The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ice_cube
Picked one of my housemates off it. So far he hasnt stabbed anyone, or wandered round naked.

However, said housemate off the internet did manage to forget how to get home and possibly slept on Primrose Hill. If only I had known when I posted that yesterday...
However, said housemate off the internet did manage to forget how to get home and possibly slept on Primrose Hill. If only I had known when I posted that yesterday...

I think I may have hurt myself laughing.
Reply 1302
Picked one of my housemates off it. So far he hasnt stabbed anyone, or wandered round naked.

Haha! Sounds like a good experience though. Am pondering putting a wanted ad up on there...

Original post by the_alba
Potty, other PhD students make me feel bad all the time (even now that I *have* a PhD). It's the nature of the business, if you're human and have anything resembling normal emotions, that you are made to feel inadequate as an academic. It happens to seniors even - it's the reason some don't like giving jobs to people they feel are upstaging them (and yes, roll eyes, story of my David's career). It is *no reflection at all* on you.

Thanks :smile: Just having a 'I feel inferior' week. I know I handed in a piece of crap work which was probably made to look even worse (if that's possible) by other student's work. I dunno, it's great having a study buddy it really is, but despite being part time, buddy appears to be working a damn sight more than I am. And is also internally known to both sides of the collaborative partnership. I just feel like I'm really having to up my game so much :frown:

Plus this current hideous task has so far proven that my provisional potential argument is going to fail before I've even started. Meh.

And I can't get a GP appointment until after the 19th March and I really need one! :mad:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sj27
This kind of stuff - inadequacies coming out as putting other people down, nepotism - does happen in the private sector too though. The company I was working at when I got my Cambridge acceptance is an example. When I asked my boss about the possibility of company sponsorship (he would have had to put me forward), I got told "I don't have a degree from a fancy British university, I don't see why you need one". (This from someone with a PhD and 20 years' experience when I had less than 2 years' experience at the time.) The cherry on the top came when it was announced later that year that the company had awarded a "scholarship" to Oxford for an MPhil in History...to the Chairman's daughter. The fees were probably small change to him, and she didn't have to do anything in return in terms of work etc... (Can you tell I'm still bitter about all of this? :mad:)

Urgh :angry: This is why I prefer animals to humans.

If anyone wants to see want my new foster cat is like, I'm spoilering some pictures :ahee:

Spoiler

She's extremely playful, and attacks her toys until they are beyond death. She likes to rub against our legs a lot, and she flinches a bit when you stroke her face and head (and automatically closes her eyes) which seems to be a reaction to having been hit in the past. But she does enjoy being stroked. She's very funny, and affectionate and energetic. Both my boy cats have been in to see her for brief periods, and she hissed and growled a bit initially but then just sat and watched them. I'm very proud of them, as they've been perfect gentlemen - kept a distance, been curious but not intrusive, and have behaved normally around her (not fleeing in terror, nor hissing or growling themselves). They've really impressed me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1304
She's extremely playful, and attacks her toys until they are beyond death. She likes to rub against our legs a lot, and she flinches a bit when you stroke her face and head (and automatically closes her eyes) which seems to be a reaction to having been hit in the past. But she does enjoy being stroked. She's very funny, and affectionate and energetic. Both my boy cats have been in to see her for brief periods, and she hissed and growled a bit initially but then just sat and watched them. I'm very proud of them, as they've been perfect gentlemen - kept a distance, been curious but not intrusive, and have behaved normally around her (not fleeing in terror, nor hissing or growling themselves). They've really impressed me.

Oh, she's beautiful :smile: And I'm so glad that there seems to be a lack of hostility between the cats - bodes well!

Also wondering what happened with Craggy and the house...
Oh my goodness, she is SO CUTE. Does fostering mean you have to give her back? :angel:
Original post by IlexAquifolium
Oh my goodness, she is SO CUTE. Does fostering mean you have to give her back? :angel:

One day, probably, yes :frown: Not sure when the time will come or how we'll feel about it when it does (we can already see ourselves refusing to give her back!). But seeing as black and white cats tend to be less popular with the public, and that the charity is tiny and unknown compared to the RSPCA, and that we'll be keeping her until she is adopted, I suspect we'll get to have her for a long time :smile:
One day, probably, yes :frown: Not sure when the time will come or how we'll feel about it when it does (we can already see ourselves refusing to give her back!). But seeing as black and white cats tend to be less popular with the public, and that the charity is tiny and unknown compared to the RSPCA, and that we'll be keeping her until she is adopted, I suspect we'll get to have her for a long time :smile:

If you don't want to give her back, why have you fostered rather than adopted her? If in 6 months time you still want her can you shift from being foster parents to adoptive parents?
Reply 1308
But seeing as black and white cats tend to be less popular with the public

Really? I think black and whites are really cute.

Is there any particular reason you are fostering rather than adopting her?
I get on with Craghyrax better than I get on with cats ... you can imagine what that's like!
If you don't want to give her back, why have you fostered rather than adopted her? If in 6 months time you still want her can you shift from being foster parents to adoptive parents?

Original post by sj27
Really? I think black and whites are really cute.

Is there any particular reason you are fostering rather than adopting her?

We're fostering because we think it's more helpful to the charity than the permanent adoption of one cat, as they don't have a main base (plus it's nicer for the animals to be in people's homes rather than cages), they desperately need foster carers and we are perfect for it right now as we have a decent house, no children, and are at home most of the day. Plus the RSPCA's policy about euthanasia disturbs us, so we just want to open our home to animals in need. Each one we take on is being spared the ordeal of a rescue shelter, and the possibility of being put down if no one adopts them. We like to think we'll be able to rehabilitate the damaged ones as well - get them to trust humans again, that sort of thing.

I'm sure if we announced we wanted to keep her they would let us and take her off the adoption site, but that would kind of be missing the point of fostering. Giving them back is the hardest part of fostering, but we'll have to be grown-ups about it when the time comes. Don't worry, I do understand that!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1311
We're fostering because we think it's more helpful to the charity than the permanent adoption of one cat, as they don't have a main base (plus it's nicer for the animals to be in people's homes rather than cages), they desperately need foster carers and we are perfect for it right now as we have a decent house, no children, and are at home most of the day. Plus the RSPCA's policy about euthanasia disturbs us, so we just want to open our home to animals in need. Each one we take on is being spared the ordeal of a rescue shelter, and the possibility of being put down if no one adopts them. We like to think we'll be able to rehabilitate the damaged ones as well - get them to trust humans again, that sort of thing.

I'm sure if we announced we wanted to keep her they would let us and take her off the adoption site, but that would kind of be missing the point of fostering. Giving them back is the hardest part of fostering, but we'll have to be grown-ups about it when the time comes. Don't worry, I do understand that!

PRSOM! What a wonderful thing to do.

Oh ok, thank makes a lot of sense. I didnt know if it was keeping her for x amount of time until someone took her back, or something.
Original post by apotoftea
Haha! Sounds like a good experience though. Am pondering putting a wanted ad up on there...

Thanks :smile: Just having a 'I feel inferior' week. I know I handed in a piece of crap work which was probably made to look even worse (if that's possible) by other student's work. I dunno, it's great having a study buddy it really is, but despite being part time, buddy appears to be working a damn sight more than I am. And is also internally known to both sides of the collaborative partnership. I just feel like I'm really having to up my game so much :frown:

Plus this current hideous task has so far proven that my provisional potential argument is going to fail before I've even started. Meh.

And I can't get a GP appointment until after the 19th March and I really need one! :mad:

Can't you just take an out of hours appointment? Or go to (shudder) open surgery?

Urgh :angry: This is why I prefer animals to humans.

If anyone wants to see want my new foster cat is like, I'm spoilering some pictures :ahee:

Spoiler

Aww, she's lovely. If I were to adopt a cat (never will as mother-in-law has a terrible fear), I'd get a black one or a black and white one :h:
Reply 1314
Hope Cinosia is doing OK....
:ditto:

Guys, how I change the colour of my username? And can I put in a personalised line underneath, or is that just a mod thing?
Reply 1316
:ditto:

Guys, how I change the colour of my username? And can I put in a personalised line underneath, or is that just a mod thing?

No idea about changing colours, but custom titles are through 'edit profile'.
Reply 1317
Original post by Becca
Can't you just take an out of hours appointment? Or go to (shudder) open surgery?

There's no open adult surgery and it's not worth an out of hours appointment. I could easily get one with whoever, especially if I ring at half 7 in the morn, it's just I only see one GP and she only works 2 days a week! Plus annoyingly she can't do anything until I have blood tests :rolleyes: But can't do those until I get an appointment...
I think I've missed something. Why might cinosia not be ok? :s-smilie:
Original post by apotoftea
ello all :ciao: My week consisted of god awful supervision meeting, realising my next task is hideous and dry, whacking a ball around on 4 legs at speed (plus point), failing to find the stuff needed for said hideous task, being made to feel totally inadequate by other PhD student and being wined and dined by a lovely guy (plus point 2)

Hmmpfff. :frown:

What was so bad about the supervision meeting? :s-smilie:
I'm not jumping to a conclusion here, but might it be because you perhaps expect positive encouragement or praise (if you had that before in your academic experience) and now stuff seems to be critical?
There are other people on my PhD who seem to get really down in response to constructive criticism from their supervisor. I actually share the same supervisor and listened to the things that bugged this friend and the comments sounded like nothing to get dispirited about to me.
I don't know if its just that supervisors at Cam are very critical and don't dish out praise, but if my supervisors criticise my work I don't take it as a sign that I'm crap, I just see it as helpful information about how to go about improving and learning to work at this standard.
We've both just begun. You can't expect to be PhD level yet. That comes after years of practising, rewriting and learning new skills.

Original post by Becca
*Wonders what Craggy decided r.e. housing*

Sorry. My life is absolutely manic at the moment. Spending half my life away from home or ringing estate agents, and then I was in Cam all of yesterday. I just can't keep on top of everything right now.

After I posted for views on houses I went to the doctor's and thought about things. Meanwhile Dave found loads of potential alternatives on gumtree, and more on Rightmove. The Bourdieu Close house hasn't gone yet. The agents actually rang us up asking if we wanted it. I told them we were thinking about it and would decide by Monday.
Basically there are end-of-terrace and semi-detached houses around for £600 a month or less. Since noise from neighbours drives me bonkers, and we want somewhere to settle for a few years, we decided it was probably worth looking a bit longer to see if we could get some place that isn't a terrace.
Plus that sort of house (2 bedroom terrace) is really common in Norwich for that price. While that particular one was very well situated and had very nice floors and lights and things, other ones like that do steadily come up. But yeh... its really hard letting something go when it looks that nice. Even though rationally I think other equally nice things will turn up.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1319
Original post by Craghyrax
I think I've missed something. Why might cinosia not be ok? :s-smilie:

Remember a few weeks ago she decided to take a break from TSR...she was sounding a bit down, re PhD apps.

Latest

Trending

Trending