The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

What is the most diverse college?

I'm a Pakistani and want to apply to Durham university, and am looking for a diverse college with many nationalities. The last thing I want is loads of racism.

I'm looking for catered accommodation, and am looking to do a science degree. I want some fairly nice rooms.

Thanks,
I dont know how much truth there is in it, but Aidens has a reputation for being the most diverse college. Its catered and no more than 10 minutes walk from the science site. Hope this helps!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by totallyrandom
I'm a Pakistani and want to apply to Durham university, and am looking for a diverse college with many nationalities. The last thing I want is loads of racism.

I'm looking for catered accommodation, and am looking to do a science degree. I want some fairly nice rooms.

Thanks,

Honestly, Durham is more divided along socio-economic lines than racial. With the bailey colleges being of the upper classes than the hill ones. While you may have the occasional student taking the piss (making a friendly joke) about your ethnicity, there isn't going to be "loads of racism"
Can i just say that it is highly offensive to state that colleges who are not diverse in ethnicity are going to be racist. People didn't choose to be white, neither did they chose all the other college mates to be white. Don't make them feel bad about it. You could maybe not be racist yourself and just mingle whoever is there regardless of ethnicity?
Original post by totallyrandom

Thanks,

I know this is super old, but I was wondering if could tell about your experience at Durham as a POC?
Original post by Anonymous
I know this is super old, but I was wondering if could tell about your experience at Durham as a POC?

Dude hasn’t posted since 2016/2017 so you won’t get an answer. In my experience (not at Durham) all universities try and ultimately have to be as inclusive as possible in terms of ethnic/religious and gender diversity.

Hi,

I'm currently at Durham and I can tell you about my experiences as a POC. At first, it was weird adjusting but I found a group of friends who I naturally gravitated to and we were able to discuss any issues we were having and feel heard. It was super helpful that my college had a BAME society and that I joined the Durham People of Colour Association as I could find people who wanted to celebrate similar cultural events or had tips on where to find stuff like a hairdresser in Durham.

Within my degree (History), the movement to decolonise the curriculum allowed me to push for changes I wanted such as modules I was interested in and projects I wanted to be done with the support from the department.

When looking at the Durham university demographics, I was able to push for more scholarships to increase the number of people from the global majority coming to Durham seen with the Spotlight Scholarship - https://www.durhamstudenttheatre.org/spotlight-scholarship/

Truly, your experience at Durham will be whatever you make it as there is so much opportunity to push for change and awareness which I tried to do but I do understand that it was a lot of work when many people just want to come university to study and have fun!

Hope me explaining my experience was helpful!

-Lamesha (Official DU Rep)
Reply 7
Original post by The Antagonist
Can i just say that it is highly offensive to state that colleges who are not diverse in ethnicity are going to be racist. People didn't choose to be white, neither did they chose all the other college mates to be white. Don't make them feel bad about it. You could maybe not be racist yourself and just mingle whoever is there regardless of ethnicity?

We have just been to an open day at Durham; this is a very scary place. Apparently, the Bailey have a place called “The Hill” for anyone who isn’t and upper/ middle class. The phrase they use is “Outsourcing”. Anyone who can’t afford The Bailey is “outsourced” to The Hill.
Remarkable in todays world that institutions like this exist. I felt immediately uncomfortable.
Oxford and Cambridge have moved on. It’s still here.
Reply 8
Original post by The Antagonist

“Outsourced”
This is the phrase that’s repeatedly used to describe those students who can’t afford a catered place at “The Bailey”.
If you grew up in 1980s Britain and think times have move on then you’ll be unpleasantly surprised to find that biting lip service is paid to those other than middle / upper class at Durham University. We visited here on an open day for prospective students 2024. All I can say is visit this University, if you don’t see it then it’s for you.
Original post by AndyC456
“Outsourced”
This is the phrase that’s repeatedly used to describe those students who can’t afford a catered place at “The Bailey”.
If you grew up in 1980s Britain and think times have move on then you’ll be unpleasantly surprised to find that biting lip service is paid to those other than middle / upper class at Durham University. We visited here on an open day for prospective students 2024. All I can say is visit this University, if you don’t see it then it’s for you.

I’m not sure who you’ve been talking to, but I’m a current Durham student on the hill (who picked a hill college because I wanted the location not because I ever felt like I couldn’t be in a Bailey college) and I’ve never heard this phrase or whole idea before. To me as a student, the Bailey and the hill are simply two locations in Durham, perhaps with colleges on the Bailey that are more traditional (and a couple with a reputation of being quite posh but that does not stop a mix of students being there) and the hill colleges a bit more modern. The idea of people not being able to afford the Bailey is also kind of nonsense, as the prices across Durham colleges are standardised, and only vary by type of room/catering, not where the college is. There are many catered hill colleges too. I’m aware that Durham does have issues, but the specific ones you mentioned here are not something I’ve ever been aware of as a student. I am not saying you are wrong in your opinion of Durham here, as clearly you’ve had a negative experience, but it’s something that I’ve never come to experience myself in Durham (for context I would class myself as middle class but did go to a state school in the midlands). Personally, this is something that I feel you should complain about to the university, it upsets me that this is a representation of a university I love being a part of.
I’m not sure who you’ve been talking to, but I’m a current Durham student on the hill (who picked a hill college because I wanted the location not because I ever felt like I couldn’t be in a Bailey college) and I’ve never heard this phrase or whole idea before. To me as a student, the Bailey and the hill are simply two locations in Durham, perhaps with colleges on the Bailey that are more traditional (and a couple with a reputation of being quite posh but that does not stop a mix of students being there) and the hill colleges a bit more modern. The idea of people not being able to afford the Bailey is also kind of nonsense, as the prices across Durham colleges are standardised, and only vary by type of room/catering, not where the college is. There are many catered hill colleges too. I’m aware that Durham does have issues, but the specific ones you mentioned here are not something I’ve ever been aware of as a student. I am not saying you are wrong in your opinion of Durham here, as clearly you’ve had a negative experience, but it’s something that I’ve never come to experience myself in Durham (for context I would class myself as middle class but did go to a state school in the midlands). Personally, this is something that I feel you should complain about to the university, it upsets me that this is a representation of a university I love being a part of.

I’d also like to add that by what I’m saying I’m not trying to diminish the experience of any person affected by a class issue in Durham, just that from my point of view I don’t see it being an issue and I personally haven’t heard of any issues amongst people that I know, who are from lower class backgrounds.

Quick Reply

Latest