The Student Room Group

Help me pick my 5 University options please

Hi, I am a year 13 student and I am currently stuck in which universities I should apply to, so if you can, please curate a list for me and I will take a look at it, and if you cant, please suggest me good universities I can apply to. Here is a little more info;
1) I want to study Computer Science with a year in placement
2) I am predicated AAB-ABB (between the 2 have not recieved a final verdict
3) I do not study A level mathematics, meaning I wont be able to attend most prestigious universities.
4) I would highly prefer to stay in London, but if there are good universities outside of London, then I would not mind travelling.
5) I would also like a university with good course content for Computer Science

thanks!
Royal Holloway - will accept ABB as long as you are studying one of the following A levels - Computer Science, Maths or Physics.
(Original post by TrenchKidd)Hi, I am a year 13 student and I am currently stuck in which universities I should apply to, so if you can, please curate a list for me and I will take a look at it, and if you cant, please suggest me good universities I can apply to. Here is a little more info;
3) I do not study A level mathematics, meaning I wont be able to attend most prestigious universities.
4) I would highly prefer to stay in London, but if there are good universities outside of London, then I would not mind travelling.

thanks!

The good universities in London will ask for very high grades and A level Maths. You would be better off elsewhere. Here are some universities that dont require A level Maths or at least didnt 2 years ago so have a look at some of these

Computer Science without A Level Maths

Aberystwyth grade C or4 GCSE
Aston grade 4 GCSE
Cardiff grade 6 GCSE
East Anglia grade 5 GCSE. Accepts A level in Computing Science and other subjects
Keele grade 4 GCSE
Kent grade 4 GCSE
Lancaster grade 6 GCSE
Leeds grade 6 GCSE Accepts Computing
Liverpool grade 4 GCSE Accepts Computer science
Newcastle grade 6 GCSE
Nottingham grade 5 Accepts Computing
Queen Mary grade 5 Accepts Computer Science
Reading Maths, Physics or Computer Science grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 6 accepts CS, Maths or Physics
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 6 in Maths or Physics
Original post by TrenchKidd
Hi, I am a year 13 student and I am currently stuck in which universities I should apply to, so if you can, please curate a list for me and I will take a look at it, and if you cant, please suggest me good universities I can apply to. Here is a little more info;

thanks!

Hi there,

It's great to see that you're interested in studying Computer Science at university. We have an extensive list of Computer Science based subjects at Aberystwyth, you can see the full list here: https://courses.aber.ac.uk/subjects/undergraduate#computer-science

Like mentioned above - we only require that you have a grade 4 in Maths for GCSE for the standard Computer Science course.

Here are a few reason's why Aber is a great place for Computer Science based subjects:
- One of the longest established Computer Science departments in the UK
- Majority of our undergraduate degrees are available with an integrated year in industry
- The Computer Science course is accredited by the Chartered Institute for IT (BCS)

There's more general information about the department here: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/study-with-us/subjects/computer-science/

Please let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to help. :smile:
Anna
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TrenchKidd

thanks!

Hi there!
Good to see your interest in studying Computer Science. If you haven't come across it yet, the University of Kent is just under an hour away from London, which is very convenient, and you can get there both by train and bus. This is a 3-year course, and you can choose to have a year in industry for a placement where you can get valuable work experience., so that will be an available option for you.

The entry requirements are BBB for A levels and GSCE Mathematics grade 4/C, with no specific requirement for an A Level in Mathematics. The university is equipped with excellent facilities and provides students with a thorough and in-depth knowledge of the field with graduates going off to work with companies such as BT, Microsoft and the likes.

Kent is also a very supportive university; between peer mentoring, academic advisors and career advisors, you have all the support you need in your journey throughout university. If you want more information about the course, this is the link to the official website and if you scroll down, you will find contacts to the school: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/124/computer-science#course-form. The campus is located in a beautiful area of Canterbury with a rich university community and easy commute to the town centre and to London. If you want to find out more about the university while you explore your options, you can book your open day here and you can attend both in-person or virtually if you can't make it: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/visit/open-days. Here you can also find articles and walkthrough videos which are very insightful and helpful when considering where to study.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Tracy
UKC Rep
Reply 5
City University,London Metropolitan University,London Southbank University,King;s college,Greenwich University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending