The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Residential colleges

The current residential college system was instituted in 1933 through a grant by Yale graduate Edward S. Harkness, who admired the college systems at Oxford University and Cambridge University. Each college consists of a dormitory building or buildings, surrounding a quadrangle or courtyard. Each college includes a dining hall; student facilities, ranging from libraries to squash courts to darkrooms; and a few faculty, including a Dean, a Master, and two or more Resident Fellows. Most college buildings also features distinctive architecture, and each has developed a different flavor or area of emphasis. Although Yale students take part in academic and social programs across the university, and all of Yale's 2,000 courses are open to undergraduates from any college, each college has a carefully constructed academic and social structure for its students, including seminars, social events, and Master's Teas with notable guests from around the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yale_College
Reply 41
Sounds utterly pointless and insular to me.
Reply 42
Lancaster is much more collegiate than York (I'm familiar with them both). However, it is obviously much less collegiate than Oxford, Cambride or Durham. I have no idea about Kent.

At Lancaster, you specify which college you want to be a part of (as part of the accommodation application process). Each college has it's own bar, social activities, sports clubs, pastoral care and (for the most part) a variety of accommodation types on offer. There is, without a doubt, a strong sense of college community, pride & rivalry between the different colleges.

At York, you get assigned to a college based on the type of accommodation you want. There are fewer college socials organised and less of a college spirit. Also, I did hear they were trying to abolish the collegiate system, although I'm not certain of that.

Hope that helps!

Latest

Trending

Trending