The Student Room Group

To those of you with depression...

What medication are you on/what dosage?
How long have you been on it?
Do you find it helpful?

I'm on 40mg of Citalopram. I found it helped for a good year but now it doesn't seem to be helping. I am already on the maximum dosage

Scroll to see replies

I'm on 100mg of Sertraline twice a day, which is the maximum dosage. It doesn't do that much tbh but I can function, which is the main thing :yes: Been on Sertraline for ages now. Since February, I think :yes:
I'm not on any medication - doctors refused to give me any :frown:. I think I'm gonna try counselling again though.
Reply 3
I started on 40mg citalopram and the doctor reduced the dosage down to 10mg over a year. I also had counselling, my depression was linked to the birth of my third child, so it naturally got better really.
Reply 4
450mg Moclobemide, been on it since the start of November at 300mg. Been on 450mg for almost a month. It's helping a fair bit, still could be better but there's a little headroom in the dosage yet.
Reply 5
I'm currently not on any medication, although I have been on citalopram (before they realised I had Bipolar, which really screwed me up for a few weeks) and then on quetiapine (seroquel) for about 18 months before I chose to come off it, and have been med-free for about a year now :smile:
Original post by BigDamnHero
I'm currently not on any medication, although I have been on citalopram (before they realised I had Bipolar, which really screwed me up for a few weeks) and then on quetiapine (seroquel) for about 18 months before I chose to come off it, and have been med-free for about a year now :smile:

Are bipolar people not supposed to take citalopram then? (I'm schizoaffective, so kinda relevant to me if that's the case) :smile:
Reply 7
Mental illness is underated these days don't you think? People assume not many have it.
Reply 8
Mirtazapine 30mg (SSRIs do not agree with me)

Been on it nearly 5 years...

It's not a "popular" drug because of the side effects it can often cause. I have a love-hate relationship personally. It stops me chewing the carpets and helps me sleep, but I also feel like I've got a permanent hangover and I get 'floaty head' a lot. People have told me that I say insensitive things without thinking a lot too (could just be me though!)
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I'm not on any medication - doctors refused to give me any :frown:. I think I'm gonna try counselling again though.

This.

I am currently having my second round of CBT, as I was asked by my GP to 'give counselling another shot' before considering anti-depressants. I have actually found it to be astonishingly helpful this time around too. Best of luck with your counselling; I hope you manage to gain as much from it as I have this time round. :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Are bipolar people not supposed to take citalopram then? (I'm schizoaffective, so kinda relevant to me if that's the case) :smile:

I don't think so although I guess it depends on a person-to-person basis. I have type II which is the rapid mood cycling one, and basically instead of me going from moderately manic to moderately depressed a few times a day, it sent me to hyper hyper manic to repeatedly attempting suicide, many many times a day. After 10 days my friends basically kidnapped me and took me to the doctors and I think that if he hadn't taken me off it there and then I'd've had the crisis team around at best, and been sectioned at worst.

However, for people who's moods cycle less often, it works when they hit a "depressive phase", but I guess only if that phase is going to last at least a month, and then have mood stablisers when they hit a manic phase.

I think. This is only based on my experiences with my own psych and chatting to other people with bipolar.
I was offered medication last year and said no. I get almost every side effect going and did not wish to cope with depression, a few physical disabilities and whatever else on top.
Went off medication and removed my depression after this. Took a few months though, but at least i'm not on medication and having side effects from it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BigDamnHero
I don't think so although I guess it depends on a person-to-person basis. I have type II which is the rapid mood cycling one, and basically instead of me going from moderately manic to moderately depressed a few times a day, it sent me to hyper hyper manic to repeatedly attempting suicide, many many times a day. After 10 days my friends basically kidnapped me and took me to the doctors and I think that if he hadn't taken me off it there and then I'd've had the crisis team around at best, and been sectioned at worst.

However, for people who's moods cycle less often, it works when they hit a "depressive phase", but I guess only if that phase is going to last at least a month, and then have mood stablisers when they hit a manic phase.

I think. This is only based on my experiences with my own psych and chatting to other people with bipolar.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll do a bit of reading up to see whether I should have been given it or not (it was the first one they tried, back in the days when they didn't believe I was psychotic :rolleyes:)
I think it gets dished out a lot more than it should be, and seems to be the go-to drug for most doctors and even psychiatrists. When I came off Quetiapine they wanted to put me back on citalopram as a PRN and I was like "nnnnoooooooooooo wayyyyy".

I like AP's better anyway (except for the weight gain, that sucked.)
Original post by L'Amour Toujours
This.

I am currently having my second round of CBT, as I was asked by my GP to 'give counselling another shot' before considering anti-depressants. I have actually found it to be astonishingly helpful this time around too. Best of luck with your counselling; I hope you manage to gain as much from it as I have this time round. :smile:

Thanks. I found it hard to get into counselling last time I tried it though, which is why I've been hesitant. But I think I owe it to myself to at least give it another shot though.
I'm on 10mg escitalopram. Supposed to be increasing that to 15 but haven't yet.. And GP has warned me that they will be doing a trial in March with no meds at all to see how I function :s-smilie: It's quite good though, helps me sleep and I can leave the house without problems.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Thanks. I found it hard to get into counselling last time I tried it though, which is why I've been hesitant. But I think I owe it to myself to at least give it another shot though.

Yeah, I did too. :frown:

I've had five different counsellors and four different types of therapy... I think it's 'cause I've really invested in counselling this time, rather than allowing myself to be convinced it just 'won't work' again. It was, however, incredibly difficult to let go of my inhibitions initially, so I can relate.
Am I supposed to be on medication? Yes
Do I actually take it? No

Tried mixed CBT/DBT/Schema therapy for a year with a psychologist but that didn't exactly work out. Turns out you can't really cure something that's true.
Reply 19
I'm on 50mg of Amitriptyline every day. I'm supposed to take it at night but when I do it's impossible to get up in the morning. I'm also taking it for Hemiplegic Migraines. The whole "killing two birds with one stone" idea...

Quick Reply

Latest