The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Sabrine
So you're saying that your own sources are not credible?This is just another open stunt at hypocrisy. First, you give the links implying they represent your point of view and when I quote excerpts that clearly confirm my points from the links to the sources that you gave, you reject them as not being reliable. Talk about serving one's interests!.... I'm not surprised since you attempt at confusing psychology with the study of torture gave you away.
Are you sure you know your own point?

Shall we clarify this? You said that torture was found "to be ineffective and produced less than satisfactory results". I disputed this. You repeated yourself, then you provided sources. Then you refused to read the thread, then you refused to read the thread again, finally you read the sources I linked to and declared that 'torture's immoral'.

So, again, we're back with you being unable to string a coherent thought together; does torture work? You say definitely no, I say maybe, you say it's immoral - good work on keeping up there!

I'm not going to continue this debate with you
Bye then.
Reply 81
Neo Con
No I don't agree it's a slippery slope. The CIA had been notified about specific things they could do, and thinks they couldn't do. It was tightly regulated. For example, standing up in uncomfortable positions could not be longer than 4 hours I think if memory serves me right or maybe 8.

Who notified the CIA and why was this taken as gospel? 100 years ago forms of torture that would be thought barbaric today were allowed and "well regulated". It could be proven inn a few years that these techniques caused long term physcological damage. What would you say then?

Plus. What if stress techniques werent working? Would there be a situation where you would resort to pulling fingernails and electrifying genitals?
Reply 82
Renal
Are you sure you know your own point?

Shall we clarify this? You said that torture was found "to be ineffective and produced less than satisfactory results". I disputed this. You repeated yourself, then you provided sources. Then you refused to read the thread, then you refused to read the thread again, finally you read the sources I linked to and declared that 'torture's immoral'.

So, again, we're back with you being unable to string a coherent thought together; does torture work? You say definitely no, I say maybe, you say it's immoral - good work on keeping up there!

Bye then.

Don't worry about my points, you're the one dangling on the edge of maybe, which would have acceptable were it not for your refusal to accept any counter statements.

For someone being able to bear a coherent thought process you don't seem to know the difference between refusing to read a thread and accidently missing to read a post in the thread, for which I even apologized.

Hypocrisy combined with manipulation, omg, we have a genius! Attempting to explain that you are even remotely sincere in discussing the topic, I don't see how refusing to accept information presented counter or in favor of your argument, would be insincere. Considering your behavior in this thread, I can say that you are only interested, if you even are, in accepting the information that serves your point of view, which uptil this point is still unclear, without considering the rest of the information that serves the argument counter to yours. Thus, you manipulate the person's post to make them seem like they are not making sense when it is you who doesn't seem to be making sense of in your posts.And By the way, we are not here to educate you on our opinions, if you want to convince yourself of the points of view presented in this thread, I suggest you go do a little research of your own, maybe even read something from the sources that you posted yourself.

the fact that you have only recently begun to contribute some input in this thread, if on a minimal, reflects your manipulative character.
It`s useless because people will scream anything if their toes are being hacked off or their hair is being pulled off by a machine. The people opposed to the Spanish inquisition used to experiment with priests they captured and bet them money that if they tortured them, the priests would confess to being a monkey. The priests lost the bet.
Reply 84
Marinated_in_Joy
It`s useless because people will scream anything if their toes are being hacked off or their hair is being pulled off by a machine.
Once again, that's not proof that it's useless.
Renal
Shall we clarify this? You said that torture was found "to be ineffective and produced less than satisfactory results". I disputed this. You repeated yourself, then you provided sources. Then you refused to read the thread, then you refused to read the thread again, finally you read the sources I linked to and declared that 'torture's immoral'.This the best you can do? Anyone looking at the thread can see this isn't remotely close to a fair description of events.

Your silly debating games are not helping your cause (I am reminded of the saying "When the law is on your side, pound the law, when the facts are on your side, pound the facts, when neither are on your side, pound the table").

Sabrine quoted, from your source (http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell/library/policy/army/fm/fm34-52/chapter1.htm)

Experience indicates that the use of force is not necessary to gain the cooperation of sources for interrogation. Therefore, the use of force is a poor technique, as it yields unreliable results, may damage subsequent collection efforts, and can induce the source to say whatever he thinks the interrogator wants to hear.

Which is in fact so astonishingly close to saying torture was found "to be ineffective and produced less than satisfactory results" that I'm slightly bemused that you even brought up that particular quote.
Reply 86
I'll apologise for loosing my temper but I do find babelfish translations really hard to read.
DFranklin
Which is in fact so astonishingly close to saying torture was found "to be ineffective and produced less than satisfactory results" that I'm slightly bemused that you even brought up that particular quote.
That only works if you believe that 'use of force' is synonymous with torture which isn't the case - there are plenty of ways to torture someone without laying a finger on them.
Renal
I'll apologise for loosing my temper but I do find babelfish translations really hard to read.
That only works if you believe that 'use of force' is synonymous with torture which isn't the case - there are plenty of ways to torture someone without laying a finger on them.
Which might even have been an effective argument if you'd made it instead of misrepresenting what Sabrine had actually said. As it is, you've shown your true colours.
Reply 88
Aeolus
Who notified the CIA and why was this taken as gospel? 100 years ago forms of torture that would be thought barbaric today were allowed and "well regulated". It could be proven inn a few years that these techniques caused long term physcological damage. What would you say then?

Plus. What if stress techniques werent working? Would there be a situation where you would resort to pulling fingernails and electrifying genitals?

It will always work, worked on Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. Prison causes long term psychological damage too, should it be banned aswell? DNA cleared briton Sean Hodgson who spent nearly 30 years in prison and now he is having trouble adapting to life outside.
Reply 89
Neo Con
It will always work, worked on Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. Prison causes long term psychological damage too, should it be banned aswell? DNA cleared briton Sean Hodgson who spent nearly 30 years in prison and now he is having trouble adapting to life outside.

Torture or "stress positions" including waterboarding robs the individual of all control of his or her body and mind. It's quite possible to maintain one's human dignity and selfhood while imprisoned; not so with torture
Renal
RTFT. :rolleyes:

Exectutionists? Bore on...

You've obviously got no argument whatsoever. Have fun looking clever.
Reply 91
Aeolus
Torture or "stress positions" including waterboarding robs the individual of all control of his or her body and mind. It's quite possible to maintain one's human dignity and selfhood while imprisoned; not so with torture
I think that might form the basis for an interesting definition. But it's going to depend on how you define dignity and whether anything that breaches is is 'torture' - might removing a muslim woman's hijab be torture? Or would publishing a criminal's name count?
Reply 92
Renal
I think that might form the basis for an interesting definition. But it's going to depend on how you define dignity and whether anything that breaches is is 'torture' - might removing a muslim woman's hijab be torture? Or would publishing a criminal's name count?

I see what you mean. But i think pain and "stress" have a lot to do with it. There is something very animalistic about receiveing pain wouldn't you say? I think the pain factor is enough to distinguish between simply being ashamed and being reduced to nothing.
Reply 93
Aeolus
I see what you mean. But i think pain and "stress" have a lot to do with it. There is something very animalistic about receiveing pain wouldn't you say? I think the pain factor is enough to distinguish between simply being ashamed and being reduced to nothing.
I think I'd disagree, I think that torture is about the psychological effect - whether that's achieved by pain, humiliation, sleep deprivation or a combination. I think it's perfectly possible to be assaulted and remain psychologically intact in exactly the same way that it's possible to be completely and utterly broken without. Of course, it's worth recognising that most torture is a mixture of both physical and mental and that physical torture carries it's own psychological effect.

You are right though, about the animalistic and emotive aspect of the infliction of pain, and that's what makes this such a difficult topic to discuss.
Renal
Presumably in the same way that people check all the rest of intelligence gathered?

Well the rest of the intelligence gathered is less likely to need checking than the information gained from torture - because torture is an extremely unreliable source of accurate information. The incentive is for the person being tortured is to tell the torturer what they want to hear rather than the truth. Presumably, other sources of intelligence are going to be more reliable to begin with.
n1r4v
Lie detection I guess.

The problem with that is, ordinary polygraph tests only really work when the subject is in a sound state of mind to begin with. They work essentially by measuring hanges in the "nervousness" of the candidate. But I'd imagine that people who are being tortured will be pretty nervous to begin with.

I got your PM about the other lie detection techniques - although I'd suggest that if it were possible to use accurate lie detection, then torture wouldn't even be necessary.
Reply 96
If lives can be saved, then why can't we use any methods to ensure it? I don't see what the problem is.
Reply 97
tazarooni89
Well the rest of the intelligence gathered is less likely to need checking than the information gained from torture - because torture is an extremely unreliable source of accurate information. The incentive is for the person being tortured is to tell the torturer what they want to hear rather than the truth. Presumably, other sources of intelligence are going to be more reliable to begin with.
Why do you think data obtained from interrogation is going to be less accurate than data obtained from any other interrogation?

Did it not occur to you that anyone routinely using interrogation of any sort is well aware of the limitations of it and has probably spent more time than you or I working out ways to reduce or eliminate them.
Renal
Why do you think data obtained from interrogation is going to be less accurate than data obtained from any other interrogation?

Did it not occur to you that anyone routinely using interrogation of any sort is well aware of the limitations of it and has probably spent more time than you or I working out ways to reduce or eliminate them.

Well if they have worked out ways to reduce inaccuracy, then I'd be interested to know what these ways are, rather than merely trusting the suggestion, just because they're "experts" and have spent a lot of time doing this.
However, if it were that easy to reduce inaccuracy, once again I'd sugget they just go and visit a fortune teller for all the difference it would make. It's a very inaccurate method of getting information - but of course, they're experts who spend ages working out ways to reduce inaccuracy. It shouldn't be a problem.

But in any case, I think that is exactly the reason why torture for the sake of information (rather than for the sake of punishment) doesn't appear to be one of the most popular methods at the moment - and is in fact prohibited under international law anyway.
Reply 99
tazarooni89
Well if they have worked out ways to reduce inaccuracy, then I'd be interested to know what these ways are, rather than merely trusting the suggestion, just because they're "experts" and have spent a lot of time doing this.
Well, people who spend day after day, year after year, interrogating people are going to know more about it - otherwise the police, the intelligence services, the military and a handful of private companies would be queuing up to employ maths students to tell them how to do their job.

However, since we've arrived here, off the top of my head I can think of several very simple ways to verify what someone tells you; from interrogating the people they're connected with to going to have a look to, using SIGINT or imagery.

But in any case, I think that is exactly the reason why torture for the sake of information (rather than for the sake of punishment) doesn't appear to be one of the most popular methods at the moment - and is in fact prohibited under international law anyway.
If it isn't one of the most popular methods why are so many countries using it? As to 'international law', I thought we'd already established that something's standing in law is not a comment on it's efficacy or absolute morality.

Latest

Trending

Trending