The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Biology Unit 1 June 12- 14th of May

Scroll to see replies

Generally did everyone think it was great/good/bad/terrible. I'm scared about the grade boundaries January was ridiculous! :s-smilie:
Reply 221
Original post by amberee
Anyone remember what they wrote for the giraffe question on circulation?

I put that the blood needs to be transported to the extremities of the giraffe over large distances - so simple diffusion would not be fast enough. Mentioned about use of a mass flow system and double circulation. I think that it would be good to say something about an active lifestyle of the giraffe? (I didn't actually put this)
Original post by Kabelan1
What about why 80 year olds are provided with drugs to lower blood pressure?

My drug was antihypertensives, but what was your reason?

their blood vessels are older so elastic tissue more worn out. something along those lines gets the 2nd mark i think
Reply 223
Original post by amberee
their blood vessels are older so elastic tissue more worn out. something along those lines gets the 2nd mark i think

I put exactly that, something about their vessels lossing elasticity
Reply 224
Original post by amberee
Generally did everyone think it was great/good/bad/terrible. I'm scared about the grade boundaries January was ridiculous! :s-smilie:

jan was sooo high :O havent met anyone 'happy' yet, im hoping < 55/80
arghhhh this exam was horrible
Reply 226
i did awful, even though i answered all the questions, they werent to the best of my ability, hopefully i can do better in unit 2.
Reply 227
Wasn't the question about hypertensives to do with why taking them reduces the chance of CVD? Not why older people have an increased risk. :s-smilie:
Original post by oli_G
Wasn't the question about hypertensives to do with why taking them reduces the chance of CVD? Not why older people have an increased risk. :s-smilie:

blood flows at lower pressure but I think you had to explain why you need blood at a lower pressure. We can't be sure until the mark scheme comes out though :indiff:
Reply 229
Original post by oli_G

i said beta blocker for that question am i wrong?
Reply 230
Original post by dirrane

Well a beta blocker is a type of antihypertensive so I guess you'd get the mark :smile:
Reply 231
Original post by dirrane

i think that should be fine because that also lowers blood pressure.
Reply 232
anyone remember the difference between caffeine structure and amino acids?
Reply 233
Original post by amberee
blood flows at lower pressure but I think you had to explain why you need blood at a lower pressure. We can't be sure until the mark scheme comes out though :indiff:

Hmm, cause I talked about if blood is at a lower pressure the chances of atheroma formation are less - hence atherosclerosis is reduced. Making a CVD less likely.

I guess you're right
Reply 234
omg, for the structure of the heart 5mark question, who related the structure to the function?????? the qu said describe the strucure, so all i did was say oh ''the heart is divided into four chambers..has semi lunar and atrioventricular valves, tough tendinous chords, left vent has thicker muscular wall...blah blah...i didnt actually mention anyhting about the function and how these features actually help the heart do its job. Anyone know what im on about??
Reply 235
Original post by dirrane
anyone remember the difference between caffeine structure and amino acids?

Amino acids contain an amino group and carboxyl group - neither of which are found in caffeine.

I think.
Reply 236
Original post by dirrane

I was going to write that :frown: I knew that from psychology, buti ended up writing statins and my reason was because it reduces cholesterol meaning less likley to form atheroma which lrad to blood clots if blood pressure damages the arteries. (I've clearly failed this exam again)
Reply 237
Original post by unity93
omg, for the structure of the heart 5mark question, who related the structure to the function?????? the qu said describe the strucure, so all i did was say oh ''the heart is divided into four chambers..has semi lunar and atrioventricular valves, tough tendinous chords, left vent has thicker muscular wall...blah blah...i didnt actually mention anyhting about the function and how these features actually help the heart do its job. Anyone know what im on about??

I thought the question was

"Describe the structure of the mammalian heart" (i don't remember anything about function?)
Reply 238
Original post by oli_G
Amino acids contain an amino group and carboxyl group - neither of which are found in caffeine.

I think.

legend
Reply 239
Original post by unity93

i kind of said that too, it said describe the structure so.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending