The Student Room Group
Reply 1
The bottom bit is always positive whatever the case because they are both squares added together .
Work backwards by multiplying both sides by sqrt(x^2 + y^2), squaring, etc but remember when reversing your argument that taking the square root has two solutions.
Reply 3
pepsigirl
That {x/[x^2+y^2]^1/2} <1

If y=0, the inequality would read "1 < 1".

Which is not true, and therefore this cannot be proven?
Reply 4
Ry4n11
If y=0, the inequality would read "1 < 1".

Which is not true, and therefore this cannot be proven?

yes... the question doesn't specify for which values, so i just took it to be all... obviously not
It holds for all y not equal to 0.
Reply 6
I think you wanted a \leq sign rather than a <<, this makes the inequality true when y=0y = 0.

When x0x \leq 0, the statement is clearly true, because the LHS is negative/zero (the denominator is always positive), so you only need to consider the case for positive x. This means you can square both sides and still preserve the inequality.

We can also consider this geometrically: if we have the points A(0,0), B(x,0) and C(x,y) then clearly AC > AB (if y0y \neq 0). Use Pythagoras and this leads directly to the inequality you want.
Reply 7
It's not as difficult as is being made out. You want to show x(x2+y2)1/2x \leq \left( x^{2}+y^{2} \right)^{1/2} (and optionally that this is strict for y0y \neq 0). How would you make x2+y2x^{2}+y^{2} smaller and end up with an expression not involving yy? What does this tell you about (x2+y2)1/2\left( x^{2}+y^{2} \right)^{1/2}?
Reply 8
G.J.Speight
It's not as difficult as is being made out. You want to show x(x2+y2)1/2x \leq \left( x^{2}+y^{2} \right)^{1/2} (and optionally that this is strict for y0y \neq 0). How would you make x2+y2x^{2}+y^{2} smaller and end up with an expression not involving yy? What does this tell you about (x2+y2)1/2\left( x^{2}+y^{2} \right)^{1/2}?

how?
:s-smilie:
Reply 9
pepsigirl
how?
:s-smilie:

right,... i thought about it again and i gotcha (doh) cheers!

Latest