The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Getting an MBA usually requires a lot of work experience, so that means you wouldn't normally be able to do it right after your undergrad degree. In other words, don't assume that you'll have an MBA in "4 years" time. You can't learn anything about management without dealing with people in the real world first. They also need to believe that you have a good reason for wanting to be on the course (at least at my uni). I assume you're also aware of the cost of doing an MBA (much higher than a typical degree).

From your OP, you sound like you want to go straight into management. Well, you're going to need a minimum amount of experience first, and when software companies interview upcoming graduates and they hear they're thinking of getting a Masters, they get a bit disappointed as it seems to indicate a lack of passion for CS. If you go with CS, when the time will come for you to try and find a job, if you tell them your goal in 5 years is to be in management and no longer developing, then you'll get passed on. Companies want to hire people who want to develop.
Reply 2
sina6002
Well, to be honest, I currently have some work experience. I'm a web developer, and I also have a web hosting company. (if these can be counted as work experience!)

I suppose it depends on the level of work you've gotten in the past. If you've done a lot of web development at a professional level (especially if it was full time), then that'll definitely count as work experience. Owning a web hosting company would also count as some sort of management/business experience, depending on its size. The bigger the better of course.

sina6002
Anyway, You don't think Bsc CompSci + MBA would be better than Bsc ITMB?

It depends on what you want. If you want to be a developer, then do CompSci and don't worry about getting an MBA.

But if you really want to get an MBA because you want to be involved in management, then perhaps you should go with ITMB? You'll learn a lot more business-orientated stuff, and thus you'll have more proof of business skills for getting onto an MBA course.

sina6002
I know it takes one more year, in total, but with the MBA, I will have a BSc and Masters degree and have more knowledge than ITMB. Am I right or I'm missing something?

Yes, you would have more knowledge of CS if you did pure CS. However, doing ITMB might be more relevant for the MBA (if you want to do that). However, if you already have enough experience, then you might not need to do ITMB, as you could count on your experience to get yourself onto an MBA course.

sina6002
And one more thing to mention is that I'm not into management. I like computer programming and I already know some languages, do pro web developing , etc. but to be honest I don't want to code till I die! I want to try getting involved in different stuff. I'm also not into research. So, This is why my first choice was something else than pure computer science.

If you're not into management, then I don't think you should try for an MBA. It's very much aimed at producing some of the best people in the field, so you've got to show that you've got a lot of interest in management. Even if you do get in, you probably wouldn't enjoy it if you don't have a passion for management. Don't try and get an MBA just because it's seen as something "prestigious". You'll bore yourself to death if you can't enjoy your subject.

So, all in all, taking everything into account, if I were you, I'd do the more 'broad' ITMB course. That way you'll gain both CS skills and some business skills. Since you don't seem to like management a lot, an MBA sounds like it'd be too much. On the other hand, ITMB would suit you well, since there'd be a lot less management (but you would still learn about it a bit, so that's good). And of course from thereon, you could continue into postgrad stuff.
Reply 3
If you want to do the MBA, then do the ITMB with industrial experience, the course if very business orientated and also has good computing basis also from your first year apparently you work on real life projects and tackle situations that would build you up and when you do your one year experience you would get accepted in most business school, although business schools want experience for an MBA, they do not have a minimum time of experience, an industrial year with your previous experience combined with all the practical stuff you have been doing in your ITMB degree should be enough to get you in. I would also have to disagree with the above post that said companies want people to develop, its directly opposite companies want individuals who can develop them, if they see you are aiming from management right from the start and you are not just talk but you have the substance a good employee would see that as ambitious. and to further emphasise my point, here is an email from Harvard Business School, I sent them inquiring about the degree and the work experience.

"At HBS, we truly value the quality of your experience versus the number of years you have been employed. Our admissions criteria of leadership potential, academic success and personal excellence is used consistently for all applicants. Therefore, it is critical that you individually assess when you can best demonstrate excellence in those areas to determine your readiness for our program. Some individuals will have experiences before graduation that provide these opportunities. Others will need to spend a few years in full time professional positions to gain these experiences.

As we use the case study method as our primary learning tool in the classroom, it is important that all individuals are equally able to learn from the perspectives of others and contribute to the classroom learning (both teach and learn roles). Everyone is on a different professional path - so you need to determine individually when is the optimal time for you to apply. We would suggest that you use the essay questions to test whether you are ready to apply. If you can clearly and passionately explain why an MBA is right for you now, and how you will uniquely contribute to the perspectives of your classmates, you are ready. If you think you need additional business content/perspective in order to benefit from the discussion and case study learning model, you might benefit from spending a few years in a full time work experience..... and then apply."

So you see, its not how many years you have done its the quality of what you've done and what you can demonstrate from your passed achievements, I guess if thats what one of the worlds top business schools require, you shouldn't worry about the rest! I say, do the ITMB, study real real hard, get a first in your 1st and 2nd year get a really good industrial placement which would be easy with the ITMB degree and apply, if you are a good leader they will see it. heres the itmb official website - itmb.co.uk (how many degrees have their own website ? ).

Good luck in whatever decision you make :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending