The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

IMB - UCL - Application help

Hi. I am a current year 13 student looking to apply for IMB at UCL.

I am predicted A*A*A* in business, psychology and sociology and I am applying for finance and international management at other unis.

Can someone help me in how to structure my personal statement? I don't have a background in IT or tech but I do so in business and finance, and this was a course at UCL that would accept me without A level in maths.

Thanks!
Hi, I am a IMB student at UCL. While constructing your personal statement, I would suggest you write about how "technology impact business". We don't go deep in tech modules but we emphasis the utilisation of various technologies in various business sectors. You may explain the linkage between your daily exposure in IT (such as some new products or news) and your knowledge in the business sector.

Some more bg info, the three common pathways of our graduates are

Finance (including ibanks, usually in middle offices)

Consultancy

Tech (more to product management)

Entrepreneur
You may wish to include some of these at the end of your PS for your career aspirations. Make sure to link it with your previous experience.

University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, I am a IMB student at UCL. While constructing your personal statement, I would suggest you write about how "technology impact business". We don't go deep in tech modules but we emphasis the utilisation of various technologies in various business sectors. You may explain the linkage between your daily exposure in IT (such as some new products or news) and your knowledge in the business sector.

Consultancy

Entrepreneur
You may wish to include some of these at the end of your PS for your career aspirations. Make sure to link it with your previous experience.

Thank you so much ! Really appreciate it!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

Consultancy

Entrepreneur

Yo I hold an IMB offer for UCL and I have some questions regarding the course. Is the course really not worth it? cuz some people in the student room say the course is an absolute chaos that only teaches you how to look nice for job opportunities (though those posts were made 4-6 years ago).. and yeah I heard too much negative reviews on the course so I'm curious if the situations are improved now or are less infamous(?) than what I heard. Also, where do people usually go if they graduate from IMB? If I want to pursue investment banking would IMB be a good choice??
Original post by SHYoon
Yo I hold an IMB offer for UCL and I have some questions regarding the course. Is the course really not worth it? cuz some people in the student room say the course is an absolute chaos that only teaches you how to look nice for job opportunities (though those posts were made 4-6 years ago).. and yeah I heard too much negative reviews on the course so I'm curious if the situations are improved now or are less infamous(?) than what I heard. Also, where do people usually go if they graduate from IMB? If I want to pursue investment banking would IMB be a good choice??

Hi, I am an IMB student at UCL (same as the one above).

To say whether this course is worthy or not, it hugely depends on what do you expect to gain from this course. If you plan to learn lots of hard skills, this might not be a suitable program for you. We do not dig very deep into IT but start from the basics as it is intended for students with no technical background, but we are having 3 elective modules in year 2 and 3, which you may explore your own interest.

Although School of Management is under the Engineering Faculty, don't be misled that computer science / maths content is involved. It has a very very clear distinction with the CS program.

Also, I have to say this course is definitely NOT an absolute chaos. Two or three years ago, we have our new program director who takes our feedback and comments very seriously. You will be asked to fill in countless of surveys for every module and the program throughout the year and they make changes according to that.

The careers and admin team keep close contact with the program director and all students. You may book unlimited 1 to 1 30-min careers appointments and approach the admin team for any issues. Usually they respond in one or two working days, quite fast tbh.

There might be some module leaders who might not be corporative, but the management will help us to facilitate the communication if our request makes sense. So just relax for that.

As I have mentioned in the previous reply, graduates go on for
1.Finance (including ibanks, usually in middle offices).
2.Consultancy.
3.Tech (more to product management, Amazon is our popular destination).
4.Entrepreneurship.

If you plan to work for ibanks, this is a good choice as we have a number of graduates working at there. According to the alumni, ibanks treasure entrepreneurial experience. This program provides you with the opportunity to learn how to create your own start-up, so it is a perfect fit.

If I have to say the downside, most of the modules are assessed in the form of coursework. Groupwork contributes a significant amount of marks as they wants you to develop your interpersonal skills. If you are a fan of exams and hate coursework, this might not be your program choice.

Lastly, you may refer to the program introduction:
Information Management for Business Open Days | UCL Open Days - UCL University College London
What they said are true, not just marketing tricks.

Hope to see you in September!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending