The Student Room Group

Senator Edward Kennedy dies at 77

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8221686.stm

Veteran US Senator Edward Kennedy, the brother of former President John F Kennedy, has died at 77, after a long battle with a brain tumour.

He became a Democratic Massachusetts senator in 1962, replacing his brother when he resigned to become president, and was re-elected seven times.

Senator Kennedy was a dominant force in US politics for almost 50 years.

President Barack Obama, of whom he was an active supporter, said he was "heartbroken" to hear of his death.

"An important chapter in our history has come to an end," he said. "Our country has lost a great leader, who picked up the torch of his fallen brothers and became the greatest United States senator of our time."

Senator Kennedy had championed issues such as education and healthcare, central to Mr Obama's first term.

The liberal lion's mighty roar may now fall silent, but his dream shall never die

Harry Reid
Senate Majority leader

Senator Edward Kennedy: Your comments
Kennedy family statement
In quotes: Edward Kennedy tributes
In 2006, Time magazine named him as one of America's "Ten Best Senators" saying that he had "amassed a titanic record of legislation affecting the lives of virtually every man, woman and child in the country".

The BBC's Richard Lister in Washington says Senator Kennedy, known affectionately as Teddy, will be remembered as one of the most effective and popular legislators in American history.

Our correspondent says he was also skilled at forging alliances across party lines: pushing an education initiative with President George W Bush, and immigration reform with Republican John McCain.

But he was a fierce critic of the Bush administration, in particular over Iraq and the prisoner abuse scandal.

He will also be remembered as a staunch supporter of Irish Republicanism - at one time calling for British troops to leave Northern Ireland - although he was later involved in the peace process leading to the Good Friday Agreement.

This is the cause of my life... Now the issue has more meaning for me - and more urgency - than ever before, but it's always been deeply personal, because the importance of healthcare has been a recurrent lesson throughout most of my 77 years

Edward Kennedy

Senator Kennedy's Newsweek article on healthcare, July 2009
Senate Majority leader Harry Reid said the Kennedy family and the Senate had "together lost our patriarch".

"The liberal lion's mighty roar may now fall silent, but his dream shall never die," he said.

UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown said that Senator Kennedy would be "mourned not just in America but in every continent".

"Even facing illness and death, he never stopped fighting for the causes which were his life's work. I am proud to have counted him as a friend."

'Joyous light'

Dawn broke over Washington's Capitol building, the home of the Senate, with the US flag flying at half mast.

The Kennedy family announced Senator Kennedy's death in a brief statement in the early hours of Wednesday.

EDWARD MOORE KENNEDY
1932 Born, youngest of nine children
1962 Becomes country's youngest senator
1963, 1968 Brothers President John F Kennedy and Senator Robert F Kennedy both assassinated
1969 "Chappaquiddick incident" - Kennedy flees scene after road crash in which his young passenger dies
1980 Runs unsuccessfully for Democratic nomination against sitting President Jimmy Carter

Obituary: Edward Kennedy
In pictures: Edward Kennedy
Edward Kennedy - a political life
"Edward M Kennedy, the husband, father, grandfather, brother and uncle we loved so deeply, died late Tuesday night at home in Hyannis Port (Massachusetts)," the statement said.

"We've lost the irreplaceable centre of our family and joyous light in our lives, but the inspiration of his faith, optimism, and perseverance will live on in our hearts forever."

Edward Kennedy was the only one of four brothers to die a natural death.

His brother Joseph was killed in an air crash in World War II, and both President John F Kennedy and presidential hopeful Robert F Kennedy were assassinated in the 1960s.

He was widely expected to be the next Kennedy in the White House, but he was never able to fully overcome the scandal caused in 1969, when he drove a car off a bridge at Chappaquiddick near his home, killing his female passenger.

The incident helped derail his only presidential bid, more than a decade later.

But he remained active in politics right up until his death, famously endorsing Barack Obama for the Democratic nomination during a tight race with Hillary Clinton last year.

At his death, he was the third longest serving senator in US history.

Last week, he asked the Massachusetts governor to change state law to allow a speedy succession when his Senate seat became vacant.

Analysts suggest that Senator Kennedy feared a lengthy gap could deny Democrats a crucial vote on Mr Obama's flagship health reform.

His death comes weeks after that of his older sister, Eunice Kennedy Shriver, on 11 August.

Very sad news. Regardless of his views, he was a hardworking senator who devoted his life to his job.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hardworking senator who supported the IRA and killed a woman and left her to die in a car and only reported the accident the next day. Yes very sad news...
Reply 2
Rhys~
Hardworking senator who supported the IRA and killed a woman and left her to die in a car and only reported the accident the next day. Yes very sad news...

Regarding the woman, he was battling alot of inner demons early on but became alot stronger later. To be honest, he was a thorn to the Bush administration, but he was passionate about making America better and was pretty forthright.
Reply 3
Neo Con
Regarding the woman, he was battling alot of inner demons early on but became alot stronger later. To be honest, he was a thorn to the Bush administration, but he was passionate about making America better and was pretty forthright.

I understand that he did a lot for politics, i just dont have any sympathy at all.
Alot of American folk will miss him.

I, and the vast majority of Brits, will not.

It's disgraceful that a terrorist sympathiser who called for ethnic cleansing (saying Ulster Protestants “should be given a decent opportunity to go back to Britain" ) is subject to vomit-inducing tributes over the pond.

Obama says he's 'heartbroken'.

Yeah Barrack, so were all the families of IRA victims when it was announced he was getting a knighthood.
Reply 5
The very Americans who mourn the loss of this man will be the same ones calling for a boycott of Scotland; they have very short memories indeed.

But Hey, the wars over now, lets give him a knighthood…..
Neo Con

He is and always will be a murderer. I have zero respect for the man.
Reply 7
Neo Con
Very sad news. Regardless of his views, he was a hardworking senator who devoted his life to his job.

American's gunowners are safer now.
Reply 8
Oralloy
American's gunowners are safer now.

I didn't know he wanted to kill gunowners :confused:
Reply 9
Neo Con

So that gave him the right to kill? :rolleyes:

No.
Grim_the_Reaper
Alot of American folk will miss him.

I, and the vast majority of Brits, will not.

It's disgraceful that a terrorist sympathiser who called for ethnic cleansing (saying Ulster Protestants “should be given a decent opportunity to go back to Britain" ) is subject to vomit-inducing tributes over the pond.

Obama says he's 'heartbroken'.

Yeah Barrack, so were all the families of IRA victims when it was announced he was getting a knighthood.

Can you guys explain to me how Kennedy got his knighthood? What exactly qualified him for the honor? Who decides who does and does not get knighted? I believe he was disliked by the majority of Americans, he killed Mary Jo Kopechne, and really the best thing you could say about him was that he never compromised and never really backed down from his leftist principles.
Made in the USA
Can you guys explain to me how Kennedy got his knighthood?

"Services to the US-UK relationship and to Northern Ireland"

Ted Kennedy to receive knighthood
He was one of the most famous senators in America. We don't see much from the Senate in this country.

He was a popular guy, 'specially being a Kennedy.
Student2806
"Services to the US-UK relationship and to Northern Ireland"

Ted Kennedy to receive knighthood

I'm surprised Ted "The Chappaquiddick Murderer" Kennedy was knighted. Have any other alcoholic, murdering, philanders been knighted?
Made in the USA
I'm surprised Ted "The Chappaquiddick Murderer" Kennedy was knighted. Have any other alcoholic, murdering, philanders been knighted?

I'm not surprised to be honest. Some other people who have received honorary knighthoods include Ceauşescu, Mussolini and Robert Mugabe (obviously all have been rescinded, but still...)
Reply 15
Hes only famous because he was a Kennedy...
Reply 16
Hasan
I didn't know he wanted to kill gunowners :confused:

He wanted to *disarm* gunowners (in violation of their civil rights).
Harris
Hes only famous because he was a Kennedy...

Meaning all the other Kennedy's should be equally famous.

Oh wait....
imo the knighthood was a way for the British to tell the Americans they're neutral in northern Ireland
He was a murderer, it's that simple.

Latest

Trending

Trending