The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Llewellyn
I haven't done the whole paper (I only sat Step I) it's hard to say. The most important thing is: how close was your method to a correct method? This will probably reflect how many marks you gain/ lose. The answer itself and the odd algebraic slip won't cost more than 1 or 2 marks out of 20. But having the wrong approach could cost you 5+ instantly.

Well I had the right method, it was a pretty horrible mistake to make, but 'in the heat of exam' I was just happy to get that far. Basically this was my mistake:

Kx^2 + kx + x = 0 so x=0 but obviously it doesn't take a genius to realise that is not the only solution. So in the end You should have got 4 polynomials, and then checked to discard two, I got only the ones that should have been discarded, however I did not check and discard them. This was also the final part of the question.
My understanding is that examiners really want full solutions, not fragments, and the papers can be marked accordingly. I'm not sure how linear it is to be honest, there's no set mark scheme... Also, when I replied I wasn't sure if he'd made the same mistake on every part or just on the last part.

STEP marking is down to the examiners view as far as I can tell. And a small error could be viewed as a massive error if the candidate's reasoning and workings aren't clear. One marker may interpret someone's work to be "excellent but there is an algebraic slip" (few marks lost), one marker may not think that the candidate understands the question or what to do and so gives very few marks. From what I gather, it sounds like a 16/20 if the other parts are correct.

simple example

It wouldn't surprise me if the examiners just have a few hours training to get used to the level STEP is at, and just mark based on a list of guidelines put together by the senior examiner rather than an objective mark scheme.
Original post by matt2k8
It wouldn't surprise me if the examiners just have a few hours training to get used to the level STEP is at, and just mark based on a list of guidelines put together by the senior examiner rather than an objective mark scheme.

Can't remember precisely, but I think STEP is marked by mathmos from Cambridge, like possibly the PHD students. Not sure about official mark schemes and guidelines though.
(edited 11 years ago)
My understanding is that examiners really want full solutions, not fragments, and the papers can be marked accordingly.The examiners say this, but there's a lot of empirical evidence to the contrary (correlating scores to number of questions/half questions someone's done. We've had cases where someone has done, say, "2 full questions, 3 half questions" and got 70 marks). There are also bits in the examiners report that indicate there's at least some kind of mark scheme.

I'm not sure how linear it is to be honest, there's no set mark scheme...
Certainly for the actual Tripos exams, they are a *lot* more linear than the exam rubric might indicate. I doubt the marking scheme's that different for STEP.
Reply 224
Original post by DFranklin

Certainly for the actual Tripos exams, they are a *lot* more linear than the exam rubric might indicate. I doubt the marking scheme's that different for STEP.

There is most definitely a complete mark scheme for the Tripos (at least up to Part II). However, I don't know whether they are a relatively new development.

Agreed with you regarding STEP - there are too many instances in the examiners report that explicitly state partial marks for questions for there not to be a mark scheme for STEP.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 225
Could anyone experienced with this kind of thing please tell me how many marks does he/she think I will get for each the following:

Question 3: Did everything with perfect explanations/proofs up to the last integral at which I stopped when (1+x^2)^(1/2)/(x+(1+x^2)^(1/2))^3 came up at the very end.

Question 5: Made the graph (with a perfect explanation) of f(x) but nothing for g(x).

Question 8: Proved the first inequality and the first equality perfectly but nothing about the other parts.

Thank you very very much in advance.
(edited 11 years ago)
They are probably each worth about 10 marks.
Original post by msmith2512
They are probably each worth about 10 marks.

Sounds pretty generous for 5 - g(x) was a harder graph to draw as well as had 2 different graphs depending on the conditions - whilst f(x) was just one - I'd say 6 marks.

Say 3 sounds like 14ish though, and not sure about 8 (not looking at it now and didn't try it - cba to check it out in detail right now :tongue:).

(but then, my opinion averages out to 10 each anyway haha :tongue:)

Anyway not really sure - this just seems 'about right'.
Original post by Blutooth
Can't remember precisely, but I think STEP is marked by mathmos from Cambridge, like possibly the PHD students. Not sure about official mark schemes and guidelines though.

My informant says
"I know some of the PhD students do mark-checking, but I think it's fellows who do all the marking."
To anyone worrying about how they've done so far, don't. I made the same mistake last year and thought I made a horrendous blunder on one of the questions in STEP II. turns out in the end I merely read a solution on TSR that somewhat differed from mine and for some reason I thought I missed out an important step. and basically on the day of STEP III I was in a depressed mood and I messed up numerous exams on that day.

in the end all went well and I'm at Cambridge, so don't worry about how you've done in STEP II. you might very well have done much better than you estimated (certainly was the case for me) and it's completely useless to worry about how you've done and instead you should enter the STEP III exam with a clear head and as much confidence as possible. Even if you didn't manage to get a 1 in STEP II, if you do well in STEP III you can still look quite favourable to many colleges in the summer pool.

good luck to all of you!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 230
In the exam i got:

Q2: Got all of part one but i know i made a single mistake in the algebra in one line and I got about half of part (ii)
Q3: Had the right substitution for (i) but didnt see it to the end (for some reason) and then used the result given for part (i) to complete part (ii). Didnt do part (iii)
Q4: Finished it
Q5: Got all the graphs right except from one stupid mistake in one of the regions of the graphs
Q8: Done the first two "show that..." parts and then was have way through the equation that was equal to zero.
Q9: Only completed the first bit out of the three and started the second.

Is this good enough for a 1?
Original post by Cayne96
In the exam i got:

Q2: Got all of part one but i know i made a single mistake in the algebra in one line and I got about half of part (ii)
Q3: Had the right substitution for (i) but didnt see it to the end (for some reason) and then used the result given for part (i) to complete part (ii). Didnt do part (iii)
Q4: Finished it
Q5: Got all the graphs right except from one stupid mistake in one of the regions of the graphs
Q8: Done the first two "show that..." parts and then was have way through the equation that was equal to zero.
Q9: Only completed the first bit out of the three and started the second.

Is this good enough for a 1?

Sounds like you got about 80 which should definitely be a 1. Obviously it is not definite... but I would say very likely!
Reply 232
Original post by GreenLantern1
Sounds like you got about 80 which should definitely be a 1. Obviously it is not definite... but I would say very likely!

Thanks wasnt too sure, hopefully i do though
Reply 233
was the paper easier or harder than other ones? ive not really looked at what people thought and ive heard the boundaries are usually due to how everyone does?
Original post by Cayne96
was the paper easier or harder than other ones? ive not really looked at what people thought and ive heard the boundaries are usually due to how everyone does?

I would say it was slightly easier personally. Though a lot of people seem to have struggled and I owuld imagine these are the ones that are restricting themselves to the pure questions!
Reply 235
Guys for q2 I got the wrong p(x), as in I didn't get the ones with constants, as I just missed those solutions. The two I got were correctly derived however but you had to check to find out that they actually didn't work. It's pretty obvious I'm going to lose a few marks for this, but around how much would it be (if anyone has any idea). All parts leading up to that part I did correctly just fudged it a bit at the end.

This is pretty much what I did.

Kx^2 + kx + x = 0 so x=0 but obviously it doesn't take a genius to realise that is not the only solution. So in the end You should have got 4 polynomials, and then checked to discard two, I got only the ones that should have been discarded, however I did not check and discard them. This was also the final part of the question.
Original post by Cayne96

I found this one to be pretty hard.
Original post by Maths678
Guys for q2 I got the wrong p(x), as in I didn't get the ones with constants, as I just missed those solutions. The two I got were correctly derived however but you had to check to find out that they actually didn't work. It's pretty obvious I'm going to lose a few marks for this, but around how much would it be (if anyone has any idea). All parts leading up to that part I did correctly just fudged it a bit at the end.

This is pretty much what I did.

I also did this (mind - not via the same exact mistake) I've given myself 10 in my head but maybe I'm being harsh. I just feel that if you make an algebraic error which meant your answer was very incomplete in a question that was pretty much just algebra it should cost you a lot.
Reply 238
Original post by hassi94
I just feel that if you make an algebraic error which meant your answer was very incomplete in a question that was pretty much just algebra it should cost you a lot.

Agreed - there was nothing conceptually difficult in this question and so there are few other places where marks can be lost (not discarding two of the solutions in part (ii) would be the other place)
Original post by shamika
Agreed - there was nothing conceptually difficult in this question and so there are few other places where marks can be lost (not discarding two of the solutions in part (ii) would be the other place)

Hey - thought I might ask you:

I got the ln(1+x) one fully done and perfect as far as I can see so I'll say 20

As well as this; I did the above which you quoted so we're in agreement at about 10.

I also did the first question (binomial) but as far as I remember I did the first bit, I did x^24 in the first bit but I can't remember if my method was correct or not (I assume so as I got the right answer and I'm pretty certain I didn't try just to 'fit in' an answer) - and then did x^25 right (though that was barely worth a mark probably). I got x^66 wrong because I summed all the triangular numbers required, rather than doing 2 times all but the last. I did however use the correct triangle numbers.

I also did the integral question where I got everything except for didn't finish the last part. I had pretty much gotten it at f(x+sqrt(x^2+1)) - in fact I had at one point, then got to and wrote 1/t^2 + 1/t^4, thought it was wrong and put a line through it so we'll say that I haven't but I got very close. Everything else was right.

I also did the first part of the graph sketching question and worked out the stationary points. I did the b > a+2 (I think it was something like that) one where there were 3 alternating 'humps' but did not find the stationary points - it was correctly drawn. I didn't get onto the b = a + 2

Got through the very first part of 8 (blah - 2 > 0) and a tiny bit of the next part.

Where do you think this lands me, roughly? I know this is a lot to ask so if you don't feel like putting the effort into this (perfectly understandable :tongue:) then just don't reply :smile: I feel like I'm on the wrong side of the 1/2 boundary but thought I'd get someone else's opinion.

Thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending