The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I feel your pain and wish I could help, I don't know. :frown:
Reply 2
Ollie
Chocolate without mustard :smile:

ok, seriously, im in trouble! window says that ntoskrnl.exe is either missing or corrupted. Therefore it wont load windows and im screwed!

i am way out of my depth, can anyone tell me what to do.??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

sue bill gates? i mean, he's suing us for piracy, we should be able to sue him when his software fails to work.
Reply 3
Basically a reboot will fix the problem for you, but I'm guessing you want to keep what you have on you HD. ntoskrnl.exe is one of your systems required executables, so one way or another, you're going to have to reinstall it. It should go into C:\WINDOWS\system32 and C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 and most likely a few others. Find your windows installation disks and do a search. You should be able to select it and then do a cut paste. Once in the right directory it should work. Thats assuming your registry is still doing all the right things.
Reply 4
ntoskrnl.exe is the core (also called the kernel) of the Windows XP Professional operating system. Code that runs as part of the kernel does so in privileged processor mode and has direct access to system data and hardware.
During installation on single processor systems, Windows XP Professional Setup copies Ntoskrnl.exe from the operating system CD. During installation on multi-processor systems, Windows XP Professional Setup copies Ntoskrnlmp.exe and renames it Ntoskrnl.exe.

to put it in other words, your french-connection-UK-ed
Reply 5
A computer wuthout Microsoft is like a dream come true!
Reply 6
Now why couldn't I say it like that?
Reply 7
Ollie
Chocolate without mustard :smile:

ok, seriously, im in trouble! window says that ntoskrnl.exe is either missing or corrupted. Therefore it wont load windows and im screwed!

i am way out of my depth, can anyone tell me what to do.??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314477.

If that doesn't fix it, see:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en%26lr=%26ie=UTF-8%26oe=UTF-8%26q=ntoskrnl.exe+missing+corrupted+XP (this page is the result of a search on the Google USENET archive and seems to return a lot of threads from people experiencing the same problem, hopefully one of them will contain a solution, which works for you)

Good Luck,
a computer without microsoft is like a computer with macintosh :biggrin: heehee!

you can probably ask someone who has ntoskrnl.exe to send it to you and then replace the old file.
Reply 9
ladyblitzer
a computer without microsoft is like a computer with macintosh :biggrin: heehee!

you can probably ask someone who has ntoskrnl.exe to send it to you and then replace the old file.

or just get it off the installer cd, as RAH suggested passively.
Reply 10
ladyblitzer

It's extremely unlikely that that will resolve the program for two reasons:

1. This problem is much more likely to be due to an incorrect boot.ini file (as outlined in the above MS knowledgebase article) telling ntloadr (the Windows XP bootloader) the wrong location to find the kernel, so it won't be fixed merely by recopying this particular kernel file over the current one (as it's most likely there, Windows is just looking in the wrong place for it).

2. Even if it was the case that this file was missing, copying an arbitrary version of it from another machine would most likely bring with it many problems related to versioning incompatibilities such as with services packs and different kernel revisions etc.

Regards,
Reply 11
Sire
It should go into C:\WINDOWS\system32 and C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 and most likely a few others. Find your windows installation disks and do a search. You should be able to select it and then do a cut paste. Once in the right directory it should work. .

but how can i copy an dpaste when i cant load windows?
Reply 12
elpaw
or just get it off the installer cd, as RAH suggested passively.

Yes much safer than just copying an arbitrary version from another machine, but you've also got to take into account possible updates to this file from having applied updates/service packs to the O/S since you installed it and thus possible incompatibility problems between this file and the rest of the O/S. As I said previously, I doubt the root of this problem is a *missing* ntoskrnl.exe file, it's much more likely that it's a corrupt boot.ini. You haven't been trying to set up a dual-boot system or anything have you Ollie? Or had any other reason to muck around with the Windows bootloader settings?
Reply 13
wouldnt know where to start!.......

just did it out of the blue!

most of this means nothing to me!
Reply 14
or have you *shock* been using software that somehow infringes digital rights management, which causes microsoft to be alerted, and shuts down anything remotely useful, turning your comp into a brick?

Latest

Trending

Trending