The Student Room Group

Molecular biology - help!

Right, yes, I've searched, but this is a little different to what I've found in past threads.
I'm interested in doing some sort of bio related degree, not sure which one though. I also like the idea of going to Durham. So I was looking, and it's molecular biology and biochemistry, which is all good. Except I need AS maths, which I haven't done.

I'm doing psychology, biology, chemistry, and art, dropping psychology in september, and continuing with the others. I can get the grades I need if I work at it.

So basically, is it worth me taking an extra year to do AS maths, so I can get into Durham on that course or should I take it as an AS level next year, or is there a similar course at Durham that doesn't need maths, or, is there another university which has similar entry requirements (with regards to grades, i.e. ABB) that has a good course? Because I have no idea what I'm going to do at the moment, and we're going to start UCAS applications pretty soon, so the sooner I get this sorted out, the better.

Oh, and I want to end up in forensics... Maybe... Well, probably :confused: :rolleyes:

Any advice/help is much appreciated :smile:

Oh, and molecular bio isn't a certainty, it is just a possibility. I'm honestly not sure which course to do!
Reply 1
Are you in year 12? Because I decided I need maths after I'd done my AS levels, and taight it to myself over the summer and took it in January. It only takes a few weeks (albeit of quite intense work), but it's an option.
Reply 2
Ellie4
Are you in year 12? Because I decided I need maths after I'd done my AS levels, and taight it to myself over the summer and took it in January. It only takes a few weeks (albeit of quite intense work), but it's an option.

Yeah, I'm in year 12. Teaching it to myself is an option, and 3 of my mates are uber clever at maths and could help. I just don't know whether or not I'm actually going to want to do molecular bio, so I don't know if I should. And I can get onto a course elsewhere for molecular bio, without the need for maths, because it's not with biochem.
Reply 3
NatSci at Durham doesn't require AS Maths... I don't think

From Durham's website:
You will need two A-levels plus either a third A-level or two AS-levels to read a degree in Natural Sciences. You may need passes in specific A-level subjects in order to read particular subjects as part of your degree. For example, you need A-level Biology (not Social Biology or Human Biology) for most Biological Sciences modules, a post-GCSE in Mathematics or an A in GCSE Mathematics or the equivalent to take Economics, Maths and Physics A-level for Physics modules, Chemistry and Maths A-level for most Chemistry modules. However, you will not need A-level passes in specific subjects to read Anthropology, Archaeology, Business, Computer Science, Earth Sciences, Geography, Philosophy and Psychology as part of your degree.

So, no AS Maths needed for biology modules.

-Kavanne
Reply 4
But if I'm doing biochemistry (which I wouldn't mind):

http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/CaZYiGY_hV4Ox-0ccEluO8NfTGC1A-Ub_Y/HAHTpage/search.HsEntryReq.run?n=619444#ER-A

GCE AS
Acceptability: Acceptable only when combined with other qualifications
Subjects and grades: required Mathematics at grade C and Biology and Chemistry.

Then for the full A-level I need biology and chemistry, which I'll have. So it's just the maths. Unless I've misunderstood something :s:
Reply 5
Fleff
But if I'm doing biochemistry (which I wouldn't mind):

http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/CaZYiGY_hV4Ox-0ccEluO8NfTGC1A-Ub_Y/HAHTpage/search.HsEntryReq.run?n=619444#ER-A

GCE AS
Acceptability: Acceptable only when combined with other qualifications
Subjects and grades: required Mathematics at grade C and Biology and Chemistry.

Then for the full A-level I need biology and chemistry, which I'll have. So it's just the maths. Unless I've misunderstood something :s:

E-mail/phone the admissions office. :smile:

-Kavanne
Reply 6
I'm on a molecular biology course at Warwick and I only have GCSE maths. There's hardly any maths in the course, the only thing is stats, which most mathematitions will say isn't maths.
Ellie4

Why did you need maths??
Reply 8
-Sian-
Why did you need maths??

For economics. It was at a stage where I was gonna apply for that instead of Geog!
Ah yes, I remember :smile: Then it was Economics & Geog joint hons...then just Geog :biggrin:
Reply 10
I think I'm going to be applying for some sort of Biochem course too and I don't do Maths either but I think I'm going to do AS Maths next year but try and teach myself one of the easier modules over summer so there's less to do when I go back in September. I'm going to talk to my Bio and Chem teachers next week and see what they say but the last time I talked to my Chem teacher he said that I didn't really need maths.
With maths, you can take certain modules (e.g. Stats 1) in November. This might help lighten the load of an extra AS.
Reply 12
Yeah, that's what my friends who do maths said. Well, they said about teaching myself Stats 1 and doing it in January but I think I'll be doing other AS resits in January. I don't think my school do any exams in November though.
UCL offer it, but it's masked as a biology degree. Most biology degrees are hidden, actually. It's odd.

As level maths isn't that difficult to pass if you're bright enough (and if you're planning on going to durham, you are bright enough). Just buy some revision guides and go through it.
Reply 14
Thanks everyone :smile:

I've spoken to people at my college, and I've been told it depends on timetables, but if there are clashes, I basically teach it to myself and get a bit of help every now and again on it.

My only other problem is deciding which course to do, because that was only one possibility (albeit a likely one). I asked my teacher of 5 years what my strengths in bio are, and I got the answer, "all of it". Which was really helpful. So basically I could do anything, which is my problem - there's so much choice I can't choose. So I'm thinking of emailing someone somewhere and asking for a bit of advice, bearing in mind I want to go into forensics. Or maybe pathology. Maybe I should pick my preferred career first :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending