The Student Room Group

Am I doomed?

I am a disabled research postgrad getting pushed out of my course because those supervising faculty staff played tricks on me. The university administrators are shielding them and refusing to investigate my reports of discrimination even though I got a ton of evidence from FOI request.

I am currently in the later part of the stage 2 appeal, when my appeal is about to be assessed by the Senate assessors, one of whom would be an unknown academic staff and the other would be a student union sabbatical officer. The Senate officer told me they might not be able to update me further until the end of January, so I am still waiting anxiously nowadays while having to look for houses frantically, in case the appeal fails and I have to vacate my hall flat.

I am not sure if the odds are good, nor could the student union advocate tell it, though he did mention previously that the chance of an appeal being granted a Senate Hearing was very low.

I did speak to my lawyer about this, who told me to wait for the final outcome, either of the appeal or the public ombudsman investigation, kind of feel like I can't do much but listen to him since he is the only lawyer in the area willing to take my case, despite my limited affordability.

Honestly, I simply have the impression that the Senate Assessors or any higher-ups would not overturn the decision made by those faculty staff. University staff circle is tight-knit and tends to mutual protection rather than self-reflection. They either know each other or don't want to affect their own career by antagonising each other, so there seems to be a very low chance of my appeal being successful.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am a disabled research postgrad getting pushed out of my course because those supervising faculty staff played tricks on me. The university administrators are shielding them and refusing to investigate my reports of discrimination even though I got a ton of evidence from FOI request.

I am currently in the later part of the stage 2 appeal, when my appeal is about to be assessed by the Senate assessors, one of whom would be an unknown academic staff and the other would be a student union sabbatical officer. The Senate officer told me they might not be able to update me further until the end of January, so I am still waiting anxiously nowadays while having to look for houses frantically, in case the appeal fails and I have to vacate my hall flat.

I am not sure if the odds are good, nor could the student union advocate tell it, though he did mention previously that the chance of an appeal being granted a Senate Hearing was very low.

I did speak to my lawyer about this, who told me to wait for the final outcome, either of the appeal or the public ombudsman investigation, kind of feel like I can't do much but listen to him since he is the only lawyer in the area willing to take my case, despite my limited affordability.

Honestly, I simply have the impression that the Senate Assessors or any higher-ups would not overturn the decision made by those faculty staff. University staff circle is tight-knit and tends to mutual protection rather than self-reflection. They either know each other or don't want to affect their own career by antagonising each other, so there seems to be a very low chance of my appeal being successful.

What do you think?

What are the 'tricks' you mentioned? You haven't given much context on why you're being 'pushed out' of the course (even 'pushed out' is vague, as I cannot tell if you mean that they are trying to get you removed from the course officially or psychologically trying to make you leave on your own accord), but the advice given by your lawyer seems sensible to me, and you should follow it.
Reply 2
Original post by Doomotron
What are the 'tricks' you mentioned? You haven't given much context on why you're being 'pushed out' of the course (even 'pushed out' is vague, as I cannot tell if you mean that they are trying to get you removed from the course officially or psychologically trying to make you leave on your own accord), but the advice given by your lawyer seems sensible to me, and you should follow it.

It is hard to explain exactly, but you may be able to imagine what it was like.
Reply 3
Anyone else having had similar experience in the past?
I think you've raised several threads on the topic in past and my advice remains the same, I think you have a low chance of a good outcome.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
I think you've raised several threads on the topic in past and my advice remains the same, I think you have a low chance of a good outcome.

Yes.
Reply 6
The chance is very dim. I simply hope for the best, including getting somewhere to stay before the end of the appeal process in case it is negative.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #2
Seems like you’re doomed to posting repetitive threads on TSR and ignoring all the advice to move on and stop obsessing over something you can’t change.

If you’re doomed then you’re dooming yourself.

I don't know what you are talking about.
Reply 8
Original post by Doomotron
To be fair it does come across like a tough situation, although it comes across like there was some advice such as the ombudsman and local MP that was just ignored even though they seem like good places to start. The OP has also been very vague as well; as far as I'm aware what the professor has actually done has not been mentioned. Then again, I haven't read the entire story so I don't know everything.

Please disregard what I said above. After reading the entirety of the threads relating to the situation (including this thread and this thread which may be related), I am sorry to say that the OP has been incredibly unhelpful and rude, and as a result I have lost all sympathy for him. Let me elaborate:

The OP has not explained what the professor has actually done to him.

The OP has not explained why he is on probation and has failed it three times.

The OP has not explained what course he is on or what university he is at.

The OP has not explained what disability they have, and why the the conflict with the professor arose from it.

Overall, the OP's explanation of events is limitingly vague, to the extent that little useful advice can be given. When asked to elaborate on the above points to help other users help with the situation, he reacts aggressively, often accusing them of being ableist, or making erratic remarks about the members involved not understanding the Equality Act or accusing them of being the kind of people to bully disabled people in the real world. These accusations are aimed towards well-respected members of the community who are trying to help them, but who mainly left as they could not put up with the OP's terrible attitude.

Any advice given was dismissed or ignored by the OP.

While some believe the OP is a troll, I actually believe their consistent posting makes it seem more likely that the OP is telling the truth. However, it cannot be understated that the OP's poor attitude contributed to negative feelings towards him, resulting in multiple users trying to help abandoning the thread as a result of the OP's behaviour.

I am sure the OP will be reading this message, and therefore I'd like to speak to him directly: If you want help with this situation you're going through, not only must you improve you attitude towards other members, you must also be willing to help explain the situation to allow specific, workable advice to be given to you. There is no point complaining if you are not willing to be helped.

I did enlist the help of MP who couldn't do much farther than writing a few letters to them, which didn't change the mind of the university administrators. Re public ombudsman, I have lodged four complaints against the university and they are investigating or reviewing all of them.
Reply 9
Original post by undefined
It's extremely childish behaviour. I'm not allowed to explain the moderation decision made unfortunately, but I am disappointed to see the OP does not want to accept criticism. If he wants help with his situation, he needs to act very differently to others.

Because you aren't interested in listening. I explained what I did in one of the comments above to refute one of your claims. It seems you appear to be interested in unfounded personal attacks involving false allegations about someone seeking help at an extraordinary time of their life.
Because you aren't interested in listening. I explained what I did in one of the comments above to refute one of your claims. It seems you appear to be interested in unfounded personal attacks involving false allegations about someone seeking help at an extraordinary time of their life.

I'm done with this. Good luck with your professor.
Looks like the OP is just arguing with ghosts now.

I’m not sure this thread is any use to anyone.

OP: if you start threads with drama seeking titles it’s pretty likely that you will attract drama.

Do YOU think you’re doomed?
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
Looks like the OP is just arguing with ghosts now.

I’m not sure this thread is any use to anyone.

OP: if you start threads with drama seeking titles it’s pretty likely that you will attract drama.

Do YOU think you’re doomed?

Somehow, yes, because the student union's education advocate told me before that appeals going up to senate hearing was rare nowadays, but I hope for the best and would follow the appropriate ways in handling other problems that arise as a result of the current trouble.
Reply 13
Doomed? A bit bleak and a bit dramatic. But I do not see a positive outcome on the horizon. no.
Reply 14
Original post by gjd800
Doomed? A bit bleak and a bit dramatic. But I do not see a positive outcome on the horizon. no.

I have readied for the worst. I know it is going to come.
Original post by Anonymous
Somehow, yes, because the student union's education advocate told me before that appeals going up to senate hearing was rare nowadays, but I hope for the best and would follow the appropriate ways in handling other problems that arise as a result of the current trouble.

So what are you planning to do instead of fixating on something that you don’t think will succeed?
Reply 16
Original post by PQ
So what are you planning to do instead of fixating on something that you don’t think will succeed?

Currently doing. I hope for the best.
Reply 17
Original post by PQ

Update:

The university senate has offered me a senate hearing on my stage 2 academic appeal after considering the 400+ pages of supporting documents I provided them last month. It would be scheduled in early March.
Senate hearing will take place next week. I don't hope for the best though
Senate hearing will take place next week. I don't hope for the best though
what is an academic hearing?
why might you be getting kicked out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending