XD

Been waiting for this thread to pop up! :smile: I'm applying for Scandinavian studies at UCL for 2013 entry, with Swedish as my main language - I'm so looking forward to it, there are no words haha
Reply 15
Original post by Squaresquirrel
Been waiting for this thread to pop up! :smile: I'm applying for Scandinavian studies at UCL for 2013 entry, with Swedish as my main language - I'm so looking forward to it, there are no words haha

UCL wooo! :biggrin:
Original post by Squaresquirrel

Ooh, what got you interested in Scandinavian studies??

And same, really excited about German!
Original post by Butterfly9595
Ooh, what got you interested in Scandinavian studies??

And same, really excited about German!

Not really sure tbh with you, It started out with one book and now all I listen/read/breathe is Scandinavian stuff, What about you how did you become interested in German??

UCL wooo! :biggrin:

Wooooooooooooo!!! :biggrin:
Reply 18
hello,
i am applying for french & german for 2013
Considering - Bath, Exeter/ UCL , Warwick, Durham and bristol !
I hope you don't mind me posting here as I'm thinking about doing french combined with a subject, possibly history or international relations. My GCSEs aren't great for the likes of Oxbridge,UCL, Durham so I'm thinking about Manchester,reading and Royal Holloway plus some others maybe a bit lower down depending on my ASs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending