The Student Room Group

University of Glasgow or University of Sheffield

Hi ,I have received a conditional offer from University of Glasgow as well as sheffield for the course Msc in Medical Genetics and MSc in Human Molecular Genetics. Both the course seems to be good. I would like to know which university is much better for research?
Original post by Swetha811
Hi ,I have received a conditional offer from University of Glasgow as well as sheffield for the course Msc in Medical Genetics and MSc in Human Molecular Genetics. Both the course seems to be good. I would like to know which university is much better for research?

Im not sure in this specific subject, so you'll have to dig around to find out which uni department is more well known in molecular genetics.

Overall very similar at REF 2014 power ranking put: Glasgow at 12 and Sheffield at 13. Which is basically no difference to overall research reputation, both are strong well respected research institutes.

I suggest you do a list of pros and cons of both in order of importance to you. Also search around both departments and look what kind of research they do and if it interests you :smile:

heyyy i have received the same offer and im in the same dilemma as you, could you please let me know which course did you finally choose? was it okay? have you completed your studies? could you provide some insights pleasee. it would really great. thanks alot in advance

Hi @Swetha811

Im Georgia a 4th year student here at the university of Sheffield. Congrats on your offers! Both university's are russell group meaning they are research intensive so you'r on the right tracks if research is your focus. I can say from my experience of conducting social research here at Sheffield is that i was taught by many leading authors in my field, therefore i felt i has access to information and experience my friends at other university's didn't.

However if you feel both univeirsty's are super close in terms of research it might be worth weighing up other elements that are important to you. For example, location, cost of living, student experience etc. Let me know if you have any Sheffield specific questions i can help you with.

Thanks!
Georgia :smile:
Reply 5
I have received acceptance from the University of Glasgow for MSc in Biotech and the University of Sheffield for Msc in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology. Which would be a better option?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending